Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Prague advice

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
So, I found out on Friday that my daughter has qualified to represent England at the junior dance World Cup in Prague next year. My initial reaction was one of “how the fúck does someone who inherited my genetics have even a modicum of dancing talent!?”, then turned to one of pride, and then back to “but seriously, how the fúck, when I hit the dance floor people assume I’m having a seizure”.

Anyway, we’ll be heading over, son (10) and daughter (7) in tow late next June / early July. It’s a city I’ve always wanted to visit, in no small part for the beer, but I’d never considered doing it with the kids (until now). With that in mind, I’d appreciate any advice from those well acquainted with the city, cognisant of the fact that a) we’ll have young kids with us and b) I’d still like to get a few of those half and half beers down my neck all the same.

We’ll be going for about a week, and should have a good 2 or 3 days to ourselves to see the sights. First off, where should we look to stay? The competition itself is being staged at the Prague Congress Centre, which is east of the river and looks close to Vyšehrad, however I don’t think there’s necessarily any need to stay in the immediate vicinity. Are we better off in the old town, as that doesn’t seem too far away?

Any must-see / do sights or attractions (ideally kid friendly). Restaurants, or even pubs / bars (assuming I can score an afternoon to myself at some point)? Weather should be nice, so perhaps a beer garden or two.

Any advice welcome from the oracle that is NSC. Taaa!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Given your first paragraph, how confident are you that she is in fact your daughter? Occam’s Razor, innit.

Seriously, you must be very proud. Many congrats to her.

Prague? Never been, sorry. Others will have though…

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Stunning City, get yourself around the Old Town, too many bars & eateries to name, however you do need to like meat! Beers are amazing too.

Czechs not the most friendly people until you make it clear you are NOT German.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Prague and NSC means one thing....

pasty.JPG

One of numerous threads...

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Prague is split in sections.
Ie.. Prague 1,2,3 and so on
The Congress centre is in prague 4 South of prague 1.
I suggest you buy a weeks railcard(metro and trams) for the family.
Using public transport is very efficient and really easy to figure out.
I would suggest getting the bus/metro/tram from the airport to hotel/appartment. I find it very safe,clean and efficient and an experience too.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Try the Betlem Club for hotel. Bloody brilliant it is. Great hotel and stayed there a couple of times.
Close to a beer bar "hall" and central.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Congratulations to your talented daughter. Prague is a beautiful city. Rather than rely on a football forum with its, um, distinctive demographic, just buy a decent guidebook, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide -- or check out TripAdvisor. But Charles Bridge is a must, plus the squares. If you're interested in history, the Jewish Cemetery and Museum are powerful experiences.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Congratulations to your talented daughter. Prague is a beautiful city. Rather than rely on a football forum with its, um, distinctive demographic, just buy a decent guidebook, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide -- or check out TripAdvisor. But Charles Bridge is a must, plus the squares. If you're interested in history, the Jewish Cemetery and Museum are powerful experiences.

I wanted to say the same and the incredible Museum of Communism, but the OP is with young kids.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Oi, don't be dissing the epileptics just because you can't dance! :lolol:
No idea about Prague, but many congratulations to your daughter! :smile:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
So, I found out on Friday that my daughter has qualified to represent England at the junior dance World Cup in Prague next year. My initial reaction was one of “how the fúck does someone who inherited my genetics have even a modicum of dancing talent!?”, then turned to one of pride, and then back to “but seriously, how the fúck, when I hit the dance floor people assume I’m having a seizure”.

Anyway, we’ll be heading over, son (10) and daughter (7) in tow late next June / early July. It’s a city I’ve always wanted to visit, in no small part for the beer, but I’d never considered doing it with the kids (until now). With that in mind, I’d appreciate any advice from those well acquainted with the city, cognisant of the fact that a) we’ll have young kids with us and b) I’d like to get a few of those half and half beers down my neck all the same.

We’ll be going for about a week, and should have a good 2 or 3 days to ourselves to see the sights. First off, where should we look to stay? The completion itself is being staged at the Prague Congress Centre, which is east of the river and looks close to Vyšehrad, however I don’t think there’s necessarily any need to stay in the immediate vicinity. Are we better off in the old town, as that doesn’t seem too far away?

Any must-see / do sights or attractions (ideally kid friendly). Restaurants, or even pubs / bars (assuming I can score an afternoon to myself at some point)? Weather should be nice, so perhaps a beer garden or two.

Any advice welcome from the oracle that is NSC. Taaa!
Wow, congratulations!

