Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predict the 10 Nominees For Sports Personality of Year

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
Agree with many Murrey for top prize but how about team of the year to Wigan Warriors rugby league.Challenge cup winners plus Superleague winners.Winning team in one of our real full-on contact sports.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
They might as well give it to Murray now and save the expense of the ceremony.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yes I have always been confused by that award - Is it about sporting achievement or personality? In the case of Gazza or even David Steele, you would think it's about personality but then Faldo and Mansell won it. Suspect Andy Murray will end up winning it as he had high-profile achievements on the BBC

Never understand why people are confused by this - surely "sports personality" is just a more elegant way of saying "sports person" when you can't say sportsman or sportswoman? As for Gazza, in 1990 there was a good case that, with a declining Maradona and Mattheus, he was the best player in the world that year. Not sure, outside of Bobby Moore (who would of course have been well behind pele) we've had an English player even close to that level - the gap between messi and Ronaldo and anyone British today for example is massive (including Bale).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Never understand why people are confused by this - surely "sports personality" is just a more elegant way of saying "sports person" when you can't say sportsman or sportswoman? As for Gazza, in 1990 there was a good case that, with a declining Maradona and Mattheus, he was the best player in the world that year. Not sure, outside of Bobby Moore (who would of course have been well behind pele) we've had an English player even close to that level - the gap between messi and Ronaldo and anyone British today for example is massive (including Bale).

Would it surprise you to know Michael Owen won the award in 2001?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Would it surprise you to know Michael Owen won the award in 2001?

It was beckham in 2001, Owen was 1998 and won it based on one good goal against Argentina as far as I can recall! Just goes to show what a golden age of British sport we're in now when we have the choice of a wimbledon champion, multiple middle distance champion and the Tour de France winner. Owen and beckham were not even in the best half a dozen players in the world in those years. Gazza in 1990 however, arguably was, just a shame what happened afterwards.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it is ridiculous that Ronnie O'Sullivan is not in the 10 this year.

To win the world championship almost in third gear after a year out was a supreme achievement that only he could have done and one that will probably never be repeated.

This comes from the panel being very 'worthy' and athletics-biased, overall it is a poor year with a couple of outstanding achievements, and obviously Murray is a shoo-in.

And there are people that just shouldn't be on there this year.

If you did market research showing O'Sullivan's face and all of the others on that list plus the squads of any Premier League team, he would score a lot higher than most on recognition, and for better or worse the 'personality' aspect is not in doubt.

Plus snooker still gets TV audiences that virtually every other sport bar football would kill for in the big BBC finals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it is ridiculous that Ronnie O'Sullivan is not in the 10 this year.

To win the world championship almost in third gear after a year out was a supreme achievement that only he could have done and one that will probably never be repeated.

This comes from the panel being very 'worthy' and athletics-biased, overall it is a poor year with a couple of outstanding achievements, and obviously Murray is a shoo-in.

And there are people that just shouldn't be on there this year.

If you did market research showing O'Sullivan's face and all of the others on that list plus the squads of any Premier League team, he would score a lot higher than most on recognition, and for better or worse the 'personality' aspect is not in doubt.

Plus snooker still gets TV audiences that virtually every other sport bar football would kill for in the big BBC finals.

Its not a 'who has the most recognisable face' award though, is it? And let's be honest, his face is more recognisable than the likes of Halfpenny and Rose for three reasons:

1. He's regularly on front pages for various stuff.
2. His sport is televised for hours and hours and hours on free to air TV, for the simple reason that its the cheapest sport in the world to cover.
3. The coverage is of individual players, always close up and recognisable - not scampering about a 100m x 70m pitch in the middle distance.

He's shown great fortitude to come back so strong, but I think a lot of people would baulk at voting for someone, who by their own admission doesn't give two shits about his own sport. Even your statement 'won in third gear' speaks volumes. Why would anyone vote for someone not giving of their best?

I can't see anyone in the list below who isn't much more deserving.

Justin Rose
Sir Ben Ainslie
AP McCoy
Ian Bell
Leigh Halfpenny
Mo Farah
Christine Ohuruogu
Hannah Cockroft
Andy Murray
Chris Froome.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Its not a 'who has the most recognisable face' award though, is it? And let's be honest, his face is more recognisable than the likes of Halfpenny and Rose for three reasons:

1. He's regularly on front pages for various stuff.
2. His sport is televised for hours and hours and hours on free to air TV, for the simple reason that its the cheapest sport in the world to cover.
3. The coverage is of individual players, always close up and recognisable - not scampering about a 100m x 70m pitch in the middle distance.

He's shown great fortitude to come back so strong, but I think a lot of people would baulk at voting for someone, who by their own admission doesn't give two shits about his own sport. Even your statement 'won in third gear' speaks volumes. Why would anyone vote for someone not giving of their best?

I can't see anyone in the list below who isn't much more deserving.

