Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet starting to feel some pressure?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Completely agree with this analysis. Strangely, just before reading this, I said to my wife, having heard about Dobbie's match today for Palace, that strikers seem to be Gus's achilles heel.
He just doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of them.

Unless theyre Hispanic...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bridcutt? Calde?

Lopez, Orlandi, Vicente, Greer, Bruno , Kooshak What is your point EP ? That's Gus can unearth hitherto unheard of gems. He has had some money and his buys have been ok. Some good some bad.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Lopez, Orlandi, Vicente, Greer, Bruno , Kooshak What is your point EP ? That's Gus can unearth hitherto unheard of gems. He has had some money and his buys have been ok. Some good some bad.

If Gus was not our manager-half that lot would not be here,so perhaps we could get a manager that can attract players to the club instead..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Gus was not our manager-half that lot would not be here,so perhaps we could get a manager that can attract players to the club instead..

You think I want Gus sacked do you ?

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove

Who are the mainstays of the team though? The ones that earn the points over the season?

Out of interest who would you say is the last Poyet signing to be a unanimous success over a decent period of time ie half a season or so?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not sure in what country though. I still think his South American style, like Ardiles before him. won't work in the Northern hemisphere.

It will,but perhaps not in this country after all,given some of the replies....i feel we are not ready to replace our hoof it ways and style to catch up with the rest of the world,thus we shall never see England prosper on the world stage..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You think I want Gus sacked do you ?

Nothing wrong questioning him,but you would not care if he walked i guess..

- - - Updated - - -

Who are the mainstays of the team though? The ones that earn the points over the season?

Out of interest who would you say is the last Poyet signing to be a unanimous success over a decent period of time ie half a season or so?

Tomasz Kuszczak he gets us points too

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think on the whole we've been unlucky this season, compared to pretty damn lucky last season, and we've been just as successful. To me that's progress, we just need a bit more luck and some consistency and then we'll be brilliant.

I reckon our team would be more suited to the Premier League, and getting out of this league might even be harder than staying up with our type of players.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think on the whole we've been unlucky this season, compared to pretty damn lucky last season, and we've been just as successful. To me that's progress, we just need a bit more luck and some consistency and then we'll be brilliant.

I reckon our team would be more suited to the Premier League, and getting out of this league might even be harder than staying up with our type of players.

Bingo-

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nothing wrong questioning him,but you would not care if he walked i guess..

- - - Updated - - -

Tomasz Kuszczak he gets us points too

No I want him to stay put. If though we are no further forward this time next year after spending dosh in the summer then maybe I would have a rethink, maybe.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No I want him to stay put. If though we are no further forward this time next year after spending dosh in the summer then maybe I would have a rethink, maybe.

I have no such doubts,also you mention dosh.......once Gus starts blowing £10m in fees a season without promotion,i'd be inclined to agree

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Think it's a load of absolute rubbish myself. We went all out to sign Vincelot? LOL
CMS thrives on long balls over the top? P sure we've seen him die a death many a game when we try and mix it up with the long ball chap.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Think it's a load of absolute rubbish myself. We went all out to sign Vincelot? LOL
CMS thrives on long balls over the top? P sure we've seen him die a death many a game when we try and mix it up with the long ball chap.

Mackail-Smith certainly is better running onto balls than he is with the slower build up. His best attribute is the initial burst of pace and his energy to run all game.

It doesnt suit the style because the opposition have time to bring lots of men behind the ball and the space disappears.

I am not sure exactly what role he was intended before in Poyet's style. It was perhaps a case that he was the best goalscorer available and was a flavour of the month so he would be a good buy without thinking how he would be used?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Mackail-Smith certainly is better running onto balls than he is with the slower build up. His best attribute is the initial burst of pace and his energy to run all game.

It doesnt suit the style because the opposition have time to bring lots of men behind the ball and the space disappears.

I am not sure exactly what role he was intended before in Poyet's style. It was perhaps a case that he was the best goalscorer available and was a flavour of the month so he would be a good buy without thinking how he would be used?

Yes I thinks that's exactly the problem whilst Murray was perfect in that roll and hopefully Ulloa will be too.

It's also entirely possible that CMS just isn't cut out for the Championship.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can only think of a couple of occasions this season when I have questioned Gus team selection or tactics and for the most part think he has been spot on. However I can think of numerous examples where individual player errors such as missing simple chances or lapses of concentration in the final minutes have cost us valuable points. Gus can't control player mistakes and if we miss the playoffs it will be largely down to the players IMO

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

It's a bit of a cliche but you make your own luck, and we're not doing that this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hi all, first post on here. I am not a Brighton fan as such but moved to the City a few years ago and have watched a bit of Albion and often have a look on here.

I have written a blog about Brighton and specifically Poyet, who I feel perhaps is starting to come under a little pressure.

I would be interested if you feel the article is a fair assessment? I hope Brighton can make the Playoffs this season and to see you in the Premier League would be great for the City but I can't help but feel it won't quite happen this season, as the team are very inconsistent.

Just because of the progress made by the Club in the last few years it doesn't mean you can't be demanding.

Anyway, here is my 'external' perspective:

Brighton Hove Albion and Gus Poyet: Crossroads Ahead? | Between The Lines

To be honest I think your article focusses on the negative too much.

As for Gus feeling the pressure, I felt he was a couple of months back, but now it seems the pressure is off a bit, and we're just going to give it go at getting into the playoffs. If we get there, we've got as good a chance as anyone.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
IMHO a very good outsiders view of the present state of the team, whether Poyet is under real pressure this season I doubt but next I think he will be.There's going to be quite a few coming and going in the playing staff at the end of this season as some of the squad will be out of contract and some will be the wrong side of 30, the problem position of left-back will need to be addressed again. It will also be the start of the 4th full season incharge for Poyet and the 3rd at the Amex, the number of season ticketholders who renew will be interesting as this could also put pressure on as we have many who are new followers and have the Albion as their 2nd team really will they want to keep seeing the same errors as the 1st 2 seasons? So yes I think there will be pressure on Poyet but it will come next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here