Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Answer me one question...If YOU had the players available to you, that beat Palace 3-0 convincingly just a couple of months earlier, why would you not play them in a must win game against the same side???...Although I still think we should have gone up automatic, our pathetic performance against Palace over two legs was just unforgivable. The Amex game was a one off cup final. Now I can except defeat, that's part and parcel of life. What I can't except is to not go down fighting. I'd rather go down putting up a fight, than just covering up on the ropes. That game was taylor made for Vicente with 30 mins to go and where was he???...We know he was fit, but Poyet thought we could do without a world class player in our ranks that night.

We only "know" he was fit because he claimed it in an interview with the Argus. We've not heard the club's or Poyet's view on this. He may have been trying to get a deal at another club by saying how he was fit for the second half of the season.

LuaLua is inconsistent. Yes, in hindsight, he probably should have played him. It wasn't a great performance but he got the first leg right and one off games are always a bit random.

You didn't answer my question from the previous post. I think Bloom made a great choice with Poyet and he did a fantastic job for us so I trust him to appoint the right man this time. On what grounds do you trust Bloom as you obviously think he made a bad choice in appointing Gus and giving him a new contract twice?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Safe your breath. Poyet isn't fit for purpose.

Depends what your purpose is. If it is to go from bottom 6 of League 1 to 4th in the Championship in under 4 years, I would say he has shown himself pretty fit for purpose.

What annoys me is that people are so irrational. I will support whoever we get as a new manager and it has probably come too far for us to have Gus back, however it does not mean we should slag him off and ignore what he has achieved. Sadly, a lot of people seem to be doing that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We only "know" he was fit because he claimed it in an interview with the Argus. We've not heard the club's or Poyet's view on this. He may have been trying to get a deal at another club by saying how he was fit for the second half of the season.

LuaLua is inconsistent. Yes, in hindsight, he probably should have played him. It wasn't a great performance but he got the first leg right and one off games are always a bit random.

You didn't answer my question from the previous post. I think Bloom made a great choice with Poyet and he did a fantastic job for us so I trust him to appoint the right man this time. On what grounds do you trust Bloom as you obviously think he made a bad choice in appointing Gus and giving him a new contract twice?

I think Bloom made a great choice when he appointed Poyet. He wasn't to know that his ego would run away with himself a few years down the line and he would start to think he owned the place and was above reproach and a untouchable dictator.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think Bloom made a great choice when he appointed Poyet. He wasn't to know that his ego would run away with himself a few years down the line and he would start to think he owned the place and was above reproach and a untouchable dictator.

There really is no point in arguing with this. Obviously, you know everything that has gone on and mere mortals like me have no idea so I bow to your superior knowledge. Clearly Poyet has become a terrible manager and we should have won the league by 15 points ahead of Cardiff, who clearly spent peanuts compared to us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
18 Draws tells it's own story. Gus always said on many occasions that he played every game to win. But 18 draws must lead you to believe the first objective was not to lose. Our defence was outstanding, if only we had been a bit more attack minded(and I don't mean throw the kitchen sink at it either) we would have gone up automatic without any shadow of doubt....The three away games against, Bristol City, Barnsley and Bolton where we took 1 point and the home games against Blackburn, Millwall and Charlton cost us promotion, not the two play off games against Palace. There is a massive myth around Poyet that he is an attack minded manager, that is total 100% shite. He is the most negative manager since Mike Bailey and 18 draws bares that out, despite having some of the best attacking players in the league.

You can spin the draw statistics the other way as well though. Every other team around us had a proper wobble, where they were losing games left, right and centre. When we went through those stages we still picked up points, because we tended to grind out draws rather than lose the games. If we hadn't managed that we wouldn't have even been in the play offs.

People still seem to thinks 4-5-1 is a defensive formation, just because there is only one striker on the pitch. It isn't. Some of those games at home where we had Ulloa up front with Lopez, Orlandi and Buckley / Lua Lua / Vicente bombing on behind him were amazing, it was a very attacking formation. And it works away from home as well because you can keep the same shape without pushing forward so much, it's much more interchangeable than 4-4-2 is.

As for your other post, I'm not sure Bloom's been 'bitten' by appointing a foreigner, he appointed the most successful manager we've had in the last 30 years! I agree about Hoddle though, I think I'd be happy with him, although he wouldn't be my first choice. Definitely don't want Curbishley though. Oscar is the number one for me.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Answer me one question...If YOU had the players available to you, that beat Palace 3-0 convincingly just a couple of months earlier, why would you not play them in a must win game against the same side???...Although I still think we should have gone up automatic, our pathetic performance against Palace over two legs was just unforgivable. The Amex game was a one off cup final. Now I can except defeat, that's part and parcel of life. What I can't except is to not go down fighting. I'd rather go down putting up a fight, than just covering up on the ropes. That game was taylor made for Vicente with 30 mins to go and where was he???...We know he was fit, but Poyet thought we could do without a world class player in our ranks that night.