I was there with the wife for a few days over the summer, great city. We stayed at this lovely apart-hotel: https://apartments.zeitraum.re/en/ It's all newly-done to a really high standard and in a great location just down from Wenceslas Square and two mins from the main railway station.

Definitely worth making the trek up to the castle and the grounds, great view of the city from up there too. You can walk back down the other side and and across the Charles Bridge from there. You're definitely going to have to do the astronomical clock when it chimes as well, and you will be surrounded by cooing American tourists. I thought it was a bit crap tbh but then I'm a bit of a philistine. There are loads of 'beer spa's' in the city which sound amazing but we didn't get to go as we didn't have any stuff!

In terms of restaurants, Lokál Dlouhááá in Old Town for good Czech cuisine and atmosphere: https://g.co/kgs/EpQniV

We went to a nice Italian place but can't remember for the life of me what it was called... Will try to remember.

Can definitely recommend these places for an amazing selection of beers:

NUBEERBAR
Some cracking beers here and a little terrace out the front. Had a few pints of a very nice 9%er and was wobbling a bit.

Beerpoint:
The beer machines are a bit gimmicky but I liked it:

Vytopna: The one with the train that delivers drinks to you. Again, a bit of a gimmick but a cool one.

You can get good beer anywhere though, but the prices vary wildly by location.

We also liked this wine bar if you're that way inclined, had a great cheeseboard and some lovely Czech riesling by the river:

I know we have some locals on here so they'll undoubtedly have better and more dependable advice, but that was my experience anyway!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Given your first paragraph, how confident are you that she is in fact your daughter? Occam’s Razor, innit.

Seriously, you must be very proud. Many congrats to her.

Prague? Never been, sorry. Others will have though…
She has my thumbs. That’s what I’m holding onto, anyway. She avoided the ears though, so that’s a good thing.

But yeah, very proud, thanks.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Don't forget to visit the church where the assassins of that c**t Heidrich held out. Bullet holes still in the church
walls. Re: films Anthropoid.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Beware of some rip off restaurants in Old Town Square, especially this El Toro Negro.
We unfortunately stumbled on a place called 'Svejk' just down the road from there, we were hungover and just looking to get something before going to the airport, so went in without checking TripAdvisor as it looked OK from outside.

Absolutely awful. The food was shockingly bad, staff stood outside the window on their phones smoking fags throughout, they charged us for bread we didn't order, charged for CUTLERY, charged us for paying by card and then the waitress had the cheek to literally beg for a tip and got all shitty when I told her to do one. Absolute shithole. Seems the place you mention do pretty much the exact same thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We unfortunately stumbled on a place called 'Svejk' just down the road from there, we were hungover and just looking to get something before going to the airport, so went in without checking TripAdvisor as it looked OK from outside.

Absolutely awful. The food was shockingly bad, staff stood outside the window on their phones smoking fags throughout, they charged us for bread we didn't order, charged for CUTLERY, charged us for paying by card and then the waitress had the cheek to literally beg for a tip and got all shitty when I told her to do one. Absolute shithole. Seems the place you mention do pretty much the exact same thing.

The tripadvisor El Toro Negro comments are from a sea of folk all victims of glorified theft. We were cold and hungry, made the fatal mistake of hastily entering the first place.

But I’d highly recommend this sublime restaurant, just off of Old Town Square.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...Reviews-Restaurant_Ungelt-Prague_Bohemia.html

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Third from bottom out of almost 5,000 eateries!

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
The Indian Jewell restaurant. Uses to be opposite the dubliner but is now on Rybna 8 opposite central hotel.

First ate there in 2018 and went back in August when I took my daughter to a concert over there. Unreal food and make sure you get the bombay spuds

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Can't really give you too much advice on where to stay, as I live here so don't have much experience with the hotels. But Vysehrad is a lovely area and it won't disappoint you if you stay around there. If you don't stay in that area, I'd suggest finding somewhere else on the C (red) metro line for ease of travel to your daughter's event(s), but tbh it's a very easy city to get around.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011

Ah yeah, the Svejk restaurants are a notorious tourist trap. Looks like you got almost the full run of their shitty practices (the only thing missing from your list is the way they leave pretzels on the table that look like they're free, but you even look in their general direction and you'll get charged an insane price for them).

The other big tourist trap to be aware of is the "old Prague ham" stand in the Old Town Square. Absolute con that the council's been trying to shut down for a while, they show a price that looks reasonable until you realise it's for an ant-sized portion. What you actually get served will cost you around £30, which is an insane price for any food in this city.

This video explains the ham con, but I recommend this channel to anyone thinking of visiting - has a lot of great recommendations among the warnings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here