Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 19/09 - 21/09

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
So today, West Brom full of capitulated against Everton first half was okay. Leeds vs Fulham was just an advert for bad defending. Palace played a blinder in park the bus, frustrate then take your chance tactics despite the joke decisions fully deserved the win, Arsenal looked iffy and scraped a win against West Ham. I see no team that's looked overly impressive so far.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Leeds finishing had been crazy sharp (or lucky) so far!

Just checked, last season they scored about as many goals as ‘expected’. They were 7-8 goals behind where they roughly should have been, underperformed a little bit. So far, in two games (excluding penalties), their expected goals is 0.94... so they should have scored 1 goal. But they’ve actually scored 6. Almost certainly going to revert to the norm before too long.

I found myself wanting Palace to win today. I feel DISGUSTING. But all this whinging by Man Utd fans about this ‘crisis’ they are in is risible. Really hope they carry on with this streak.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think ‘much quicker’ than Trossard might be over selling it a bit. Anyway, my point being is other than Lamptey we simply don’t possess players with pace to strike fear into the opposition, we never have the speed to knock the ball in behind the defence, it’s always got to be playing through the opposition. Just my opinion of course.

Izzy?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
By spoiling the game. Trouble is we go toe to toe with the top 6 and Pep / Klopp etc all realise we’re top 10 in terms of style, prob top 6 and are complimentary. It’s hard because we play against teams that are willing to play and most of them are slightly better on paper with bigger budgets (yet similar sized clubs and football ethos) like Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool... but then you play against teams lower down who play anti and they spoil the games and nick a goal. It’s hard being a true footballing side and not having teams willing to play the game toe to toe... but I’d rather that then be one of those horrific teams like Palace (formed 2010) or Burnley.

Blimey Sheebs, we all know your game, but come on bro, that’s embarrassing even for you !
Hopefully you had a early night, had a little cry, and you wake full of vim and vigor.
Chin up son :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So today, West Brom full of capitulated against Everton first half was okay. Leeds vs Fulham was just an advert for bad defending. Palace played a blinder in park the bus, frustrate then take your chance tactics despite the joke decisions fully deserved the win, Arsenal looked iffy and scraped a win against West Ham. I see no team that's looked overly impressive so far.

We'll see what Man City look like before drawing any conclusion. Pep will really want that title back. Liverpool were comically bad at the back against Leeds and still won and will be strengthened immensely by Jota and Thiago. It's hard to see past these two really.

I still can't work out if Bielsa forces teams in to defensive errors or if Liverpool really were that bad, but there's no excuse for the way Leeds defend. Unless something changes all their games will have seven or so goals in them, but against anyone with quality up front, they'll lose. Their games must be odds on on the BTTS markets already.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
All this Palace anti football stuff is a bit graceless. Woy is good at what he does. And, whatever anyone might pretend to think they have the most flair player in both our sides who’d absolutely waltz into our first team.

I’d love their away record against the big clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All this Palace anti football stuff is a bit graceless. Roy is good at what he does. And, whatever anyone might pretend to think they have the most flair player in both our sides who’d absolutely waltz into our first team.

Last season they lost 4-0 away to Spurs, lost 2-0 to Chelsea, 4-0 to Liverpool, 3-0 to Leicester , and 3-1 to Everton and were also defeated at Sheff Utd and Wolves.
Its true they beat us which was probably one of their best performances against a big club all season.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All this Palace anti football stuff is a bit graceless. Roy is good at what he does. And, whatever anyone might pretend to think they have the most flair player in both our sides who’d absolutely waltz into our first team.

Mind you don't get any splinters???

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Of course it works for them but considering how much they spend on player wages, how long they’ve been in the premier league, to park the bus against everyone sucks the life out of the game a bit. They even did it against Bournemouth reserves with a pretty strong side. It’s not all about possession but consistently having 20-30 percent of the ball when you’ve got a pretty decent squad makes games so boring too watch. They do exactly what we used to do under Hughton and got slandered for it they just have a better coach who’s been doing it since the prehistoric days.

They 100 percent deserved to beat a woeful united team and they’ve found a brand of football which enables them to get results, fair play. It is boring though but it does the job so fair enough.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Great start from them.

However done with an average of 26.5% possession and they're already top of the over xG table.

Can't see this being anywhere near sustainable based on that.

Mind you they managed to be massively over xG last season so maybe they're just a lucky team.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Quite a few palace in disguise on this thread, bragging about there park the bus and counter tactics.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Great start from them.

However done with an average of 26.5% possession and they're already top of the over xG table.

Mind you they managed to be massively over xG last season so maybe they're just a lucky team.

Them Burnley and Newcastle are the remaining 3 teams who play this way, be interesting what they do when Roy finally retires, Big Sam and Hughton only other managers available who play this brand of football. They’re better without the ball than with it and if Zaha does leave, it changes everything as they’d be forced to come out and play a bit more. However lucky they are, they clearly work on it all the time and it gets them results for atleast the next 2 seasons they’ll have no issues on staying up.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Great start from them.

Possession Possession Possession, is this really that important ? We had 14 shots at goal yesterday, that’s the important stat, and of course goals scored.
I’m sure you’re very happy with Potterball, plenty of pretty passing, but no real cutting edge.
I’d rather win a game with exciting quick attacking play, then trying to pass the ball in the net .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Palace could go the whole season unbeaten scoring 800 and conceding 7 and I’d still say they were anti football, lucky, bus parking smelly Croydon wankers who set their own town on fire. I don’t think you quite get rivalry.....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Possession Possession Possession, is this really that important ? We had 14 shots at goal yesterday, that’s the important stat, and of course goals scored.
I’m sure you’re very happy with Potterball, plenty of pretty passing, but no real cutting edge.
I’d rather win a game with exciting quick attacking play, then trying to pass the ball in the net .

Annoying as it is to admit it, that's a fair shout.

I am very happy with Potterball though, which remains a work in progress. This is probably the most gifted Brighton team I've ever seen but even that might not be enough to remain in an extremely competitive division.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Well you have and do spend a fortune on your players.

I'd rather my club be looking for a sustainable financial future rather than just looking from season to season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

That’s what we did to you in the 3-1 and 1-2 wins under Hughton. Glorious weren’t they?

Do you still remember Andone’s goal? A thing of brilliance you’ll surely agree? And Knocky’s smasher? Watch the goal again, you can see a Palace supporter laughing at her fellow fans as they blow up around her - fantastic stuff!

But we’ve moved on. And when we find that cutting edge in the Premier League (the same one we had against Pompey), we’re going to be grabbing 6 points from you every season you mange to survive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here