Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 15-17/12/23

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Okay. Hes disc-bearded ginger Dalek kunnt.
Harsh but fair. What he does, he does well. He does the drills - and it works - but he lacks the invention and creativity of a Pep or RDZ.
That's not wrong. It's just different. But the difference in spectacle for the punter leads to a very different customer experience...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Burnley had issued bans on Everton fans bringing banners and protest cards into Turf Moor for this game.

The warning has not been successful, Toffees fans held aloft hundreds of anti-Premier League cards before the game in their corner of the stadium.
Can they actually ban away fans from bringing protest cards to a game - what's it got to do with them?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It's an interesting question. Perhaps it should be addressed to ex-players who have achieved considerable success (Lineker, Shearer). How do they motivate themselves to keep on delivering towards the end of their careers? The manager has a role to play in the search for approval, but self-motivation must also be a factor. I would suggest there is a third vector. I would imagine the approval of a large crowd can be pretty intoxicating.
Lineker and Shearer won a massive 5 major titles between them, of which Lineker won 4 (including the second division title). Shearer won nothing at Newcastle in 10 years.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Lineker and Shearer won a massive 5 major titles between them, of which Lineker won 4 (including the second division title). Shearer won nothing at Newcastle in 10 years.
I'm happy to take that data, but it isn't really the point, is it?

By all means, swap out Lineker and Shearer, and substitute your own chosen successful ex-players, who you consider have achieved more success.

The point was, how do they motivate themselves to keep delivering towards the end of their careers. Do you see that it doesn't actually matter what player you choose?
The question is the same, whoever you choose.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

By all means, swap out Lineker and Shearer, and substitute your own chosen successful ex-players, who you consider have achieved more success.

The point was, how do they motivate themselves to keep delivering towards the end of their careers. Do you see that it doesn't actually matter what player you choose?
Personally I wonder how our lads motivate themselves for tomorrow after Thursday night. It must be hard after such an evening to get yourselves going so quickly for a 'normal' league match.

In some ways I guess we should be glad it's Arsenal - which you have to be up for to get a result, rather then Burnley (or the like) - whom, as we know to our cost, are no pushovers if you're below 100%.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Personally I wonder how our lads motivate themselves for tomorrow after Thursday night. It must be hard after such an evening to get yourselves going so quickly for a 'normal' league match.

In some ways I guess we should be glad it's Arsenal - which you have to be up for to get a result, rather then Burnley (or the like) - whom, as we know to our cost, are no pushovers if you're below 100%.
Funnily enough, I began to answer your comment, just as I was watching Eddie Howe talk on MOTD about how it wasn't easy for Newcastle to motivate themselves after exiting from Europe. You can probably tell what's coming. I would rather Brighton motivated themselves after the success of Thursday night, than returning home after exiting Europe ! Having said that, whatever Newcastle did to motivate themselves, it worked. They despatched Fulham 3-0, which I didn't expect. We will see how Brighton fare at Arsenal tomorrow....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having said that, whatever Newcastle did to motivate themselves, it worked. They despatched Fulham 3-0, which I didn't expect. We will see how Brighton fare at Arsenal tomorrow....
It helped that Fulham had a man sent off

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Odd isn't it? We are having the time of our lives, sitting nicely in the league, more points than this time last year. In Europe we are truly living the dream yet, we have had a few results like Burnley.

I reckon we'll storm the league in the new year.
One point less and 2 spots lower actually

IMG_5324.jpeg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Harsh but fair. What he does, he does well. He does the drills - and it works - but he lacks the invention and creativity of a Pep or RDZ.
That's not wrong. It's just different. But the difference in spectacle for the punter leads to a very different customer experience...
He also lacks the same attacking players than those managers.

Be interesting to see what he would do with attacking players better than Chris Wood/Ashley Barnes and DCL

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Beckham, Souness, Dalglish, Rush. I would think the main factor is the personality of the player and the second factor is the manager's ability to keep them motivated.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He also lacks the same attacking players than those managers.

Be interesting to see what he would do with attacking players better than Chris Wood/Ashley Barnes and DCL
Would he change his style of play if he took charge of City or Liverpool, or would he stick a big lump up front and get Ederson or Alisson to hoof it 60 yards upfield a la Pickford? It would be interesting to see if he has any other tactics.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Beckham, Souness, Dalglish, Rush. I would think the main factor is the personality of the player and the second factor is the manager's ability to keep them motivated.
That sounds about right. I have no doubt that RDZ can be hugely inspirational, while someone like Hodgson less so. But you're right in that the main factor is the personality of the player. I'm not sure of the age when those in your list retired from playing, but the difference in their post-playing fortunes is striking. Neville and Beckham are entrepreneurs, Souness and Scholes pundits, while Rush and Dalglish have virtually disappeared.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That sounds about right. I have no doubt that RDZ can be hugely inspirational, while someone like Hodgson less so. But you're right in that the main factor is the personality of the player. I'm not sure of the age when those in your list retired from playing, but the difference in their post-playing fortunes is striking. Neville and Beckham are entrepreneurs, Souness and Scholes pundits, while Rush and Dalglish have virtually disappeared.
Rush and Dalglish live at Anfield🤣

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Giggs played till he was 85. Scholes retired for 6 months and then returned for another half a season aged about 35, I think. Neville retired when Fergie told him he wasn't good enough any more. Rush, strangely, went to play for Leeds for a while when Liverpool didn't want him any more.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Giggs played till he was 85. Scholes retired for 6 months and then returned for another half a season aged about 35, I think. Neville retired when Fergie told him he wasn't good enough any more. Rush, strangely, went to play for Leeds for a while when Liverpool didn't want him any more.
Giggs is still playing then !

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is that the Dalglish who won the premier league as a manager after retiring as a player? :lolol:

I gather Ian Rush does quite a bit of investment in grassroots football clubs. I had it in mind that he owns a load of property around Liverpool but I can't remember where I heard it and I might be a) thinking of Robbie Fowler, or b) making it up.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is that the Dalglish who won the premier league as a manager after retiring as a player? :lolol:

I gather Ian Rush does quite a bit of investment in grassroots football clubs. I had it in mind that he owns a load of property around Liverpool but I can't remember where I heard it and I might be a) thinking of Robbie Fowler, or b) making it up.
Fowler bought close to a hundred terraced houses in Liverpool before and after retiring. They used to sing "We all live in a Robbie Fowler house" at Anfield.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I hadn't heard Ian Rush was into property, although he may be. I thought Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen were the property barons.

Dalglish must have been a premier league winning manager during my wilderness years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here