Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prem manager for Southampton?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, did someone say the Southampton stadium (ugly and soulless by the way) hadn't sold out to a sponsor?
:lolol:

What an utter REET, and he calls himself a Saints fan :lolol:

How embarrassing. Owned, twice in one thread. I hurt for him :D

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I'm sure it was called The Friends Provident St Marys Stadium.

WAS. At first they wanted it to be called "the friends provident stadium" but the fans got pissed of so they called it "the friends provident st mary's stadium" Fans were happy with this knowing it would be changed to St Marys Stadium once we didnt have FP as a sponsor, and thats whats happened.

So basically the club was founded 1n 1885 in an area of Soton called "St Marys". Later they changed their name to Soton and then later moved to the Dell. Moved back to the St Mary's area in 2001 and called the place Saint Mary's Stadium currently with no sponsor attached to it.

Can't say that about most teams with new grounds.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
WAS. At first they wanted it to be called "the friends provident stadium" but the fans got pissed of so they called it "the friends provident st mary's stadium" Fans were happy with this knowing it would be changed to St Marys Stadium once we didnt have FP as a sponsor, and thats whats happened.

So basically the club was founded 1n 1885 in an area of Soton called "St Marys". Later they changed their name to Soton and then later moved to the Dell. Moved back to the St Mary's area in 2001 and called the place Saint Mary's Stadium currently with no sponsor attached to it.

What ?

Only because no body wants to sponsor the place maybe ???

Don't make out it's a decision made for the fans because I don't think as a club Southampton have ever done that.

Friends Provident stopped sponsoring the club full stop and so the name was dropped but I bet if they wanted to continue it then it would still be called the friends provident

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

So you were essentially wrong about the recent history of the club you hold so dear.

The next sponsor chose not to take up the option of naming rights, possibly because the last name was a bit of a cock up.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
So you were essentially wrong about the recent history of the club you hold so dear.

The next sponsor chose not to take up the option of naming rights, possibly because the last name was a bit of a cock up.

You don't know what you're talking about.

...... oh dont I. Well the fact is we dont have a club sponsor at the moment through OUR choice. So therefore having no brand name in the stadium would also be OUR choice.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...... oh dont I. Well the fact is we dont have a club sponsor at the moment through OUR choice. So therefore having no brand name in the stadium would also be OUR choice.

No you don't.

Flybe ends Southampton FC shirt sponsorship deal From Daily Echo)

redneb said:
Oh and at least we didnt sell out on the name of our stadium unlike certain other new grounds.

redneb said:
At first they wanted it to be called "the friends provident stadium" but the fans got pissed of so they called it "the friends provident st mary's stadium".

You are even contradicting yourself.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I like a gratuitous dig at the South Coast club as much as the next man - but to seriously compare them to the shambles at Portsmouth can't be right. The South Coast club came out of the Premiership with a decent stadium and something to purchase for any buyer. Portsmouth pissed their premiership money up against the wall.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The difference is that a Swiss Billionaire came on the scene at Southampton and paid up their debts but prior to his arrival they had been run no better than Porstmouth with accumulating debts etc under the previous regime.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like a gratuitous dig at the South Coast club as much as the next man - but to seriously compare them to the shambles at Portsmouth can't be right. The South Coast club came out of the Premiership with a decent stadium and something to purchase for any buyer. Portsmouth pissed their premiership money up against the wall.

....and have been let off scot free, as well as being able to sign players like Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence, while still whining that they're practically fielding their youth team (another massive lie).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The difference is that Tony Bloom came on the scene at Brighton and paid up their debts but prior to his arrival they had been run no better than Porstmouth with accumulating debts etc under the previous regime.

Bit harsh BG, I know that DK ran up huge losses at the Albion, but his heart was in the right place.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
....and have been let off scot free, as well as being able to sign players like Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence, while still whining that they're practically fielding their youth team (another massive lie).

I couldnt believe it when the signed those two, Joke.

Least the are still shit and will go down, again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here