Justin Rose
Sir Ben Ainslie
AP McCoy
Ian Bell
Leigh Halfpenny
Mo Farah
Christine Ohuruogu
Hannah Cockroft
Andy Murray
Chris Froome.

You are - possibly deliberately - spinning that away from the main point. The fact he is recognised, or come to that matter been brilliant for years, doesn't get him the award (although as we all know it did for Ryan Giggs). But it is supplementary, secondary evidence that this list does not reflect what people watch and talk about.

Hannah Cockroft, Ben Ainslie, Christine Ohuruogu and Leigh Halfpenny never get on that list ahead of O'Sullivan this year in a fair fight. Not in a million years.

Whether or not is cheap to cover (and it isn't) is totally irrelevant to how many people watch. Even the landscape of fragmented audiences and dozens of channels snooker holds up very strong.

And while you could have a sensible debate about whether what he did is his brilliance or the shortcomings of his rivals (or probably both), that doesn't negate the feat/story.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are - possibly deliberately - spinning that away from the main point. The fact he is recognised, or come to that matter been brilliant for years, doesn't get him the award (although as we all know it did for Ryan Giggs). But it is supplementary, secondary evidence that this list does not reflect what people watch and talk about.

Hannah Cockroft, Ben Ainslie, Christine Ohuruogu and Leigh Halfpenny never get on that list ahead of O'Sullivan this year in a fair fight. Not in a million years.

Whether or not is cheap to cover (and it isn't) is totally irrelevant to how many people watch. Even the landscape of fragmented audiences and dozens of channels snooker holds up very strong.

And while you could have a sensible debate about whether what he did is his brilliance or the shortcomings of his rivals (or probably both), that doesn't negate the feat/story.
Halfpenny does. He was an integral member of the lions tour, won the six nations and was on the IRB player of the year shortlist. I'm not sure what more he could do.

O'Sullivan? Meh. I know you're a snooker correspondent but I think that sport had it's day years ago IMO. It doesn't really have any global reach and is it really a sport? I'd say the same for darts. But I guess you and others would make a case for the opposite so consequently I wouldn't have a problem with him being in the top ten.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But who ever said that the list should reflect what people 'watch and talk about'? If it did, let's be honest, the list would comprise Andy Murray and nine footballers.

Of course people are not stopping each other in the street daily to chat about Ben Ainsley. That doesn't detract from what he achieved, which really was an incredible story (he's also been 'brilliant for years' if you want that to be considered).

People like Farah and Froome dedicate their entire lives, to making themselves the most physically and mentally perfect exponents of their chosen arts. O'Sullivan, by his own constant frank admissions, never has. His genius means that he's had a succesful career, regardless, but for me that lack of application means I'd never vote for him.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But who ever said that the list should reflect what people 'watch and talk about'? If it did, let's be honest, the list would comprise Andy Murray and nine footballers.

Of course people are not stopping each other in the street daily to chat about Ben Ainsley. That doesn't detract from what he achieved, which really was an incredible story (he's also been 'brilliant for years' if you want that to be considered).

People like Farah and Froome dedicate their entire lives, to making themselves the most physically and mentally perfect exponents of their chosen arts. O'Sullivan, by his own constant frank admissions, never has. His genius means that he's had a succesful career, regardless, but for me that lack of application means I'd never vote for him.

The point is people 'have their year' with his award. Ainslie has had his. Several of them, in fact, in Olympic years.

For some of the reasons you state I don't think O'Sullivan should have won it, and I never said that. But he should be in the 10, no question.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Halfpenny does. He was an integral member of the lions tour, won the six nations and was on the IRB player of the year shortlist. I'm not sure what more he could do.

O'Sullivan? Meh. I know you're a snooker correspondent but I think that sport had it's day years ago IMO. It doesn't really have any global reach and is it really a sport? I'd say the same for darts. But I guess you and others would make a case for the opposite so consequently I wouldn't have a problem with him being in the top ten.

Personally I think the achievement has to be out of this world to win it above team-mates in a team sport, but that's just my opinion.

And you are wrong about the global reach. It is probably the fastest growing sport in many parts of the world currently, and has a massive global reach. In fact those running it indulge its UK roots for largely historical reasons, but that isn't where the action is.

I cover other sports and have worked on a sports desk doing everything for a decade, plus I compete on a daily basis for space with other sports stories, so hopefully have some perspective.

I actually agree with HKFC that O'Sullivan comes over badly for many reasons, unappreciative of what his sport has given him, an attention-seeker etc etc. It's probably the same reason he, as a five-times world champion and most talented player in history, hasn't got an MBE when he has made more kids pick up a snooker cue than anybody. John Parrott got an MBE, he won one.

But I think you have to put aside that kind of thing when you are judging pure achievement. And as I have said, he has got a big personality, even if you don't like it, which is one of the things this award is often criticised for.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’ve stopped watching SPOTY. If I wanted to watch Sue Barker giggle at crap jokes, Gary Linekar stare at the camera in serious tone or Mo Farah run round the studio in comedy fashion I’d tune into a Question of Sport or MOTD. There will be no coverage of note for Rose’s win, the Lion’s tour or the Ashes win so all we will get is 2 hours of Murray banging a tennis ball in front of middle aged women and maybe some coverage of Ohurogu wining whatever tin pot race she won in front of a half empty stadium.

