[Albion] Poyet Sky studio guest on Sky tomorrow

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Poyet was a car crash waiting to happen. It took longer than I expected but it still to this day surprises me that we have fans that didn't see it coming.

For me, someone who has been going since the late 80s it was the most exciting time following this football club. Back to back away games at Peterborough and Charlton where I think we would have beaten anyone on both days. Winning at Dagenham to make it a perfect month (was it 9 out of 9 or something bonkers) including a win at Brentford (which we hadn't done for yonks). Bennett's goal at Walsall. Shoving the physios comments right up his arse. Great season.

Real shame it didn't work out and it ended the way it did. Don't have any bad feeling for the guy he wanted to better himself and was honest about it (bit like Maty Ryan really). It's not what fans want to hear so I can understand why it put people's noses out of joint.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought they would go for Muzza actually. He seems to be getting a bit more media work these days and would cover both camps.

Ideally you'd have 2 ex players with some attitude.

a kick plate under the table and a gobbing screen above.

and a 'punch up cam' in the car park for post match enterrtainment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Gus' managerial record since leaving Albion in Jun 2013...

Sunderland - Oct 2013 - Mar 2015. Sacked
AEK Athens October 2015 - April 2016 Sacked
Real Betis May 2016 - November 2016 Sacked
Shanghai Shenuha Nov 2016- Sept 2017 Resigned
Bordeaux : Jan 2018 - September 2018 Sacked

(He has been without a managerial job now for 2.5 years. )

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Gus was clearly excited and happy about the game in those interviews and the ceiling comment was later on. However I am certain that in the radio Sussex interview, he made some odd comments that took the shine off. I know it wasn't after the play offs as the reaction then was understandable. He definitely made comments that reading between the lines indicated that all was not well. I even remember I was driving near Firle as he was interviewed.

el punal

Deserves better than he gets on here.
We were awful to watch before he came along. Revolutionised us tactically and won promotion in his first full season.
He got us playing some beautiful football and into Championship play-offs which seemed like a dream before his arrival.
Oversaw the transition into the Amex and was the catalyst for bringing a new class of player to the club.
His reign was magnificent, his departure was squalid.

You beat me to it!

The 24 hours after that horrible playoff game were probably the most miserable I’ve felt as an Albion fan. I never realised the depth of animosity between Tony Bloom and Gus Poyet that prevailed at the time, or how Poyet had become so egotistical and obnoxious. Since that grim day I’ve heard so many rumours and stories about his sacking that make you wonder what on Earth were Gus’s intentions.

You’re absolutely right though about Gus Poyet transforming the club. His vision and style was a breath of fresh air and the results proved that. That, and the admiration of just about all of us Albion fans, made his departure even sadder.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
How unexpected. Wonder if the passage of time and his relative failure since leaving us have humbled him somewhat.

Can't imagine Bloom and Barber being enamoured by this. I'll get the popcorn

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair, at the time (although we didn't see it as fans) there was a was a glass ceiling and one that we'd placed there. Bloom was heavily reigning in his spending, FFP was biting, David Burke was in charge of transfers. The season after he left Garcia was allowed to sign 3 free transfers and 4 loans: Upson, Chicksen and Agustein (free) and Andrews, Ward, Conway and Lita (loan).

There a reason Garcia left after 1 season and it wasn't because he had too much money to spend. Poyet was a complete turd in the way he left and conducted himself in the media (particularly after the Palace game where I felt he made it all about him), but in hindsight the "glass ceiling" comment turned out to be bang on at the time.

None of which I'd dispute, that a very accurate summary of the situation at the time.

But for Gus to come out with that in the immediate aftermath of the singlemost devastating result since the Playoff Final defeat at Wembley in 91 absolutely stunk. He made it all about him and where he saw his future, when us as fans were reeling.

