Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predict the 10 Nominees For Sports Personality of Year

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Of my 10 who are you going to leave out? The Wimbledon winner? The golf Major winner? The British Lions kicking hero? The TdF winner? The 4,000 winners champion jockey for the umpteenth year? The Ashes winning batting hero? The mastermind behind the America's Cup triumph? The 16-time darts world champion in the form of his life aged 53? The simultaneous double Olympic and double world champion distance runner OR the world's most expensive footballer who lit up the Premier League in 2013?

Of that list, possibly Ben Ainsley and Phil Taylor (and maybe even Gareth Bale at a push)

I expect a top three of Andy Murray, AP McCoy (and possible shock winner if it isn't Murray) and Chris Froome

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem is after a brilliant sporting year in which men, women, black, white, individual, team etc all shone in the Olympics we've now had a very white male individual-centric year. Whether BBC accepts this and goes with it, or tries to go "all-inclusive" for the sake of it remains to be seen.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Of my 10 who are you going to leave out? The Wimbledon winner? The golf Major winner? The British Lions kicking hero? The TdF winner? The 4,000 winners champion jockey for the umpteenth year? The Ashes winning batting hero? The mastermind behind the America's Cup triumph? The 16-time darts world champion in the form of his life aged 53? The simultaneous double Olympic and double world champion distance runner OR the world's most expensive footballer who lit up the Premier League in 2013?

You have to look at what they have achieved this year. AP hasn't won 4,000 winners this year. Saying that, i don't have an issue with him winning a special award in acknowledgment of what he has achieved in his career.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'd have thought that laura robson would be in as she reached the last 16 of Wimbledon (first time a British female tennis player has done that since 1998) She also reached the top 30 in the rankings, making it to 27th, the first time a British female tennis player has achieved this since 1987.

I hope not. I am a fan of Robson, but other sportswomen such as Laura Trott are at the top of their profession. Robson is, at the moment, not yet at the top of her profession.

Having said that, I would have thought she would have a decent chance of winning the Young Sports Personality of the Year.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
How about team of the year:

Ashes winning team?
The British and Irish Lions?
Team Sky?

Who else is there?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Don't think Taylor will be there - does darts qualify? Halfpenny? great player but it's a team game, there were other heroes. Bale? Expensive, yes, but what did he win?

Laura Trott, on the other hand, has won just about everything going

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You have to look at what they have achieved this year. AP hasn't won 4,000 winners this year. Saying that, i don't have an issue with him winning a special award in acknowledgment of what he has achieved in his career.

McCoy was Champion Jockey this year for the 18th year in a row. From the age of 21 to 39 he has won EVERY year, and now he's bagged his 4,000 winner, so that's over 1,000 more than any other person in UK history. I think the 4,000 milestone is what puts him in the frame for this year.

As for 53-year old Phil Taylor, he's won the World Championship, the World Matchplay, World Grand Prix, Grand Slam of Darts and the UK Open. Oh, and the team World Cup of Darts for England with Adrian Lewis (for the second time in succession). That's the equivalent of Colin Montgomerie winning 3 golf majors and the Ryder Cup in the same year.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I hope not. I am a fan of Robson, but other sportswomen such as Laura Trott are at the top of their profession. Robson is, at the moment, not yet at the top of her profession.

Having said that, I would have thought she would have a decent chance of winning the Young Sports Personality of the Year.

We are looking for nominations so there are 2 possible female nominees. There is a good case for including Trott in the list too.

Laura Robson is probably better known to the public that Laura trott (who, I admin, I had to look up on wiki to find out what sport she even participates in - so is she high profile (or has she raised the profile of her spotr enough for her to be nominated despite her great achievements in a sport the British normally do well in unlike tennis?)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
McCoy was Champion Jockey this year for the 18th year in a row. From the age of 21 to 39 he has won EVERY year, and now he's bagged his 4,000 winner, so that's over 1,000 more than any other person in UK history. I think the 4,000 milestone is what puts him in the frame for this year.

