Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PPI

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
mine was easy, phoned the bank, answered a few simple questions over the phone, 6 weeks later £1500 went straight into my account. job done :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The thing that's always puzzled me is what do you do if you don't know if you were paying for PPI ? Can I send every lender I've had over the last x number of years a letter saying did I have PPI ? And then make a claim if they reply yes ?

interesting question. i've always ignored the whole thing assuming that i didnt have anything due, as i paid off the credit card like a good boy and was actually advised not to bother with insurance on the mortgage. i dont recall anything about a loan i had though, and it seems that everyone was charging PPI, so i now wondering if i was paying it. do i just copy/paste Safeway's message and see what comes back?

I think it really varies from company to company. I've made two claims, sending identical letters to each of them. The first lot, Citi Financial, made me complete a lengthy questionnaire before taking forever to finally issue a cheque (after I'd got on to the ombudsman). Santander on the other hand were brilliant. Letter of acknowledgement received within a fortnight, offer received a month later, no questions asked. None of this cheque business either. Just had to pop my bank details on the acceptance letter and they transfer the funds on receipt.

Camicus

I wasnt sure so I instructed one of these companys (I used Belmont Thornton Mrs Camicus used FRS) to check it out got £5k back. I found it all painless after getting stonewalled by Barcleys

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think it really varies from company to company. I've made two claims, sending identical letters to each of them. The first lot, Citi Financial, made me complete a lengthy questionnaire before taking forever to finally issue a cheque (after I'd got on to the ombudsman). Santander on the other hand were brilliant. Letter of acknowledgement received within a fortnight, offer received a month later, no questions asked. None of this cheque business either. Just had to pop my bank details on the acceptance letter and they transfer the funds on receipt.

But did you know that you had been paying for PPI ? If you did how could it mis-selling ? It's not a pop at anyone, I'd like money back but I really have no idea if I've ever paid for PPI - I certainly wouldn't have done out of choice.

But did you know that you had been paying for PPI ? If you did how could it mis-selling ? It's not a pop at anyone, I'd like money back but I really have no idea if I've ever paid for PPI - I certainly wouldn't have done out of choice.

I managed to dig out the paperwork and it was detailed on there, forming part of the repayments. Although both loans were a long time ago, I don't remember the insurance ever been offered as optional, it was just included as standard.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
They must be doing something as i have tried to go direct, filled the forms etc but every time they get ignored. 3 times i sent them to Barclays and each time i never get a reply so will will probably give it to one of these companies.

If that's correct you need to go to Financial Ombudsman Service with a complaint - or write to the Barclay's Head Office threatening to do so. They have a set amount of time within which to contact you following your initial contact, so they would appear to be in breach of their regulatory duty just on the 3 letters, let alone the PPI issue.

Per other posters, do not use the claims companies. They are leeches and will fleece you. If you go direct to the bank you will get treated fairly - just remember that they are handling thousands of claims so it won't be a 24 hour turnaround.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair play

It is sensitive information I know but I have done quite a few mortgages for members here who can vouch for my integrity and confidentiality. Anyway the offer is there.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
I downloaded the standard form from the FSA and to date have had 2 cheques totalling over 2k. With 3 rejections which the FSA are now looking into. The form took 3 minutes to fill out so please don't pay 25% to a ppi claim company!! Alternatively go to the money saving expert website where it is all listed in detail what to do. Or you can pm me

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I kept getting the calls and letters from companys claiming I was owed xxxxx amount. I ignored them but suddenly thought 'what if '. I went onto the moneysaving expert site ( which I have used many times to save money ) and printed out the template and sent off to the two company's which I was claiming from.

They were The royal bank of scotland & Northern Rock. Within 5 weeks I had a letter from RBOS offering me £6300 - no arguement. Northen Rock offered me £400 though this took about 2 months. I done this myself so do not have to pay any money to these company's. It only cost me the price of two enveloped sent recorded.

Definately worth doing and probably took me about 20 minutes to fill the forms out.

Anyone wants any advice then just ask. The worst thing the Banks can say is no, yet you can still go through the ombudsman if you feel you have a case.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The big catch with the claims companies (who hook you in with their no win, no fee blurb) is how the card/loan company repays you if your claim is proven. They tend to do it 1 of 3 ways:-

1. Admit your claim and send you/the claim company a cheque for the full amount of the proven claim. You then pay the claim company their cut. Fine.
2. Admit your claim and deduct an amount from your remaining balance (if you still have one). Then send you a cheque for the remainder. You then pay the claim company their cut of the total amount refunded by the lender. Fine (ish) as long as the cheque you get is more than the claim company's cut.
3. Admit your claim and deduct the whole amount from your remaining account balance. The claim company will still require you to pay them their cut even though you haven't physically received a payment from your lender. Not so fine!

Do it yourself, keep copies of all letters sent to the lender, threaten Financial Ombudsman escalation if no response to your 3rd request, and send all copies to the FO to support your complaint (if required).

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
How far back can you claim. My wife had a couple of loans with GE Capital and Co-op and sent her own letters and got a reply that they had no records on file?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
How far back can you claim. My wife had a couple of loans with GE Capital and Co-op and sent her own letters and got a reply that they had no records on file?

One of my successful claims was for a loan going back to 2002.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thanks, did you send off loan details with your claim. Wonder how far back the banks, ect keep records. I think they are only obliqued to archive for 7 years.

I did have the loan details, I put them on the form and sent a photocopy of the loan details, ie reference number etc. Remember to send any details recorded.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I did have the loan details, I put them on the form and sent a photocopy of the loan details, ie reference number etc. Remember to send any details recorded.
Thanks, I think she has lost all the paper work relating to her countless loans at the time. Bit of an easy get out for the Banks to say they can't trace her details. Ho hum.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thanks, I think she has lost all the paper work relating to her countless loans at the time. Bit of an easy get out for the Banks to say they can't trace her details. Ho hum.

Still worth trying, give them a ring, you may be surprised as some of the Banks PPI departments are quite helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here