Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet starting to feel some pressure?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus reminds me a bit of Leon Knight. Both hang around top players and ex-players so much that they sort of assume they have a God-given right to a job at that level and its only a matter of time. Sadly, sometimes you're destined to just end up scrubbing around at the likes of Swindon, no matter how illustrious your career as a player.

Gus moved on from Swindon a long time ago. He went to Leeds, then Spurs.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gus reminds me a bit of Leon Knight. Both hang around top players and ex-players so much that they sort of assume they have a God-given right to a job at that level and its only a matter of time. Sadly, sometimes you're destined to just end up scrubbing around at the likes of Swindon, no matter how illustrious your career as a player.

Gus has done things different to certain others though like Roy keane and yes to be a top manager you don't have to have had an illustrious career,look at Jose Mourinho...

We shall see,i have faith in Gus,total faith.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know. I was making a reference to Di Canio and how HIS career's turned out.

Your starting to sound like the OP now,looking at others,drawaing comparison and predicting the outcome....

Gus was never a dirty player..........Gus played with passion,and integrity.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. But your total faith will bite you in the bum, and sooner rather than later. We shall see.

Tell that to NO PLAN B "DICK KNIGHT"

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Gus has done things different to certain others though like Roy keane and yes to be a top manager you don't have to have had an illustrious career,look at Jose Mourinho...

We shall see,i have faith in Gus,total faith.

Will be interesting to see how Ulloa does. Poyet has suggested he is the missing piece of the jigsaw so if he isn't a success it would be interesting to see how Poyet reacts. Hopefully his faith is well placed but Dobbie was also a missing piece.

Re the point you make about the OP, I just tried to provide an outside perspective, I'm not a BHA expert by any means. You just need to capitalise on your momentum IMO before it starts to slide.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Will be interesting to see how Ulloa does. Poyet has suggested he is the missing piece of the jigsaw so if he isn't a success it would be interesting to see how Poyet reacts. Hopefully his faith is well placed but Dobbie was also a missing piece.

Re the point you make about the OP, I just tried to provide an outside perspective, I'm not a BHA expert by any means. You just need to capitalise on your momentum IMO before it starts to slide.

In full agreement,but the whole club is not ready just yet to make the leap,despite a lovely new stadium,yes snatch promotion if it comes,but not at the expense of long term security.

btw would you please inform us of your beloved team you support BTL?

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
In full agreement,but the whole club is not ready just yet to make the leap,despite a lovely new stadium,yes snatch promotion if it comes,but not at the expense of long term security.

What is the playing aim then? What goal do you think Gus is being judged against?

At the start of the season it seemed to be Playoffs minimum on here and that was realistic to aim for, the league this year is not as strong as it has been previously.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What is the playing aim then? What goal do you think Gus is being judged against?

At the start of the season it seemed to be Playoffs minimum on here and that was realistic to aim for, the league this year is not as strong as it has been previously.

It always has to be the aim to get promoted,the Premier is what this club will soon be geared up for,but to have a lower half budget and make a loss with 25,000 coming through the gates,suggest's we could not afford to go up,yet we could tripple revenue by gaining promotion and tripple potential loss/debt too.

The aim has to be promotion,but look at our strength in depth,the first choice 11 could beat any team in the division (even i have thought a Top 2 finish was possible & still do) but when i take off my rose tinted spectacles i realize we just do not have a squad big enough laced with enough quality to go up,this does not mean it cannot happen still.

Ulloa? I like him,if he settles,if his wife/partner settles the Top scorer in the Spanish 2nd tier could do well for us,were he playing over here,we could not afford to buy him..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Your right, but would Gus have got us promoted with out Murray and would Mickey have got us promoted without Zamora?

Were they both lucky or are they both born to be top managers?

Right place .........right time maybe?

Micky spotted Zamora as a future star but Gus hasn't pulled out an comparatively cheap gem yet. Murray was already here as was Bennett our other star from promotion year.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
It always has to be the aim to get promoted,the Premier is what this club will soon be geared up for,but to have a lower half budget and make a loss with 25,000 coming through the gates,suggest's we could not afford to go up,yet we could tripple revenue by gaining promotion and tripple potential loss/debt too.

