Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre season fixtures- which are you going to?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm going to try for Aberdeen, but even starting out from Leeds it's a bloody long journey. For a 3pm Sunday kickoff i'd need to book hotels (probably in Edinburgh) for both the Friday and Saturday night.

Flights from Manchester are the cheapest route.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The DS and trialists played Lewes in summer 2013 and have their own pre-season programme often including Sussex non league teams.

As Mark Lawrenson once told me the games the pros hate are against little local sides like Lewes as the players are not good enough and try to kick their way to notoriety against there better league players.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As Mark Lawrenson once told me the games the pros hate are gainst little local sides like Lewes as the players are not good enough and try to kik their way to notoriety against there better lague players.

I've taken my lads to see the Albion in several pre-season friendlies in recent years at Whitehawk, Hastings, Lewes and Crawley. They love them, the players/managers are a lot more accessible and in recent years many of the players have signed programmes, selfies etc, and its fun for them to get a lot closer to the pitch etc.
I go because we like going to the football.
I've no idea if the players hate them or if they concur with Lawro's memories from 35 years ago. I'm well aware they're all part of getting the players fit for the league season though, that half the team will be substituted at half time and all that and that sometimes the local clubs (because its a big revenue raiser) charge a high ticket price. Although Lewes don't seem to have that much trouble getting 2K+ along for their two recent pre-season friendlies and keep prices reasonably low.

Anyway Are you going BG ?.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I stopped going to friendlies when they stopped playing Worthing which I only went to to give them some revenue from gate money.

As a side issue I think that the club should play 1 friendly at home and distribute the tickets through the local schools and junior football clubs on a basis of 1 adult ticket for £10 and must include 2 children free with even ST paying the fee and being subject to the same conditions. This offer obviously not to include free transport. This would enable more young people, our future support to go to a game. Not sure whether the £10 per adult would cover the clubs costs, if full about £10k plus food and program income etc and also possibly increased shop sales.

Marks view was that the players generally wanted to kick their way through the game and then say "dont know what all the fuss is about Rooney I stopped him"..

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
A few of us heading up to Aberdeen. Sunday morning flight (around 7am) from Gatwick with Easyjet and last flight back (around 9pm)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why do we have to have the Amex game as the last one? we stuff a few minnows to build confidence and then get battered by a giant just before our first league game...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If everything is going to plan i think i have scored a free box at the Geneva game,expect a naked gin fuelled pitch invasion circa 10 mins

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nope.

If it's a decent champions league standard of team then I may go to the home one, but again if the price is around £15 I'll go, but I never see the point in friendlies apart from testimonials for long serving players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here