Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Albion team or Hughton's Albion team

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
PIG, Upson, Bridge, Buckley, Orlandi, Briddcut, Vicente & Ulloa would all Improve CH's squad

Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Stephens, Zamora & Hemed would all have improved Gus's squad

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wouldn't swap Orlandi, Dave or Bridcutt for anyone in our current (first choice) midfield.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
.......................TK
Bruno - Greer - Upson - Bridge
............Lopez -,Bridcutt
....Buckley - Vicente - Orlandi
....................Ulloa

Been following the Albion closely for 15 years and that's the best team of my generation. By far the best team on paper.
I'm guessing I'm wrong but that team looks like a greatest hits compilation.
Assuming it did play surely it could only have been for 3 months?

I'll take the current squad for a season over that mixture of flawed class.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm beginning to think that Hughton's brand of honest, traditional organisation and understandable team selection is more likely to get us promoted than Poyet would be if he returned, but Poyet's philosophy would be the one to keep us there.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm beginning to think that Hughton's brand of honest, traditional organisation and understandable team selection is more likely to get us promoted than Poyet would be if he returned, but Poyet's philosophy would be the one to keep us there.

I agree about Hughton - but I am not sure Poyet's brand of possession football works too well these days in the top division unless you have the type of quality player that is beyond our reach. It seems now the route to success is to move the ball quicker and get it forward faster. Poyet allows teams to re-organise, and when a team is set - it is difficult to break down. That is when you need the attacking quality - and that really does cost.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Tend to agree. Not sure that team ever played together like that. On paper and on form that would be brilliant but it didn't happen like that. Lopez pretty much only had half a good season with us and that was following his stint at full back to the end of the season. Vincente wasn't used enough, especially after we forced him into the second year.

As for the thread, I am enjoying the matches under CH more than the games under GP.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Poyet's team was very strong, especially on paper. But Hughton is the one getting the results so far.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I honestly think Hughton is still developing as a manager. He is learning how to play to his strengths and adapt because not all his other sides played this way. I'm not talking about the success at the moment just the style. I'm glad we are changing from that Poyet/Garcia way because unless we won convincingly- and that can rarely be dull - I found the football quite tedious at times.
Anyway Chris still has January's jigsaw piece to fit in one hopes before this is his side.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree about Hughton - but I am not sure Poyet's brand of possession football works too well these days in the top division unless you have the type of quality player that is beyond our reach. It seems now the route to success is to move the ball quicker and get it forward faster. Poyet allows teams to re-organise, and when a team is set - it is difficult to break down. That is when you need the attacking quality - and that really does cost.
My conclusion is more of a commentary on what happens with Hughton sides when backs are to the wall, as they would be all season up there.

We saw how pragmatically dire we became last season when his remit was to keep us up. Yet there was a point when we were going reasonably well and we seemed to clam up again.

At least with Poyet his team would play with a philosophy that wouldn't change through the season. I feel that on balance, with a team he gets to build, we'd stay up.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have to bear in mind that Poyet's team didn't have either Upson or Ulloa at this point of the season and we relied on CMS and Barnes up front. In my view, Hughton's team is stronger both as individuals and a team but whether that's still the case after January will depend on who we sign. Poyet's team were mid table by Christmas but then had the best form in the division over the second half of the season!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
PIG, Upson, Bridge, Buckley, Orlandi, Briddcut, Vicente & Ulloa would all Improve CH's squad

Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Stephens, Zamora & Hemed would all have improved Gus's squad

I'd call it a draw. Both sides are/were good.

[MENTION=26606]Brighton Mod[/MENTION] - you have to remember that the spankings we took at West Ham & Liverpool were because Brezovan was in goal.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think Poyet's team would have coped better in the Prem than our current side if both had of gone up.

If the two teams played against each other as always with Poyet's sides the first goal is key, I'd take them to win 6 matches to 4 in a 10 match series but it would be an interesting clash of styles.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bobby and Vicente in the same side now that is fantasy football.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My conclusion is more of a commentary on what happens with Hughton sides when backs are to the wall, as they would be all season up there.

We saw how pragmatically dire we became last season when his remit was to keep us up. Yet there was a point when we were going reasonably well and we seemed to clam up again.

At least with Poyet his team would play with a philosophy that wouldn't change through the season. I feel that on balance, with a team he gets to build, we'd stay up.

You may well be right. Let's hope we get a chance to find out.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Simster;7123080) We saw how pragmatically dire we became last season when his remit was to keep us up.[/QUOTE said:
I can't agree with this.
Houghton came in after wing back football from the Finn failed because the players we had and recruited were not suited to that formation. We had Baldock wide left in a 5, Stephens injured, Crofts injured, no centre forward capable of holding the ball up, Lua Lua with no confidence and Kayal coming back after long term injury (and what a difference he made as he got fitter last season)
So Houghton had to find a way of getting through that season and then change formation with a long pre season into 442. We are seeing players at ease with the formation though we struggled against Brizzzzle City who played 5 in the middle and always had extra men and broke quickly down the middle against our 2. I expect Preston will play same formation of 352 on Sat and expect more teams to do the same.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it is a bit early to compare. Last season, hewghten really struggled to stay in the division, but now he has his team, he has shown that he has the ability to get his team playing well. So far it is going well.

Poyets teams had the ability to bore and excite...Vicente was just the most sublime talent I had ever seen in a brighton shirt in the 45 years I have watched then, and that probably clouds my vision, but we have to go some way to match the roller coaster that was poyets reign.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Been following the Albion closely for 15 years and that's the best team of my generation. By far the best team on paper.
I'd rather have King Kayal, and Stephens alongside Vicente and one other in midfield to be honest.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Under poyet we did despatch some proper spanking s like blackpool 7 1 palace 3 0 not that im disappointed a win a win at the end of the day I would like us to hammer someone though.its definitely overdue

I actually think that one game in the not too distant future we will click and a hatfull of goals will be scored . I dont think we are far off it now looking at the Cardiff and Bristol games

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It never played. We always had one of Crofts/Hammond alongside Bridcutt and Vicente rarely played. Ulloa and Upson only signed in late January so we only had three months where that was even an option.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Buckley, Vicente and Orlandi, ALL fit on the same day? As IF.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here