As for 53-year old Phil Taylor, he's won the World Championship, the World Matchplay, World Grand Prix, Grand Slam of Darts and the UK Open. Oh, and the team World Cup of Darts for England with Adrian Lewis (for the second time in succession). That's the equivalent of Colin Montgomerie winning 3 golf majors and the Ryder Cup in the same year.

Is darts a real sport, would someone who dominated another 'pub' sport deserve to get nominated, someone who say, may be world toads champion, pea throwing world champion or the arm wrestling world champion for 18 years?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Don't think Taylor will be there - does darts qualify? Halfpenny? great player but it's a team game, there were other heroes. Bale? Expensive, yes, but what did he win?

Laura Trott, on the other hand, has won just about everything going

What did Gazza win in 1990, or Michael Owen in 1998? As for Taylor, he was SPOTY Runner-Up to McCoy in 2010 but in 2013 he's won more and played better, and is 3 years older too. On that basis he HAS to be nominated at least. Re Halfpenny - not only was he Player Of The Tour for the victorious British Lions in Australia but he was instrumental in helping Wales win the 6 Nations, setting them on their way with that crushing defeat of England.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is darts a real sport, would someone who dominated another 'pub' sport deserve to get nominated, someone who say, may be world toads champion, pea throwing world champion or the arm wrestling world champion for 18 years?

Phil Taylor is mentally one of the toughest sportsmen I've ever seen. Totally dedicated, totally focused, enjoys the challenge, senses the moment and seizes it. Oh that the England football team had just 10% of what he's got, they'd be so much the better for it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Andy Murray will probably win it.

Other nominees to include Chris Froome, Gareth Bale and Ben Ainsley.

Laura Robson to be included too, as the BBC would be sexist otherwise.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
What did Gazza win in 1990, or Michael Owen in 1998? As for Taylor, he was SPOTY Runner-Up to McCoy in 2010 but in 2013 he's won more and played better, and is 3 years older too. On that basis he HAS to be nominated at least. Re Halfpenny - not only was he Player Of The Tour for the victorious British Lions in Australia but he was instrumental in helping Wales win the 6 Nations, setting them on their way with that crushing defeat of England.

Yes I have always been confused by that award - Is it about sporting achievement or personality? In the case of Gazza or even David Steele, you would think it's about personality but then Faldo and Mansell won it. Suspect Andy Murray will end up winning it as he had high-profile achievements on the BBC

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What about Sir Alex? Surely he will make the shortlist?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
What about Sir Alex? Surely he will make the shortlist?

Well Sir Alex has had the lifetime achievement already hasn't he.

He's hardly an athlete these days. Surely the Sports Personality of the Year should be able to get out of his seat without accidentally farting.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thinking about it, I would add Christine Oruruogu to the final 10.

Also, the best young sports personality from the last year that I can think of is Katerina Johnson-Thompson.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How about team of the year:

Ashes winning team?
The British and Irish Lions?
Team Sky?

Who else is there?

This should certainly be the Lions. OK the Aussies were not as strong as they have been but it's an amazingly small time to have to prepare a squad of players who will be more used to playing against some of their team mates than with them. And while the first two tests were stupidly close there's an argument that the Lions could have won all three. The Ashes winning team is disintegrating in to farce and Team Sky did what Team Sky are paid to do. Neither come close to a Lions' series win.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The concept of Andy Murray winning a personality award baffles me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This should certainly be the Lions. OK the Aussies were not as strong as they have been but it's an amazingly small time to have to prepare a squad of players who will be more used to playing against some of their team mates than with them. And while the first two tests were stupidly close there's an argument that the Lions could have won all three. The Ashes winning team is disintegrating in to farce and Team Sky did what Team Sky are paid to do. Neither come close to a Lions' series win.

What about the women's team that won the Ashes? They absolutely battered Australia (and unlike the men's team, the Aussie team had a good reputation). As I said earlier, Heather Knight must be a possibility for the shortlist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here