I loved Gus for what he did for the club, but that interview was a real kick in the guts on top of what had just happened.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair, at the time (although we didn't see it as fans) there was a was a glass ceiling and one that we'd placed there. Bloom was heavily reigning in his spending, FFP was biting, David Burke was in charge of transfers. The season after he left Garcia was allowed to sign 3 free transfers and 4 loans: Upson, Chicksen and Agustein (free) and Andrews, Ward, Conway and Lita (loan).

There a reason Garcia left after 1 season and it wasn't because he had too much money to spend. Poyet was a complete turd in the way he left and conducted himself in the media (particularly after the Palace game where I felt he made it all about him), but in hindsight the "glass ceiling" comment turned out to be bang on at the time.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Between signing Ulloa for £1.6m in January 2013, in Poyets last season, and signing Hemed for £1.2m in July 2015, we only spent more than a million on Stephens, Baldock and Stockdale, while selling Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa, each for more than we spent on any of those three buys. After setting our transfer record when we bought Mackail-Smith in July 2011 it took another four and a half years til we broke it again by buying Knockaert in January 2016.

It took that change in spending approach in 15-16, with over a million spent on each of Hemed, Murphy, Manu, Hunemeier, Knockaert and Skalak, followed by Murray and Duffy the next summer, with no sales, to break that 'glass ceiling'. And let's face it, they're is never a shortage of people on NSC demanding the club spend more and more on players.

I'm not saying it was the wrong approach for the club, but for a young ambitious manager like Poyet having just taken his side to fourth, it's completely understandable that he wanted to push on, instead it took us another three seasons to match that without him. And by all accounts he had already fallen out with TB by then anyway and knew the writing was on the wall.

I watched his post match press conference and I felt his pain, felt that he was just as devastated as the rest of us were feeling. I didn't bristle at criticism or disappointed at making it about him - after all, our meteoric rise from the foot of league 1 to 4th in the championship in 3 and a half short seasons was in no small part down to him. We were f*cking brilliant. After the draw in the first leg and the previous dismantling of Palace in the league game, we all expected to win that night. I put Poyet comments squarely on the crushing disappointment of that evening. It was the unguarded, perhaps misplaced, passion of a man who truly cared. It was only after coming on here that I realised other Brighton fans had taken his comments very differently. Then came the suspension and firing and fall out from poo-gate and the courting of Bridcutt and Buckley, it was a very long goodbye.

And his career nosedived after us. I imagine he was hurt more than we know about what happened at Brighton. He gave his all to us for those three and a half years, the effort and dedication taken to transform our players and our style of play and achieve the success he did, speaks plainly to that.

I was all in with Gus and could never get on board with Garcia or Hyppia. Took Chris to drag me back into day-to-day Albion passion.

It is rare that a manager can leave with his head held high and be an unblemished hero long after he has gone. For all their achievements, there will always be negatives in the memory of Poyet, Adams, Gritt, Melia, Hughton and Mullery's time at the Albion. Rare is the manager who leaves with his record untarnished, even the very best like Wenger, Mourinho or Klopp, as his Liverpool journey seems to be going. Perhaps only Sir Alex, King Kenny (who can be forgiven his second coming at Anfield) and likely Pep, from the recent past, are never going to hear a negative about how things turned out on the end.

I liked Gus. No, that a lie, I LOVED Gus. I'm interested to see what he says tonight. I hope and pray that he's complimentary about us and his time with us.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Exactly the point I was going to make. Between signing Ulloa for £1.6m in January 2013, in Poyets last season, and signing Hemed for £1.2m in July 2015, we only spent more than a million on Stephens, Baldock and Stockdale, while selling Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa, each for more than we spent on any of those three buys. After setting our transfer record when we bought Mackail-Smith in July 2011 it took another four and a half years til we broke it again by buying Knockaert in January 2016.

It took that change in spending approach in 15-16, with over a million spent on each of Hemed, Murphy, Manu, Hunemeier, Knockaert and Skalak, followed by Murray and Duffy the next summer, with no sales, to break that 'glass ceiling'. And let's face it, they're is never a shortage of people on NSC demanding the club spend more and more on players.