The aim has to be promotion,but look at our strength in depth,the first choice 11 could beat any team in the division (even i have thought a Top 2 finish was possible & still do) but when i take off my rose tinted spectacles i realize we just do not have a squad big enough laced with enough quality to go up,this does not mean it cannot happen still.

Ulloa? I like him,if he settles,if his wife/partner settles the Top scorer in the Spanish 2nd tier could do well for us,were he playing over here,we could not afford to buy him..

As I said in the Blog, how many more players do you want? The bench vs Blackburn was IMO very strong at Championship level, including your record signing. Realistically, how many more additions are needed before the squad is ready? You have decent players not even making the 18. I would be surprised if there was a more complete subs bench at this level at all last weekend.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Micky spotted Zamora as a future star but Gus hasn't pulled out an comparatively cheap gem yet. Murray was already here as was Bennett our other star from promotion year.

That's easier to do in League 2 from a club that is a division above you and they have 2 fantastic strikers that happen to be on fire when you ask.

Liam Bridcutt? Best player Gus has signed to date.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I quite like the look of that Bridders....was he one of Gus's?

No you,re right Dorset he was a great acquisition. His buys though - and I'm talking front men here - have been pretty average at best. Barnes at 125k or whatever has been a bargain though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As I said in the Blog, how many more players do you want? The bench vs Blackburn was IMO very strong at Championship level, including your record signing. Realistically, how many more additions are needed before the squad is ready? You have decent players not even making the 18. I would be surprised if there was a more complete subs bench at this level at all last weekend.

which is why we had to get Upson in?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Fair enough, and good signing. But midfield and attacking options must be right up there with anyone.

Yes and no,lose Buckley Orlandi and Bridcutt,to long term injurie's all at once and we would know it.

That said what do you think is Brighton's problem,are we trying to walk it into the net,do we play too narrow,do we play too slow

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understand that point, but if the best 20mins the team has ever played didn't result in a goal then there is something wrong?
The point is simply that we were playing great football.
Scoring goals at the right time is a key skill, you won't get very far without that.
You get promoted by scoring enough goals, they don't have to be at key times.
If its an 'annoyingly regular occurrence' then that isn't bad luck IMO.
It can't all be bad luck, but luck certainly does play a part in a season for all teams.

How many times have you watched us play? You just seem to be forming your write-up from score lines and newspaper headlines.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Yes and no,lose Buckley Orlandi and Bridcutt,to long term injurie's all at once and we would know it.

That said what do you think is Brighton's problem,are we trying to walk it into the net,do we play too narrow,do we play too slow

Most teams would miss three key players! Even Man Utd or Barcelona.

As for the problem, its hard to pin down. Last season I think some of the passing in your own half caused more problems than it was worth but the games I've seen this season it seems the ball is perhaps played forwards a bit quicker which is good (you can still play quality passing footy, just in the other teams half).

Team selection seems inconsistent, probably partly due to injury but does anyone (or Gus) really know the first choice XI? The midfield especially is changed so much it's hard to get momentum which is the one thing that really helps as you play so many matches close together.

Many times I have been the starting lineup and there are changes, few players in an attacking sense seem to be able to find a rhythm. Buckley earlier in the season looked like he had but he unfortunately picks up niggly injuries (hamstring?) which of course is not the Managers fault. If you look at the top sides, they probably don't have a man for man better team but probably are more settled week to week.

- - - Updated - - -

The point is simply that we were playing great football.
You get promoted by scoring enough goals, they don't have to be at key times.
It can't all be bad luck, but luck certainly does play a part in a season for all teams.

How many times have you watched us play? You just seem to be forming your write-up from score lines and newspaper headlines.

Seen all the TV games plus three league games at the Amex. I'm not a Brighton expert at all, but have seen a decent amount of them over the last two/three seasons to have an opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here