Naturally Murray will win this year but only because nobody has won Wimbledon since Queen Liz was on the throne. Is his achievement any better than Froome (remember the fanfare when Wiggins won the TDF) or Justin Rose who won major in about the toughest conditions you can? Not for me, but then neither achievement is on the BBC and has therefore not attracted any wider interest. I’ve long since considered the voting process completely odd given that Ryan Giggs won which had betting sting written all over when you looked at the amount of votes cast for him – Another reason I’ve lost interest and I’m not one of those tin foil wearing conspiracy theorists that pollute these boards.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is his achievement any better than Froome (remember the fanfare when Wiggins won the TDF) or Justin Rose who won major in about the toughest conditions you can? .

Personally, I'd say it is.

Of course the whole "no winner since Fred Perry" thing will influence it....but he has also won a the most prestigous tennis tournament at a time when 3 of the greatest players of all time are also competing.

The tour is obviously a phenomenal achievement....but it's bordering on a team sport. The fact they openly select which rider they will back shows this.

Rose is also a brilliant achievement but in a much more open sport (how many different winners of majors do we see?)

For that reason I would say Murray's win outweighs all the others and with quite some ease...which says something considering how good Rose's achievement was.

Obviously my opinion so I'm sure a big cycling fan will disagree with my view of Froome's success.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Personally, I'd say it is.

Of course the whole "no winner since Fred Perry" thing will influence it....but he has also won a the most prestigous tennis tournament at a time when 3 of the greatest players of all time are also competing.

The tour is obviously a phenomenal achievement....but it's bordering on a team sport. The fact they openly select which rider they will back shows this.

Rose is also a brilliant achievement but in a much more open sport (how many different winners of majors do we see?)

For that reason I would say Murray's win outweighs all the others and with quite some ease...which says something considering how good Rose's achievement was.

Obviously my opinion so I'm sure a big cycling fan will disagree with my view of Froome's success.

Your line about golf being a more open sport is surely the point. When you play golf you play against all of the competitors at roughly the same time (accepting that the weather can play a significant part if you get the best / worst of it). In Tennis you have to beat 7 opponents to win a major and are seeded to make life easier. In Golf its hundreds – all at the same time, surely much harder. Likewise, I’m not much of a cycling fan but from what I understand of Froome’s win, half of his team got injured meaning he did it the hard way and as much as a team sport as it is, getting up those mountains takes some doing.

As for Murray, I take the point that he is up against 3 all time greats but Federer is now 90 and Nadal lost to some club player in the early rounds. It’s only Djokovic of those he beat who had a much more gruelling semi and wasn't at his best. I couldn’t even name who Murray beat in the semi’s or qtr finals (admittedly, tennis is one of the few sports I will sit and watch for the sake of it). Anyway, Murray will win but 2 hours of him crying, Barker creaming her pants, interspersed with netball, badminton and Dodgeball from the BBC archives is not for me anymore.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the issue about Ronnie and SPOTY is his dedication to the sport. More often than personality or the number of victories it is the sheer dedication and passion for the sport that is the link between those sportsmen and women that reach the Top 3.

I agree that Ronnie winning a 5th world title after a year out is a remarkable achievement almost unparalleled in the modern era, and is testament to the pure talent he possesses for the game. Yet he'd struggle to make the Top 3, whereas Darren Clarke finished runner-up in 2006 despite having a shocking year because he played a crucial role in the Ryder Cup just weeks after his wife died.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think the issue about Ronnie and SPOTY is his dedication to the sport. More often than personality or the number of victories it is the sheer dedication and passion for the sport that is the link between those sportsmen and women that reach the Top 3.

I agree that Ronnie winning a 5th world title after a year out is a remarkable achievement almost unparalleled in the modern era, and is testament to the pure talent he possesses for the game. Yet he'd struggle to make the Top 3, whereas Darren Clarke finished runner-up in 2006 despite having a shocking year because he played a crucial role in the Ryder Cup just weeks after his wife died.

If a player can win major tournaments and to be at the top of their game without having to try, doesn't it say more about how far ahead in terms of talent they are and that they don't need to put in the hard graft to achieve this. If someone was that far ahead and there was no one capable of putting in a consistant challenge to his domination wouldn't you get bored and no longer give it your all?

Competition to his brilliance has been lacking and if you reach the peak, what is to keep you motivated and to try to make sure that you keep yourself there. Snooker isn't really a sport where you just turn up and play, and so if you have achieved everything, why would you continue to put in hours and hours of boring, repetative practice to stay at the peak?

Had he had the equivalents of Federer, Nadal and Djorkovic to challenge and drive him on, maybe he would have been more willing put in the effort and achieve the ultimate level his talent could have reached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here