Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet starting to feel some pressure?

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Hi all, first post on here. I am not a Brighton fan as such but moved to the City a few years ago and have watched a bit of Albion and often have a look on here.

I have written a blog about Brighton and specifically Poyet, who I feel perhaps is starting to come under a little pressure.

I would be interested if you feel the article is a fair assessment? I hope Brighton can make the Playoffs this season and to see you in the Premier League would be great for the City but I can't help but feel it won't quite happen this season, as the team are very inconsistent.

Just because of the progress made by the Club in the last few years it doesn't mean you can't be demanding.

Anyway, here is my 'external' perspective:

Brighton Hove Albion and Gus Poyet: Crossroads Ahead? | Between The Lines

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Not read your blog, as long as we don't have a disastrous end to the season and finish lower that 10th then no pressure on Gus, just pressure on the club trying keep him in my opinion

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
CMS was signed for £2.5M , the £3.25M figure includes all the add ons Peterborough get relating to appearances and our promotion to the PL should we get there while he still plays for us. It is a bit like saying Man United have paid £25M for Zaha on the basis there is a sell on clause invoked when he is sold to Real Madrid.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
A very good write up. For the first time the other week i'm starting to doubt Gus is the man to take us further.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Hi all, first post on here. I am not a Brighton fan as such but moved to the City a few years ago and have watched a bit of Albion and often have a look on here.

I have written a blog about Brighton and specifically Poyet, who I feel perhaps is starting to come under a little pressure.

I would be interested if you feel the article is a fair assessment? I hope Brighton can make the Playoffs this season and to see you in the Premier League would be great for the City but I can't help but feel it won't quite happen this season, as the team are very inconsistent.

Just because of the progress made by the Club in the last few years it doesn't mean you can't be demanding.

Anyway, here is my 'external' perspective:

Brighton Hove Albion and Gus Poyet: Crossroads Ahead? | Between The Lines

Pretty good read that.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
CMS was signed for £2.5M , the £3.25M figure includes all the add ons Peterborough get relating to appearances and our promotion to the PL should we get there while he still plays for us. It is a bit like saying Man United have paid £25M for Zaha on the basis there is a sell on clause invoked when he is sold to Real Madrid.

Thanks, I have edited that. Seemed a fair price at the time, I guess it just hasn't worked as both parties hoped.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
A very good write up. For the first time the other week i'm starting to doubt Gus is the man to take us further.

From an outside perspective he has clearly done a lot right.

But he arrived at a very good time, the buzz of the new Stadium and money to spend have made him the most privileged Albion Manager in history I would imagine.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Completely agree with this analysis. Strangely, just before reading this, I said to my wife, having heard about Dobbie's match today for Palace, that strikers seem to be Gus's achilles heel.
He just doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi all, first post on here. I am not a Brighton fan as such but moved to the City a few years ago
Welcome to Brighton.

I would be interested if you feel the article is a fair assessment?
Not really. I don't think the blog was interesting or fair.

I hope Brighton can make the Playoffs this season and to see you in the Premier League would be great for the City but I can't help but feel it won't quite happen this season, as the team are very inconsistent.
Thanks, and no it probably won't happen this season.

Feb 12, 2013
There's always pressure at a club, no matter what size or who they are. Poyet has done a brilliant job, and we are very lucky to have him. Our football is a joy to watch and most importantly the club as a whole has kept it's community feel. Of course you're right - there is a lot of pressure on Gus: signing Kusczack, Bridge, Bruno, Upson, Lopez and Ulloa in one season shows the caliber of players that we are attracting. I think if not this season, securing a position in the play-offs will be imperative to continue the clubs progress

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
A well crafted article-you sound like some of the moaners on here to a tee..

Well,getting out of the division requires among other things,consistent results,Brighton are not too far away in that respect.

Goals,in my opinion you must not rely just on the Strikers for goals,the whole team must contribute,the current team have not scored enough,despite having more than enough effort's on goal this season.

Budget? Gus to mount a really serious challenge really has not had the SAME backing from Tony Bloom to MATCH his INVESTMENT in the STADIUM.....

Not in the short term,and i feel this is the correct way to do things,Tony Bloom in my opinion has kept TRANSFER & BUDGET SPENDING SENSIBLE.

£32m on an training facility and Academy (the way forward for this club) could easily be WASTED on PLAYERS.

Tony Bloom has however backed the club to the hilt and if anybody is really HONEST,if anything GUS is being made to work REALLY HARD for his budget and team building,and has not had PROMOTION handed to him on a plate..

Gus is learning and i feel recently he has believed in himself a bit more,but one could argue it is his style of play that is holding us back,perhaps for the now,but 7th and low goals against,low number of defeats and a high number of drawn games shows we are close-

Perhaps a win at Cardiff will make our season finally "Click"

(I will say this for Gus-see bellow)

Nigel Adkins has shown he could get Southampton promotion,rightly or wrongly (his sacking) he could not (as he is no longer Saint's) manager,keep them there,GUS can i feel get us there and once there GUS POYET WILL BE THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT MANAGER TO KEEP US THERE..

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Project Albion

Seemed muddled to me. More like reading the press rather than going to games.

However, a third party view is appreciated.

Gus Poyet's Project Albion looks just about to be set in motion*. Amex is settling down after the new stadium factor.

Pressure is on. GP seems to like that. I still don't get any promotion fever though. I think Project Albion is going to plan. I think we may have gone down the wrong route with certain signings, especially the crappy loan forwards last season: Paynter and Vokes, I ask you!? Quite a few mistakes have been glossed over: the departure of Murray for one.

Down to 23 first teamers now. No more temporary signings. Only class from now on. Two new signings before next season.

But saying that, there does seem to be something missing. Composure in front of goal by certain strikers for a start. Defending from corners is purely tactical.

The only real shock to me was the speed of Vydra for Watford.

(*In other words, we have only be going through the motions so far. GP inherited a team that lost 23 games in two seasons at Withdean.)

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From an outside perspective he has clearly done a lot right.

But he arrived at a very good time, the buzz of the new Stadium and money to spend have made him the most privileged Albion Manager in history I would imagine.

He arrived when we were in the relegation zone of League One with the new stadium 20 months away. He was under a lot of pressure, first of all to keep us up that season, and then to get us promoted to the Championship, which he did with a record number of points.
People tend to dismiss that feat but it is not easy to get out of League 1 especially with your first club. Managers such as Karl Robinson and Danny Wilson have been trying for years.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If we don't achieve promotion this year (personally I don't think we are consistent enough..which will count over a two legged play off game), then Gus will be under immense pressure next year to deliver. If he fails, then I think we could be looking for our next manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough, any reason you think it's not fair?
We were thrashed by West Ham because we played badly. That happens to all teams, Man U were thrashed by City last year, but it doesn't mean the manager is clueless. You question whether 7th is disappointing with the quality at Poyet's disposal - the fact is, other teams have excellent players too, 7th isn't bad. In part of your analysis on our spending you look at Ulloa and Upson - while they are significant expenses, we can't expect to be high up the table because of them, since they've only just arrived.

Comments like this: 'The truth is that this 20 minute spell from Poyet’s men yielded the total of zero goals. In fact, Brighton went behind shortly afterwards and rescued a point with a second half penalty.' make it seem like you're not watching us play, you're just making assumptions. I'd have preferred the 3 points, but the fact is that for many Brighton fans those 20 minutes were the best football Brighton has ever played. And it's not like we only played well for 20 minutes, we were by far the better side all game. We had plenty of descent chances, and it just didn't go our way (an annoyingly regular occurrence this season). If you needed proof that sometimes things don't go your way, Blackburn won at the Emirates today - that doesn't mean Wenger is a bad manager.

Poyet isn't threatening to go home on a daily basis. And when he is fiery, I don't care, it doesn't stop him doing is job. And I don't think the next few months are crucial for him, his position isn't under threat.

But many others agree with your blog and you can't please everyone.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Seemed muddled to me. More like reading the press rather than going to games.

Gus Poyet's Project Albion looks just about to be set in motion. Amex is settling down after the new stadium factor.

Pressure is on. GP seems to like that. I still don't get any promotion fever though. I think Project Albion is going to plan. I think we may have gone down the wrong route with certain signings, especially the crappy loan forwards last season: Paynter and Vokes, I ask you!? Quite a few mistakes have been glossed over: the departure of Murray for one.

Down to 23 first teamers now. No more temporary signings. Only class from now on. Two new signings before next season.

But saying that, there does seem to be something missing. Composure in front of goal by certain strikers for a start. Defending from corners is purely tactical.

The only real shock to me was the speed of Vydra for Watford.

Agree the squad seems to be settling down.

The key this summer will be keeping your better players. Once you have to replace a couple of key ones to remain the same standard as you were before you lost them, and then go out an add quality to get better it starts to get complicated.

I think that is often why the surprise promotions work well because momentum isn't lost. If you can keep the squad together as well as adding in the summer then great.

If the budget is in the lower half now, plus the sounds coming out re the FFP impact for BHA then is promotion going to be any more likely next season?

Could argue that every year you don't go up you become less likely to the next year...?

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Comments like this: 'The truth is that this 20 minute spell from Poyet’s men yielded the total of zero goals. In fact, Brighton went behind shortly afterwards and rescued a point with a second half penalty.' make it seem like you're not watching us play, you're just making assumptions. I'd have preferred the 3 points, but the fact is that for many Brighton fans those 20 minutes were the best football Brighton has ever played. And it's not like we only played well for 20 minutes, we were by far the better side all game. We had plenty of descent chances, and it just didn't go our way (an annoyingly regular occurrence this season).

I understand that point, but if the best 20mins the team has ever played didn't result in a goal then there is something wrong?

Scoring goals at the right time is a key skill, you won't get very far without that. If its an 'annoyingly regular occurrence' then that isn't bad luck IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here