I'm not saying it was the wrong approach for the club, but for a young ambitious manager like Poyet having just taken his side to fourth, it's completely understandable that he wanted to push on, instead it took us another three seasons to match that without him. And by all accounts he had already fallen out with TB by then anyway and knew the writing was on the wall.

I watched his post match press conference and I felt his pain, felt that he was just as devastated as the rest of us were feeling. I didn't bristle at criticism or disappointed at making it about him - after all, our meteoric rise from the foot of league 1 to 4th in the championship in 3 and a half short seasons was in no small part down to him. We were f*cking brilliant. After the draw in the first leg and the previous dismantling of Palace in the league game, we all expected to win that night. I put Poyet comments squarely on the crushing disappointment of that evening. It was the unguarded, perhaps misplaced, passion of a man who truly cared. It was only after coming on here that I realised other Brighton fans had taken his comments very differently. Then came the suspension and firing and fall out from poo-gate and the courting of Bridcutt and Buckley, it was a very long goodbye.

And his career nosedived after us. I imagine he was hurt more than we know about what happened at Brighton. He gave his all to us for those three and a half years, the effort and dedication taken to transform our players and our style of play and achieve the success he did, speaks plainly to that.

I was all in with Gus and could never get on board with Garcia or Hyppia. Took Chris to drag me back into day-to-day Albion passion.

It is rare that a manager can leave with his head held high and be an unblemished hero long after he has gone. For all their achievements, there will always be negatives in the memory of Poyet, Adams, Gritt, Melia, Hughton and Mullery's time at the Albion. Rare is the manager who leaves with his record untarnished, even the very best like Wenger, Mourinho or Klopp, as his Liverpool journey seems to be going. Perhaps only Sir Alex, King Kenny (who can be forgiven his second coming at Anfield) and likely Pep, from the recent past, are never going to hear a negative about how things turned out on the end.

I liked Gus. No, that a lie, I LOVED Gus. I'm interested to see what he says tonight. I hope and pray that he's complimentary about us and his time with us.

I agree with this in so many ways. Like you, Gus was the first manager who was here long enough for me to really buy in to. He created a clear identity, was absolutely magnetic in his press conferences and transformed the club from a club bimbling around in the lower leagues (with significant help from Mr Bloom). It was great so see a manager SO passionate about his time with us. He was always high risk, high reward so it's not surprising he left with a massive bang. I think it was less that he burned his bridges, more set them on fire, then napalmed the remains.

His time at the club will always be one of my favourite times as a Brighton fan. No question. It's the one season on the Withdean Years DVD that I come back to time and again. That March period of 8 wins on the bounce was insane.

I would also say that Hughton's sacking meant that he has probably left with his record unblemished. The mood was definitely on the turn in the last 3 or so months and Bloom acted very quickly. As a result, I think he firmly achieved every goal he was set as manager.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

A really good post that has helped me remember what I loved about the Poyet era and be more balanced in my views of the end of his tenure.

When the fan/manager connection breaks down like it it did for me after that Palace game its easy to forget the good times and the progress we made. He was easily one of the best managers we ever had and he came pretty close to taking that crown

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Legend of a manager who pulled us up by our bootstraps and ensured we kicked off at the Amex in the Championship.

It didn't end well. But anyone who fails to acknowledge what Poyet did for BHA is a class-A twatter.

Acknowledge for sure but not respect.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe when Zaha does his dying swan thing in the box, Poyet can turn his back on the penalty that he's being paid good money to watch so he can mug it up to the paying audience. Not that that would ever happen. Oh

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Spot on. The club realised after that and Sami that Poyet was probably right, and completely changed the recruitment and wage structure. I'd go so far as to say what Poyet did was necessary for us to progress properly. He was a superb manager for us, probably the most influential one we've ever had. But he was also the right man at the right time. He must look at us now with a fair bit of envy, I imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports