Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PPI

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Who is the idiot here-
ME. Self employed so knew I would not be paid out on any PPI claim so saved a fortune by not taking it out.
YOU. Paid PPI over the years and did not notice the loss of money as you had budgeted for it, then BINGO you get it all back!

One thing though, do it yourself rather than with a company.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I got just about £20K back from Nat West from loans I'd had over many years - all you have to do is get one of the letters off the moneysavingexpert web site and alter it to your circumstances and then sit back and wait. I had no paper work as these were, as I say, quite old loans. I expected a few hundred quid but was more than pleased with £20K !

When you say old loans are you talking 10yrs ago, 20yrs or even 30yrs ago that they were taken out.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I had a loan with Northern Rock which was fully paid off in about 2 years. Approx 7 years ago. I have non of the paper work. Is there anyway of finding out if I was paying PPI?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I had a loan with Northern Rock which was fully paid off in about 2 years. Approx 7 years ago. I have non of the paper work. Is there anyway of finding out if I was paying PPI?

Yes, phone them, they have to tell you or send you a copy of the agreement.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Don't think it works in that case... :jester:

I went the lazy route and used one of the adverts. Got a cheque for £130 the other day having done literally nothing. They got their cut, rightly so. Additional money in my pocket.

Are you sure about that? :cough:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak

As it was with Northern Rock - its highly likely you were paying PPI

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Im just astounded at the amount of people that took out PPI insurance in the first place. Was always blatently a con.

I would agree, but many didn't get the choice or didn't know about it. I know in my case I needed a mortgage quite quickly, and wasn't til after I had it that I found I was paying a percentage in PPI. I was fully aware that there schemes are highly unlikely to pay out, at the time I had a friend who was a financial consultant, and he had told me many times never to take it out, so given the choice I would not have done.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's never bothered me however HSBC asked me to fill out a questionnaire in relation to sn old loan. Fast forward 2 months I received a cheque for 3k.

Got a letter late last week saying they would pay me just over 3k. I'm a very happy man!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I got just about £20K back from Nat West from loans I'd had over many years - all you have to do is get one of the letters off the moneysavingexpert web site and alter it to your circumstances and then sit back and wait. I had no paper work as these were, as I say, quite old loans. I expected a few hundred quid but was more than pleased with £20K !

I had no dates or statements - if these were bank loans the bank should have all the details
It HAS to be worth a try

Interesting. I've not bothered with this because I had nothing to prove a loan with Alliance & Leicester from around 2001. I took out PPI just to get out of the office having said no to the snidey bitch about 5 times, being a silly 19 year old she saw me coming. It was only £3k, but even if I get a few hundred back it's better than a kick in the teeth.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MBNA sent me a pack offering me to claim against them.

From memory (It was 9 years ago) I think I took it out to get the person off the phone, and cancelled it a week later, but does anyone know how I might fair here ? I filled out all the details that I could remember, and providing my circumstances at the time (living with parents, good amount of savings, no other loans or major out goings) so it probably was mis-sold, but the fact I cancelled shortly after, probably means I'll get nothing, right ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Interesting. I've not bothered with this because I had nothing to prove a loan with Alliance & Leicester from around 2001. I took out PPI just to get out of the office having said no to the snidey bitch about 5 times, being a silly 19 year old she saw me coming. It was only £3k, but even if I get a few hundred back it's better than a kick in the teeth.

I think you either get it all back or nothing. If they've mis sold it to you then the implication is you would not have to take it out at all. You also get interest back about 8% on top in my case.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting. I've not bothered with this because I had nothing to prove a loan with Alliance & Leicester from around 2001.

All you need to know is who you've borrowed from and signing up to a free trial of Creditexpert.com and downloading your credit file will give you most of this information.

I've written to all my partners creditors current and past and gave her name, date of birth and last three postal addresses. So far £800 back from one company, awaiting offers from 3 others who have admitted she's owed money and 5 others are still investigating. Took me all of 30 minutes to write the template letter, print it out and post it. So far that works out as a cool £1.6k an hour !!!!! And it can only improve.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lots of people didn't realise they even had PPI.

I've not had a loan other than a mortgage for about 2 years.
I've been told I might have been paying PPI without knowing - I had a job with decent sick-pay so would never have elected to pay extra for it - how can I find out if I had been paying a PPI premium ?
Mortgage has been moved around different lenders over the last 15 years too.
What should I do ?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

I got my PPI back from A&L (now Santander) and all I had was the mortgage account number from the 1990's and the fact that, at the time of the mortgage, I was given no choice and was coerced into taking it out when I never wanted it. I just decided to reclaim it in March, looked at a thread or two on the MSE forum on PPI reclaiming just to find the form to fill out and the address of Santander PPI reclaims (took an hour all told) and 2 months later I was £3500 better off. Over half of it was the 8% interest!

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I've been told I might have been paying PPI without knowing - I had a job with decent sick-pay so would never have elected to pay extra for it - how can I find out if I had been paying a PPI premium ?
What should I do ?

Have a look at the MSE PPI reclaim forum to read other people successes, what they did, what address to write to for your companies, and for a link to a standard claim form:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

You just fill in a form or send a letter and it's up to THEM to tell YOU whether you are owed money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What should I do ?

As LadySeagull has posted, you can use the MSE template ( I didn't ) or my method of just writing to them with what little information you have. You mention not have a loan for the last two years - write to people you had loans with before that - you just don't know sometimes if you were paying PPI.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here