Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet starting to feel some pressure?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Micky got massively lucky with Zamora. If it wasn't for good old Ron Noades trying to stitch us up by 'stealing' Pinamonte at the last minute I doubt that we'd ever have considered him. The same could be said about Poyet though - we only brought in Bridcutt when Navarro got injured and wouldn't have got near him if he'd stayed fit. I suppose you could say that both the players were known to us but I wouldn't say that we identified either as a 'real good-un' before they came to us.

The proof will be how many come through the DS squad and become regulars I suppose Jim.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
i think Between the Lines has done one of the most elaborate piss takes on here ever. Has a lot of opinions for an outsider. Don't believe he's a Palace supporter because he/she is far too good. Leeds i reckon.

we currently have this thread and cofty's effort fouling NSC. It seems we are not inclined to apply our own anti-trolling rules ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Southampton fan? That explains the pointless Portsmouth reference.

It does read like a cut and paste of all the negatives printed on here.

You've been to see three games and watched all the tv appearances?

Poyet should be feeling the pressure if Tony Bloom is unhappy. Is he?

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Southampton fan? That explains the pointless Portsmouth reference.

It does read like a cut and paste of all the negatives printed on here.

You've been to see three games and watched all the tv appearances?

Poyet should be feeling the pressure if Tony Bloom is unhappy. Is he?

Nobody knows really. Depends what his target was at the start of the season.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Why is this "trolling"? Or have I missed something...

Because its not the popular opinion so it must be trolling....

End of the day if you dont like the article fair enough, but enough fans here have said they agreed with parts of it so its hardly that outrageous!

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
So should Gus be feeling pressurised?

I think he would have expected at the start of the season (as many did here) to be doing a little better. He has been well supported in the transfer market but there always seems to be another piece required in the jigsaw before promotion is a realistic ambition.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Because its not the popular opinion so it must be trolling....

End of the day if you dont like the article fair enough, but enough fans here have said they agreed with parts of it so its hardly that outrageous!

No. You've argued one side of the coin. Your article represents those who would sack a manager after a loss and then give him the freedom of the city after a victory.

Certainly not outrageous. Just dull and repetitive. Thinking your first Blog is mundane doesn't necessarily mean that ones head is in the sand.

You are prophesying on a reign after a handful of live performances, offering very little in the way of positives.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Interesting Gus comment in todays paper:

"Maybe people like to play ugly and win, so then you need a different manager."

I think people just like to win, and its certainly possible to win playing nice football.

Comments like this are always funny because nobody asks anyone to start playing terrible football, and its no more likely to win than trying to play the right way.

Surely its not unreasonable to expect your good performances to translate into wins? Of course its good to play well, and fans want to watch good footy. But ultimately over a longer period fans want to see points too and to suggest the two seem to be separate does show IMO that Gus is feeling a little pressure and is justifying himself - which probably isnt a bad thing for you.

Besides, if you play well over a long period you do tend to get the points you deserve so I guess he is saying he backs his style to win enough points in the end.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Team selection seems inconsistent, probably partly due to injury but does anyone (or Gus) really know the first choice XI? The midfield especially is changed so much it's hard to get momentum which is the one thing that really helps as you play so many matches close together.

Many times I have been the starting lineup and there are changes, few players in an attacking sense seem to be able to find a rhythm. Buckley earlier in the season looked like he had but he unfortunately picks up niggly injuries (hamstring?) which of course is not the Managers fault. If you look at the top sides, they probably don't have a man for man better team but probably are more settled week to week.

Excellent blog and you have identified 1 of the 2 main problems in my eyes.
1. Gus doesn't know his best 11, or to narrow it down, his best midfield and forward player combinations. The constant tinkering has disrupted players momentum and subsequently killed/hindered their form. Every player needs a run in the side to get in the groove and like you say the top teams have a settled starting 11. We don't.

2nd big problem is we don't have a striker who has seen it and done it at this level.
Obviously he hoped Dobbie would recapture his Blackpool form but he didn't, CMS has struggled at this level every season he's played in the Champ, Hoskins hasn't done it, ulloa is a gamble (I hope comes off) and then theres Barnes. Barnes still looks like our best finisher at present and has an ok return considering the amount of defending he's asked to do and the wide position he occupies.

Despite these problems the table looks pretty good, if Gus can address these points and Ulloa hits form I see no reason why we cant make the top 6. Failure to though could see us miss out again.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is a tricky one for me. I have so much respect and admiration for Gus and what he has done for us. But, as was pointed out in one of the early posts on this thread, he is probably the most privileged manager in Brighton's history: a mega-rich Chairman who is a lifelong supporter of the club, an amazing new ground, state of the art training facilities under construction. Like most supporters there are times when I don't agree with his team selection and/or tactics...but then if I really knew better, I'd be doing the job not him!

What has been bugging me about Gus for quite some while, is that he seems to take any opportunity to tout around that he wants to manage "at a big club"!! OK, so we are not Man Utd/City, Barca or Real Madrid (but he aint going to any of them any time soon!), but I think we now have everything in place to become a big club in the future.

It must be unsettling for the dressing room to know that the manager would rather be at a "big club" than at the Albion. If Spurs / Chelsea etc come a-knocking at Gus's door in the future I would thank him for all he has done for us, shake his hand and wish him every success. Until that time, I'd rather he kept (publicly) quiet about his ambitions and focused his efforts and exertions into turning us into the "big club" that he so desires to manage.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Excellent blog and you have identified 1 of the 2 main problems in my eyes.
1. Gus doesn't know his best 11, or to narrow it down, his best midfield and forward player combinations. The constant tinkering has disrupted players momentum and subsequently killed/hindered their form. Every player needs a run in the side to get in the groove and like you say the top teams have a settled starting 11. We don't.

2nd big problem is we don't have a striker who has seen it and done it at this level.
Obviously he hoped Dobbie would recapture his Blackpool form but he didn't, CMS has struggled at this level every season he's played in the Champ, Hoskins hasn't done it, ulloa is a gamble (I hope comes off) and then theres Barnes. Barnes still looks like our best finisher at present and has an ok return considering the amount of defending he's asked to do and the wide position he occupies.

Despite these problems the table looks pretty good, if Gus can address these points and Ulloa hits form I see no reason why we cant make the top 6. Failure to though could see us miss out again.

I agree with most of this. A settled line-up would, in my opinion, have definitely helped the players gel as a unit.

Regarding Dobbie, I am not sure Gus ever gave him an opportunity to recapture his Blackpool form. He's gone straight into the Palace starting XI.

I strongly believe that, given the signings we have made since last season, we should be ahead of where we are in terms of points and I imagine that Mr Bloom may well be thinking along similar lines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here