Poyet's Albion team or Hughton's Albion team

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
.......................TK
Bruno - Greer - Upson - Bridge
............Lopez -,Bridcutt
....Buckley - Vicente - Orlandi
....................Ulloa

Been following the Albion closely for 15 years and that's the best team of my generation. By far the best team on paper.

Very exciting but where are the midfield grafters and ball winners? Bridcutt would be overrun.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Poyet had a slightly better back 5. Discounting Vicente (who let's remember was hardly ever actually available) then Hughton has a better central midfield. On the wings they're about even - although availability and consistency was a bigger factor there for Poyet than the names he had in the squad on paper, and it looks like that might be the same for Hughton too. Up front Poyet had Ulloa, but only for a third of a season, the rest of that year Mackail-Smith was starting - I'm sure most people would agree that Hemed is better than the latter but not the former. With Ulloa in Poyet's team I'd say they're stronger, but let's see if Tony makes a similar buy for Hughton in January this year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm beginning to think that Hughton's brand of honest, traditional organisation and understandable team selection is more likely to get us promoted than Poyet would be if he returned, but Poyet's philosophy would be the one to keep us there.

Is that the same philosophy that nearly got Sunderland relegated from the PL? :wink:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I'm more confident of problem solving with CH. However, in 30 years of watching the Albion nothing has surpassed Charlton and Peterborough away in League 1 under Poyet. They were easily the greatest performances I have ever seen by anyone full stop. You always have that frustration when you try to explain how amazing something is to those that weren't there - not the Charlton game. I went with my Wife, Daughter, Sister-in-law and my best mate. Then I went to Peterborough and it was even better. That game was pitched as Peterborough's cup final. In the end it was just cruel, torturing them in front of their fans and loved ones. It was reminiscent of those Japanese POW films - those in the Hospital beds could hear their comrade scream in the punishment box beneath the burning sun. I don't know enough hyperbole to describe the actual football. The problem with Poyet was too often his team had all the possession but never looked like finishing off the opponent.

Oct 25, 2003
we're a bit like the type of team that when Poyet was manager we used to turn our noses up a bit

efficient and a bit dull (reminds me at bit of the Hull side that got promoted when we finished 4th) and just grinding out results

I do personally think that this brand of football is more likely to get you up than Poyets. Under Gus we dropped some crucial points due to not having a plan B and sticking to our flair ethos a bit too much when a bit of ugly grinding was required.

Having said that, on paper, Poyets team was far better and better to watch

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think Poyet's team were more exciting but I think that is partly due to Poyet himself in that we couldn't wait to hear him after the game on the radio and watching him in the dugout. Remember him getting sent off early in a game? If, we could have Hughton's team and Poyet's enthusiasm we would be in heaven. I think Hughton will stay at Brighton for a long time and will get us up to the promised land. Even if we struggle up there, or come straight back down, I think Bloom will stick with him, so for those reasons I am in the Hughton camp.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
.......................TK
Bruno - Greer - Upson - Bridge
............Lopez -,Bridcutt
....Buckley - Vicente - Orlandi
....................Ulloa

Been following the Albion closely for 15 years and that's the best team of my generation. By far the best team on paper.

Except i'm fairly sure he never actually picked it. Ulloa and Upson were only here for 5 months of Poyet's and they hardly ever played alongside Vicente (12 apps in 12/13) who was injured, or not picked.
Buckley, Spanish Dave, Orlandi drifted in and out of form and the team..
Missing are : Barnes, Hammond (practically an ever present), CMS, El Abd, all played 30+ appearances in 12/13 and Calderon (28), Crofts (23), Dicker (26), Lua Lua (22) Thats the actual "Gus team" we don't quite remember.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm more confident of problem solving with CH. However, in 30 years of watching the Albion nothing has surpassed Charlton and Peterborough away in League 1 under Poyet. They were easily the greatest performances I have ever seen by anyone full stop. You always have that frustration when you try to explain how amazing something is to those that weren't there - not the Charlton game. I went with my Wife, Daughter, Sister-in-law and my best mate. Then I went to Peterborough and it was even better. That game was pitched as Peterborough's cup final. In the end it was just cruel, torturing them in front of their fans and loved ones. It was reminiscent of those Japanese POW films - those in the Hospital beds could hear their comrade scream in the punishment box beneath the burning sun. I don't know enough hyperbole to describe the actual football. The problem with Poyet was too often his team had all the possession but never looked like finishing off the opponent.

For me personally because Peterboro had a player sent off it took the shine off it a bit. Although it was a masterclass on how to take a team apart when you are 11 v 10.

The one that tops both for me is Cardiff A in our first season where we won 3-1 early doors. That really was a complete performance AND it was in the higher division!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Except i'm fairly sure he never actually picked it. Ulloa and Upson were only here for 5 months of Poyet's and they hardly ever played alongside Vicente (12 apps in 12/13) who was injured, or not picked.
Buckley, Spanish Dave, Orlandi drifted in and out of form and the team..
Missing are : Barnes, Hammond (practically an ever present), CMS, El Abd, all played 30+ appearances in 12/13 and Calderon (28), Crofts (23), Dicker (26), Lua Lua (22) Thats the actual "Gus team" we don't quite remember.

It's not about a team it has to be the squad that you compare. We had a few more better players under Gus but a larger number of additional bodies in the squad. Now we have quality and competition for most positions.

Gus's team was usually his best fit 10 players plus a goalkeeper and rarely were we shocked at a selection, CH has started to pick a regular side but because of the competition in the squad it's not our best 10 players but a team that are performing well until he needs to make a change and then players have to work to keep hold of their position or work to claim it back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Its too early to tell. Gus failed to make the Premiership, so he failed. Chris' team could blow up in which case he would fail; however he has only had one transfer window and he had to overhaul a failing side. So far so good but we should reserve judgement till judgement day next May

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Its too early to tell. Gus failed to make the Premiership, so he failed. Chris' team could blow up in which case he would fail; however he has only had one transfer window and he had to overhaul a failing side. So far so good but we should reserve judgement till judgement day next May

We all think you're doing a great job, Chris :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Watched some great football fron Gus's teams but could only see Upson, Bridge, Ulloa and Barnes as consistent starters in this current squad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My team would be pretty much split between the two teams:

Kuszczak

Bruno-Dunk-Greer-Bridge

Buckley-Stephens-Kayal-Lualua

Barnes-Hemed​

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here