Prague or Krakow?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Planning a short late autumn break...which is better? Mrs Gull wants to go to Prague. I want to go to Krakow. I've told her that the combined wisdom of NSC will have the casting vote. You decide!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
My vote would go to Prague, not been to either mind. Could do with a poll

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Planning a short late autumn break...which is better? Mrs Gull wants to go to Prague. I want to go to Krakow. I've told her that the combined wisdom of NSC will have the casting vote. You decide!

Krakow... simples. Should say I have done both many times

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Prague just about edges it for "touristy" things like the castle and charles bridge, the old town etc.

But Krakow is better for nites out etc.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The one thing I hate anout Prague is you have to pay for EVERYTHING... even the jewish sector. Kazimierz is beautiful AND free.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you just want a small, beautiful, old town to wander about with your missus, consider Wroclaw, also.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im biased. As for better night out, ive not been to Poland, but most people who visit Prague tend to go to the tourist traps (full of tourists who dont know each other, so not much vibe) and not to where the locals go. Theres some excellent nights out here that are off the beaten track.
Even some in the heart of the city, Le Fabric, Futurama, meloun, but if you dont know of them, you would probably never find them them... Lucerna in the middle of the city in the Lucerna arcade, is in cellar (an enormous cellar that is) in an old style building with the Top Rank vibe on fridays and saturdays...it gets packed... If you head up behind the museum, there are some very good venues.
LeClan... (after party venue that doesnt really get going till 5am but open till 12 midday) for example... 3 floors, but difficult to find if you dont live here...Techle Mechle in the same area...
Depends what youre looking for in a night out.
Im taking over a bar at the moment with my girl that should be open in a couple of weeks...some pics of the place here...its fairly standard look for Prague music bars...
musicclubibiza | Party Tří Mladých dívek – rajce.net

Edit: Just spoke to Polish bloke in office, and he says that Prague kicks Krakovs arse... he did recommened Wroclaw as a decent night out though.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Im biased. As for better night out, ive not been to Poland, but most people who visit Prague tend to go to the tourist traps (full of tourists who dont know each other, so not much vibe) and not to where the locals go. Theres some excellent nights out here that are off the beaten track.
Even some in the heart of the city, but if you dont know of them, you would never find them as they just look like residential street doors.
If you head up behind the museum, there are some very good venues.
LeClan... (after party venue that doesnt really get going till 5am but open till 12 midday) for example... 3 floors, but difficult to find if you dont live here.
Depends what youre looking for in a night out.

Do the MAFIA controlled taxis, still take you to their chosen nightspots, REGARDLESS of where you actually ASK to go?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Do the MAFIA controlled taxis, still take you to their chosen nightspots, REGARDLESS of where you actually ASK to go?

I never get taxi as i live on the night tram line, so never been a need...all the taxis are rip off merchants apart from the yellow AAA...
There is currently...ANOTHER ....taxi clean up thing going on...
Stick to yellow AAA and you should be ok.
The mayor said last year that people were giving the city a bad impression by whinging about the taxis all the time, so people said..ok...go and try them out...
He went out disguised as an overseas visitor, a Czech visitor and a Slovak visitor...he was ripped off every time...was even charged 9000kc for 400kc trip...so they are clamping down on them again...

Taxis and Pickpockets are the only real problems here...
Oh, and I get tired of saying it in the street to English people....when girls come up in the street offering sex, and rubbing you... they are robbing you with the other hand.

My last bar (Ukrainian) offerered me plenty of exposure to the Ukrainian mafia....not nice people, but business is business.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Are you MAD!??!

So many choices of Polish beer! And isnt Zloty Bazant slovak?

Bernard v Zywiec

X-Beer 33 v Tyskie

Oldgott v Okocim

U Fleku v Zubr

4-0 Prague in my books... Before half time and Pivovarsky Dum comes on as a late super-sub for the Czechs.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im a Gambrinus man myself, but girlfriend has decided on Staropramen (BOOOOO!) for the bar as its quite a bit cheaper...and the brewery is about half mile away
I quite like the dark beer kozel... tastes like the mild you used to get in uk years ago, and I do the same to it here as I did in my youth... a tot of dark rum in it turns it into a world beater..

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Bernard v Zywiec

X-Beer 33 v Tyskie

Oldgott v Okocim

U Fleku v Zubr

4-0 Prague in my books... Before half time and Pivovarsky Dum comes on as a late super-sub for the Czechs.

And

lech?

warka?

therunningbomb

therunningbomb
Feb 23, 2009
Hove
Its a very tough one to call, iv been to both.
They both have some great sights to visit, but i would edge for Krakow, because they are less tourists there, and i actually just prefered it as a place.
Either way have a good time!:thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There is tooooo many tourists here...thats a fact... and if you got rid of two thirds of the souvenir shops all selling the same crap, there would still be too many....
Tip for women, dont get excited about the thought of cheaper clothes. People here go and buy their clothes in Germany as its much cheaper than here for some reason..... ive seen many an English female tourist get excited about seeing M&S and thinking they will get some bargains...

Whats cheap here is food and drink.... and if you go 3 or 4 tramstops out of the center, then its MUCH cheaper for food and drink.
For example, a large beer in center is 50kc, whereas outside the center (and im only talking about 3 or 4 tramstops) , its 35kc.
A 250kc meal will be 150kc outside of the center.
You rarely see Czechs in the town center bars or restaurants unless they are working in the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports