Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 24-26/2/23

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And Mount marking Dyer? Why bring on your only centre forward with 9 minutes left? Haha
Auba is Auba for better and often worse, but when you go 1-0 down in a game that is an absolute must get a result game, you being on your best finisher and only recognised out and out striker. It's totally nuts. He is so blindsided by this striker issue. There is no room for cleverness or dogmatism some times, just get the player on most likely to score.
Did they even have a decent effort on goal?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing is there's no discernable style to their play because they just rotate individuals who all do their own thing.

Wing backs don't get forward, they don't press as a collective, the lack of understanding means there's no intuitive expectation of where players will be, what runs will be made.

They simply have too many players. Potter has used 32 players in 25 matches. That's almost 3 teams'worth. And that's on Boehly.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They simply have too many players. Potter has used 32 players in 25 matches. That's almost 3 teams'worth. And that's on Boehly.
But...
He's the manager. He's chosen to play that many players. Look at how Ten Hag handled Ronaldo and has handled an out of form Maguire. You have to do what's best for the team and what will most likely get the result. You might have 32 players but you absolutely do not have to play them. Ultimately that's down to the manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But...
He's the manager. He's chosen to play that many players. Look at how Ten Hag handled Ronaldo and has handled an out of form Maguire. You have to do what's best for the team and what will most likely get the result. You might have 32 players but you absolutely do not have to play them. Ultimately that's down to the manager.
Its a bit of both innit. If the club is buying players all day all night, it isn't exactly making it easier for the coach to create a group pulling in the right direction. It is difficult to have a fully professional training session, breakfast or really anything when you work with a group that is a third bigger than it should be.

Try bringing a team of 20 kids to a five-a-side game and see if you can keep them all happy and coordinated.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Its a bit of both innit. If the club is buying players all day all night, it isn't exactly making it easier for the coach to create a group pulling in the right direction. It is difficult to have a fully professional training session, breakfast or really anything when you work with a group that is a third bigger than it should be.

Try bringing a team of 20 kids to a five-a-side game and see if you can keep them all happy and coordinated.
Yeah I'm not saying it's easy. It's totally mental from the Mad Yank and way beyond the capabilities or experience of at least most managers. But you have to manage it. You have to say to those above (the board) and those below you (the players) that I am the manager. My primary concern is results on the pitch. This season will have to be one of transition . We will not get results by playing all of you all the time, but you're part of the collective. I need you all to contribute at all times but you need to understand that right now our priority is points. At the moment these are the players that will best give us the chance to get out of this funk.
Come Summertime we start afresh.
It leaves a fairly simple choice for players not involved. You kick up a fuss and we can afford to bin you off. But you get your head down, contribute to us improving as a club, and you have a chance. That comes from the manager. And I love Potter's style, but I think that's where someone more psychopathic might do better in this situation. And it's a failing of Potter here (albeit under enormous stress). He's too nice and too cerebral for them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Auba is Auba for better and often worse, but when you go 1-0 down in a game that is an absolute must get a result game, you being on your best finisher and only recognised out and out striker. It's totally nuts. He is so blindsided by this striker issue. There is no room for cleverness or dogmatism some times, just get the player on most likely to score.
Did they even have a decent effort on goal?
Agreed. I'm not an Auba fanboy but... play him for 3 full games, with James and Chilwell firing in crosses. If it works, great, if it doesn't then there's no point in even having him in the squad 🤷‍♂️.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry but that wasn’t a red any day of the week.

No problem with any of that - except why he gave the red so late then went straight to the screen
It was - it was two yellows.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Agreed. I'm not an Auba fanboy but... play him for 3 full games, with James and Chilwell firing in crosses. If it works, great, if it doesn't then there's no point in even having him in the squad 🤷‍♂️.
Exactly. It's not like they're scoring goals...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah I'm not saying it's easy. It's totally mental from the Mad Yank and way beyond the capabilities or experience of at least most managers. But you have to manage it. You have to say to those above (the board) and those below you (the players) that I am the manager. My primary concern is results on the pitch. This season will have to be one of transition . We will not get results by playing all of you all the time, but you're part of the collective. I need you all to contribute at all times but you need to understand that right now our priority is points. At the moment these are the players that will best give us the chance to get out of this funk.
It leaves a fairly simple choice for players not involved. You kick up a fuss and we can afford to bin you off. But you get your head down, contribute to us improving as a club, and you have a chance. That comes from the manager. And I love Potter's style, but I think that's where someone more psychopathic might do better in this situation. And it's a failing of Potter here (albeit under enormous stress). He's too nice and too cerebral for them.
In a club where you sack managers all the time, there is no need for players to take responsibility. You can see it on Sterling etc. No need to take any runs without the ball. You won't get punished - the manager will get the blame and the sack. New guy comes in, same story again. You know your team changes manager every year so you can just stay content and awful and doing a poor job because you'll never get the blame.

Takes a lot to change that mentality. Consistency and suffering. United did it with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who for years built a team of hard working players with good attitude, now reaping the rewards after further adding quality. Same goes for Arteta. We read a lot about how the stars in Arsenal didn't like him, and they had two or three similar spells like Chelsea are having now. Then got rid of the stars (as they didnt manage to bully the manager out of the club) and now they're fine.

The best way to ensure that your team is never performing is to sack the manager over and over.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I think we need to take a moment and have a minute silence for a man currently crying in Portslade after Chelsea’s loss. Easy 10. He needed an internet forum to help him sign his Grandchild up for his boyhood club (embarrassing) and he will be very annoyed when I tell him I heard the word ‘Yid’ today.

Up the YIDS.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Somehow a club that owns Auba and Lukaku and sold Tammy Abraham are playing Kai Havertz up top :facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What is Potters
what exactly is Potters style? RDZ plays the numbers game same formation and bar injury the same personnel.
I couldn’t tell you Potters style personnel and tactics changed that often.
If you asked the same question to a Chelsea fan they wouldn’t have a clue either.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Somehow a club that owns Auba and Lukaku and sold Tammy Abraham are playing Kai Havertz up top :facepalm:
I know...it is actually unbelievable...and even then Havertz spends much of his time on the right wing 🤷‍♂️.
Today Chelsea played with a false 9, a false 10, a false 8, false 7, 11... First 15 minutes were good, 2nd half shocking.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
What is Potters

what exactly is Potters style? RDZ plays the numbers game same formation and bar injury the same personnel.
I couldn’t tell you Potters style personnel and tactics changed that often.
If you asked the same question to a Chelsea fan they wouldn’t have a clue either.
It's a good question. There's not going to be a video on him like we've seen recently with RDZ. Playing players in unorthodox positions, multiple formation changes in games, profligate in front of goal. I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here