Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poyet Sky studio guest on Sky tomorrow

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Legend of a manager who pulled us up by our bootstraps and ensured we kicked off at the Amex in the Championship.

It didn't end well. But anyone who fails to acknowledge what Poyet did for BHA is a class-A twatter.

Ah, Brighton. Ultimately Poyet's greatest lost opportunity.

If he'd kept his ego in his pram (and kept Murray) and stayed, got us to the PL and kept us there for a season or two he could be managing a big club now; even Spurs or Chelsea perhaps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If he'd kept his ego in his pram (and kept Murray) and stayed, got us to the PL and kept us there for a season or two he could be managing a big club now; even Spurs or Chelsea perhaps.

Maybe. We'll never know.

But that League One season he was without question the right man at the right time. We absolutely BEASTED that league in one of the greatest seasons I've had following this club. Charlton away was frankly ridiculous.

I find it odd how people colour their judgement on how it ended. Poyet was a massive shot in the arm for BHA, at exactly the time we needed it. We had no right to storm the division in the manner we did, and HE did that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe. We'll never know.

But that League One season he was without question the right man at the right time. We absolutely BEASTED that league in one of the greatest seasons I've had following this club. Charlton away was frankly ridiculous.

I find it odd how people colour their judgement on how it ended. Poyet was a massive shot in the arm for BHA, at exactly the time we needed it. We had no right to storm the division in the manner we did, and HE did that.

Absolutely. we'll never know - I certainly don't claim to.

However. I'm sure a little speculation is allowed on NSC?
:)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don’t recall the first point (it was 3-0 btw) - certainly no comments ruined any aftermath for me!
Haha, yeah 3 nil, maybe his comments made it seem like they'd scored.

I was driving home and he was interviewed. He was extremely negative which certainly put a huge dampener on the day for us as we were up to that point ecstatic. I think that may have been when he mentioned glass ceilings but I am unsure. After such a long time waiting to beat our rivals, his attitude, whatever was going on behind the scenes, stunk.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Best manager we have ever had given the transformation he made.

Potter MAY be the first since to come close.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I was driving home and he was interviewed. He was extremely negative which certainly put a huge dampener on the day for us as we were up to that point ecstatic. I think that may have been when he mentioned glass ceilings but I am unsure. After such a long time waiting to beat our rivals, his attitude, whatever was going on behind the scenes, stunk.

This is completely the opposite of how I remember it. He was beside himself with excitement, knew what it has meant to the fans and was loving it. I remember him saying exactly that. You’ve allowed yourself to re-write history here.

Never really took to Poyet as a personality because of the way he treated Nicky Forster when he first came in, tho he might have been in the right for all I know. We really should be over any animosity though by now, one of our top 5 greatest managers surely

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just got me thinking. The actual truth of why Tano Gus & Charlie got suspended never really came out. I know we had to be very careful on here at the time, heard various rumours but nothing concrete. Not sure if anyone knows or there’s public comment of it? Not wanting anyone to post on here and get in trouble, just curious if there was official first hand word? (Or PM me if you know for sure ;) )

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Pretty sure the "glass ceiling" remarks were in the aftermath of losing at home to the filth in the Playoffs. It just served to rub salt into what was at that point already a gaping wound.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Deserves better than he gets on here.
We were awful to watch before he came along. Revolutionised us tactically and won promotion in his first full season.
He got us playing some beautiful football and into Championship play-offs which seemed like a dream before his arrival.
Oversaw the transition into the Amex and was the catalyst for bringing a new class of player to the club.
His reign was magnificent, his departure was squalid.

Yes I agree,and your last sentence sums things up perfectly.
But I will say I agreed with Gus about the clackers at the palace game,a spectacular own goal by the club there.
Those clackers ruined the match.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Maybe. We'll never know.

I was working on Saturdays for the first half of the season and just saw the midweek home games, 1-0 and 3-0.

At the start of 2011 my shift changed and I got my Saturdays back 5-0, 3-1,3-1, 2-0, 4-1, 4-0, 4-3, 2-0, 1-0 (last Saturday I could go to v Notts County then had to work Saturdays again).

I went to 1 more midweek game that season 4-3

League games* attended 12. 12 wins, F36 A 9.

*I went to the Johnsons paint trophy defeat v Leyton Orient early in the season as well and at that point probably thought we were shit..

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This is completely the opposite of how I remember it. He was beside himself with excitement, knew what it has meant to the fans and was loving it. I remember him saying exactly that. You’ve allowed yourself to re-write history here.

He had, though, told Tony Bloom four days before that match that he was going to leave at the end of the season, and that if he "..could leave the next day that would be fine."

Albion chairman reveals Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He had, though, told Tony Bloom four days before that match that he was going to leave at the end of the season, and that if he "..could leave the next day that would be fine."

Can’t read that as it is behind a paywall, so the below may be mentioned.

I remember he also said, not long after the match that this would be a good result to leave the fans with, and a good time to leave the club. Pretty sure that I haven’t made that up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Very true.

But personally, I'll always think fondly of him. An excellent manager for us whose ego let him down in the end. I don't doubt for one minute that he regrets his conduct here for his own reasons.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

No, no re-writing of history. He was NOT beside himself with excitement, he made a bunch of odd remarks and was extremely negative. I was dumbfounded as were my brother and two lads who were in the car. There were threads on NSC about it.

And this came over very loud and clear, his dissatisfaction with the way things were completely took over in his after match comments. I understand why he spoke as he did, but the timing was awful and spoiled an otherwise perfect day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We beat palace 3-1 in the St Paddy's Day massacre and then he ruins the aftermath with his sly comments.

We beat them 3-0 and he said:

Brighton manager Gus Poyet told BBC Sussex:

"Playing in this division is difficult and it can be tough even when you're the best team on the pitch. What a day - one to remember.

"Leonardo Ulloa is making the difference. I am pleased for him, if he had been here for the first six months I can't imagine where we would be right now.

"What a prize for him, scoring two goals against our biggest rivals. I am very happy for him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21732294

I think you're mixing up the playoff post game which was pretty much Gus's career low point. However, we had been brilliant under him for much of the rest of his reign with the well-mentioned Murray mistake perhaps being his only other gaffe.

It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say tonight. I can't imagine he has much time for Bloom and he certainly doesn't for Barber.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Pretty sure the "glass ceiling" remarks were in the aftermath of losing at home to the filth in the Playoffs. It just served to rub salt into what was at that point already a gaping wound.

To be fair, at the time (although we didn't see it as fans) there was a was a glass ceiling and one that we'd placed there. Bloom was heavily reigning in his spending, FFP was biting, David Burke was in charge of transfers. The season after he left Garcia was allowed to sign 3 free transfers and 4 loans: Upson, Chicksen and Agustein (free) and Andrews, Ward, Conway and Lita (loan).

There a reason Garcia left after 1 season and it wasn't because he had too much money to spend. Poyet was a complete turd in the way he left and conducted himself in the media (particularly after the Palace game where I felt he made it all about him), but in hindsight the "glass ceiling" comment turned out to be bang on at the time.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Loved our time under Gustavo. I'm over how it ended, and no remaining hard feelings. The football we played under him was so much better than we'd been used to for at least as long as I remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here