Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm still hoping Burnley continue to nause things up. Nothing would make me happier than to see them slip rather than Fulham.

I hope I’m wrong but this feels to me like a game that Burnley can get something from (they are very capable of surprising when you think they are on the ropes) and ramp up the pressure on us for Tuesday. Newcastle winning yesterday is bad news as far as I’m concerned too.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Could really have done with the Blades getting something from tonight. Then they’d really have had to come onto us next week while remaining a bag of nerves. What odds them putting in a lovely, free-flowing performance now there’s nothing riding on it?

Will have to hope they’re just bad.

I’d say those odds are pretty limited. Five losses on the bounce, last won a league game on 2 Feb, 17 goals in 32 (still one goal short of the lowest tally ever in the history of league football and 3 short of Derby’s Pl record), Sharp and McBurnie out for the season, down and out, confidence low, playing poorly.

On paper not a chance. But then again, who are the Blades playing next week...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think only the top 9 is currently mathematically safe? I dont think you could expect mathematical safety much earlier than mid-late April next season either, its fairly normal even if you end up top 10-12.

So yes, you are probably a bit stupid.

Oh gosh did I not praise GPott enough?
I'm so so sorry.

palace have Leicester and Man City next, are members of their board asking if they can eek out enough points to guarantee a Premier League place next season?

I'll give you a clue - no they f'ing well aren't.

We on the other hand would be hoping other games go to form.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh gosh did I not praise GPott enough?
I'm so so sorry.

palace have Leicester and Man City next, are members of their board asking if they can eek out enough points to guarantee a Premier League place next season?

I'll give you a clue - no they f'ing well aren't.

We on the other hand would be hoping other games go to form.

Not about GP, I was only pointing out that your talk about being mathematically safe with 5+ games to go is just one of your many perspectives that lacks any kind of real foundation. To be mathematically safe at this stage, you will usually have to be at least comfortably upper-half mid-table which is by all means possible but nothing you can "expect". Your Palace example is pretty flawed as they are not mathematically safe, which was the subject you brought up.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’d say those odds are pretty limited. Five losses on the bounce, last won a league game on 2 Feb, 17 goals in 32 (still one goal short of the lowest tally ever in the history of league football and 3 short of Derby’s Pl record), Sharp and McBurnie out for the season, down and out, confidence low, playing poorly.

On paper not a chance. But then again, who are the Blades playing next week...

0-0 draw written all over it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not about GP, I was only pointing out that your talk about being mathematically safe with 5+ games to go is just one of your many perspectives that lacks any kind of real foundation. To be mathematically safe at this stage, you will usually have to be at least comfortably upper-half mid-table which is by all means possible but nothing you can "expect". Your Palace example is pretty flawed as they are not mathematically safe, which was the subject you brought up.

At no point this season have I felt relegation was likely, despite spending the season teetering on the edge.
So I felt the need to quantify how close we still are by including the word mathematically, despite my personal skepticism.

Those less confident can still openly talk of relegation and the fact they can, without the mathematical caveat, while hoping for points against Utd, underlines what I was saying.

The point you refused to acknowledge, preferring to detour away from perpetual 'bottom 6 Brighton'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The top ten are mathematically safe now (barring an impossible turn around of goal difference) with seven games to go. I suspect quite a few more will be safe in two games time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I hope I’m wrong but this feels to me like a game that Burnley can get something from (they are very capable of surprising when you think they are on the ropes) and ramp up the pressure on us for Tuesday. Newcastle winning yesterday is bad news as far as I’m concerned too.

Burnley are unbeaten in their last four trips to Man Utd. I don't know how surprised we should be if they manage to get something again today.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think it’s better Sheffield Utd lost yesterday. Keep them with no hope or motivation going into our game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Burnley are unbeaten in their last four trips to Man Utd. I don't know how surprised we should be if they manage to get something again today.

Even worse then :lolol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think it’s better Sheffield Utd lost yesterday. Keep them with no hope or motivation going into our game.

I really don't think it matters what they did.
Last chance to take 3 points off one of the bottom 3 and we better bloody we'll take it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alternatively, it could give them freedom to play with nothing to lose...... No longer nervous about the drop etc,

I’m with you. I expect Sheff Utd to be a tougher game now. Just psychology. Previously they were drifting from game to game, but now all week they’ll probably have speeches internally, meeting with agents, thoughts now fully moving to next season. All they have now is pride + shop window.

That said if they really go for it that may play into our style.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Sheff Utd have been poor all season, that’s 32 games to date but some on here think with relegation now confirmed and within a week they’re going to put on a Barca style footballing masterclass against us next week.

They’re going to finish on a similar points tally to Norwich last season and Huddersfield the season before and their results and performances did not alter one bit once their relegation was confirmed.

I expect us to get a draw btw!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sheff Utd have been poor all season, that’s 32 games to date but some on here think with relegation now confirmed and within a week they’re going to put on a Barca style footballing masterclass against us next week.

They’re going to finish on a similar points tally to Norwich last season and Huddersfield the season before and their results and performances did not alter one bit once their relegation was confirmed.

This. What I don't understand is that Fulham need to win 3 more games than us without us getting another point. The bottom three are down IMHO, the only change might be WBA and Fulham changing places. Those 2 teams are not going to put Barcelona/ Real Madrid type performances in this late in the season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This.

Sheffield United have been down for weeks now, effectively. It's only mathematical relegation that was confirmed. We'll be playing a Championship side on Saturday night and Potter's Premier League side should really be winning - so we'll draw.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yes this. Only a few weeks ago you’d have thought Fulham were Barca circa 2011 the way some on here were talking about them also.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. What I don't understand is that Fulham need to win 3 more games than us without us getting another point. The bottom three are down IMHO, the only change might be WBA and Fulham changing places. Those 2 teams are not going to put Barcelona/ Real Madrid type performances in this late in the season.

Not easy to put aside that the Albion managed to blow a SEVEN point lead to secure the Championship title with only three games to go - including a laugh-else-you'd-cry last minute of the last game. It's not over til it's over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here