Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 21-23/4/23

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’ve seen this before, talk of outside investment. What for? You can only put in what is allowed under FFP so even though Saudi have unlimited funds they can’t splurge it all on players even if they wanted to. Anyway we have seen what happens (Chelsea) when you do. It doesn’t end well!

Seems to be working for Man City though but maybe they spent some of the millions on better lawyers than Chelsea.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Seems to be working for Man City though but maybe they spent some of the millions on better lawyers than Chelsea.
Actually that’s true and the same with Newcastle. On the other hand I look at clubs that have sought outside financing like Swansea, Burnley and Palace which haven’t worked as well. Given the choice I wouldn’t want to backed by a petrol-dollar state thanks very much. I think we are doing fine as we are.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I’ve seen this before, talk of outside investment. What for? You can only put in what is allowed under FFP so even though Saudi have unlimited funds they can’t splurge it all on players even if they wanted to. Anyway we have seen what happens (Chelsea) when you do. It doesn’t end well!

If you could get a hedgefund, or just your average run-of-the-mill Billionaire it means that you could more confidently spread the cost of everything else outside of the squad. FFP is pretty much covering just the players. Larry Loadsamoney could help Bloom cover the costs of things like; ground maintenance/expansion, training ground improvements, academy improvements, etc.

Actually that’s true and the same with Newcastle. On the other hand I look at clubs that have sought outside financing like Swansea, Burnley and Palace which haven’t worked as well. Given the choice I wouldn’t want to backed by a petrol-dollar state thanks very much. I think we are doing fine as we are.
I guess it depends on how cautious and shrewd Bloom is. If he gets the right investor, with the right attitude/ego, it could help you compete with teams who dance with devils.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It's an absolutely brutal one. I think in terms of what we have in the squad, I'd say Mac Allister is the most replaceable. He's utter class and love him, but I think the other 2 would both be bigger blows in terms of how much they affect games regularly.

It's been funny though, we thought the same about Bissouma but Caicedo was even better, there was a point really not that long ago where we were totally reliant on Trossard for creativity and then Mitoma came along (admittedly we did miss Trossard on Sunday, I will say that). See Cucurella and Estupinan also, a definite upgrade.

Owner - yes it's Tony Bloom, solely. Well this is becoming the question now, how far can Brighton go with his money alone? My understanding is that he is a billionaire multiple times over, but even with that I don't think he can realistically compete with oil barons and the like.

I have to think he's considered getting investment, however I don't think he would be willing to cede any control/direction of the club whatsoever - not in a megalomaniacal way, but that we as a fanbase all feel very strongly (given our past) about our club being owned by a Brighton fan, a man who is genuinely Brighton through and through. He has spoken about wanting his son to inherit the club one day.

If we continue to be run well my guess would be that we will aim to continue being a top 10 Prem club, basically.
Honestly it seems like every time your brand new star truly emerges, you've already got one taxiing into position behind him. Mitoma is brilliant, and yet Enciso is already looking like the real deal too. Your recruitment is absolutely staggering. You'll know better than me, but I can't think of a real Brighton flop. (I guess that's understandable as a transfer that doesn't work out, wouldn't play much and wouldn't be well known. Especially when you're not dropping £40m on them).

Genuinely, not blowing smoke up your collective arse, I think you'll be consistently challenging for Europe. Spurs and Chelsea are shitshows. They've got a massive disconnect between owners/decision makers and the actual football side of things. It's not likely to be fixed by bringing in a good manager. They've unhappy fanbases and of course Chelsea have financial concerns.

By contrast, your owner seems to know his role very well, he's appointed people who know the football side and isn't interfering like it's a vanity project. Your recruitment is excellent, both on the pitch and in the managers office. Your fans are happy and your finances are fine. Top 10 should be your minimum target. The biggest risk is how you can handle a season or two when the recruitment doesn't work out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Honestly it seems like every time your brand new star truly emerges, you've already got one taxiing into position behind him. Mitoma is brilliant, and yet Enciso is already looking like the real deal too. Your recruitment is absolutely staggering. You'll know better than me, but I can't think of a real Brighton flop. (I guess that's understandable as a transfer that doesn't work out, wouldn't play much and wouldn't be well known. Especially when you're not dropping £40m on them).

Genuinely, not blowing smoke up your collective arse, I think you'll be consistently challenging for Europe. Spurs and Chelsea are shitshows. They've got a massive disconnect between owners/decision makers and the actual football side of things. It's not likely to be fixed by bringing in a good manager. They've unhappy fanbases and of course Chelsea have financial concerns.

By contrast, your owner seems to know his role very well, he's appointed people who know the football side and isn't interfering like it's a vanity project. Your recruitment is excellent, both on the pitch and in the managers office. Your fans are happy and your finances are fine. Top 10 should be your minimum target. The biggest risk is how you can handle a season or two when the recruitment doesn't work out.
Very easy to say, but we will be continually plundered. Not just playing staff but everyone, as Chelsea have demonstrated. That’s going to be impossible to contend with until we can also offer players £300k a week, which will never happen. So enjoying whilst lasts because every dog has its day but at least the suns shining on our arse currently.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Very easy to say, but we will be continually plundered. Not just playing staff but everyone, as Chelsea have demonstrated. That’s going to be impossible to contend with until we can also offer players £300k a week, which will never happen. So enjoying whilst lasts because every dog has its day but at least the suns shining on our arse currently.
Yeah the big boys will come sniffing around for your best players, but that's true of all clubs bar the absolute elite like Barcelona and Real Madrid. If Real Madrid want Guimaraes it's going to be difficult to keep him. If Man City want Saka, Arsenal are going to struggle to keep him. You'll only be plundered if your on-field performances drop off badly. But if you get Europe (which I think you will) not only will keeping players be easier, but getting good quality replacements will be easier too. You won't have to pay over the odds to compensate them for a lack of UEFA competition.

Paying £300k a week for a player isn't the aim, surely? You're not going to get prime De Bruyne, but you can sure as shit get Caicedo to stay, or Mac Allister, or Mitoma. You can compete at the top of the table because you're well run, you can compete because you aren't going to let ambition get away from you (as Leeds, Newcastle and others did in the 90s), you can compete because as in this very post you're not arrogant, deluded or expectant. And that's from the boardroom down. You have ambition, but you're not going to gamble the house on a 'big name'.

Again, not blowing smoke up your arse but Brighton under Bloom is the model for all English clubs. Yes you need the money to kickstart you, but you don't need blood money. There is no reason why Manchester United or Macclesfield can't follow some version of your model. Plan, have redundancies, recruit well, engage with the fans, rinse, repeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here