I'm afraid that simply isn't true, according to Vicente's own account in the Argus back in May when he slammed Poyet.

To quote: "On Friday I was fine and I was warming up feeling fine. On Saturday I had a bit of pain and said to the doctor about not training. The manager wanted me to train but I didn't feel good. On Sunday I trained with a lot of discomfort and on Monday I wasn't 100 per cent for a match like that. I preferred that a team-mate who was in better shape played."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There's also a sense of arrogance about it. We frequently criticise Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday fans, and others for their "we're a big club" attitude, their "we should walk this division" attitudes, and yet here on display are our own fans with similar self importance.
Very good point. I lost count of the number of times I read on here that the squad was good enough for automatic promotion and the fact it wasn't delivered (and we couldn't even sneak in via the play-offs) meant that Poyet had 'failed'. When it comes to having arrogant and deluded fans with an inflated sense of entitlement we're up there with the best (worst) of 'em.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very good point. I lost count of the number of times I read on here that the squad was good enough for automatic promotion and the fact it wasn't delivered (and we couldn't even sneak in via the play-offs) meant that Poyet had 'failed'. When it comes to having arrogant and deluded fans with an inflated sense of entitlement we're up there with the best (worst) of 'em.

I think a lot of fans have an inflated opinion of their team. I thought a lot of the football fraternity would be fascinated by events at The Amex, but having trawled other teams websites, nobody seems to care that much!!!

Interestingly they all believe they'll be challenging and in many cases think we will as well!!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think a lot of fans have an inflated opinion of their team. I thought a lot of the football fraternity would be fascinated by events at The Amex, but having trawled other teams websites, nobody seems to care that much!!!

Interestingly they all believe they'll be challenging and in many cases think we will as well!!!!
Probably because of the amount of time it's gone on for! No neutral could possibly be that interested in waiting for the results of another club's internal disciplinary hearing. It'll probably become briefly interesting again when the result is know, but 'manager and chairman fall out' is not exactly riveting news or anything out of the ordinary.

With regard to your first point, yeah, you're probably right. That's what makes us 'fans' after all: that suspension of sanity and its replacement by blind optimism and the fervent hope that if you say something often enough ("we're good enough for automatic promotion!") it will eventually become true.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
That's what makes us 'fans' after all: that suspension of sanity and its replacement by blind optimism and the fervent hope that if you say something often enough ("we're good enough for automatic promotion!") it will eventually become true.

How eloquent!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Whats happened to those who continually stated Gus is God, can do no wrong etc,etc,they must be feeling rather low at the moment,where do they go from here?????????????????

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whats happened to those who continually stated Gus is God, can do no wrong etc,etc,they must be feeling rather low at the moment,where do they go from here?????????????????

What a stupid comment. I didn't see anyone saying Gus is god even when we finished fourth. What I did see (and still see now) is people trying to give a rational and fair account of Poyet's time in charge when he actually achieved a lot. This is compared to others like you, throwing their toys out of the pram and saying Poyet was a poor manager for us when they don't know any of the facts of the situation. If Poyet leaves this week, I will maintain my opinion that he did a good job for us but that it is time to move on and support the new manager. I bet in your case, you will probably support them for two games and then call for them to be sacked if they lose after that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bit harsh, we all loved Poyet when he took us to the Championship. Of course many of us tired of his comments, but equally the success he achieved can never be taken away.

Hopefully time to move on soon.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What a stupid comment. I didn't see anyone saying Gus is god even when we finished fourth. What I did see (and still see now) is people trying to give a rational and fair account of Poyet's time in charge when he actually achieved a lot. This is compared to others like you, throwing their toys out of the pram and saying Poyet was a poor manager for us when they don't know any of the facts of the situation. If Poyet leaves this week, I will maintain my opinion that he did a good job for us but that it is time to move on and support the new manager. I bet in your case, you will probably support them for two games and then call for them to be sacked if they lose after that.

Quite, what happens if the new manager loses 5 on the spin?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Depends what your purpose is. If it is to go from bottom 6 of League 1 to 4th in the Championship in under 4 years, I would say he has shown himself pretty fit for purpose.

What annoys me is that people are so irrational. I will support whoever we get as a new manager and it has probably come too far for us to have Gus back, however it does not mean we should slag him off and ignore what he has achieved. Sadly, a lot of people seem to be doing that.

Agree. He has burned his bridges I think but I am still grateful for his contribution and the journey. Sorry it didn't work out but he needs a better PR advisor for the future.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Similarly those who didnt 'love' Poyet are rather enjoying the moment to put the boot in and have a good gloat....of course if you don't do this and perhaps point to some of the good things that have happened under poyet you are automatically labelled a poyet 'lover' instead of perhaps balancing the argument up somewhat

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Similarly those who didnt 'love' Poyet are rather enjoying the moment to put the boot in and have a good gloat....of course if you don't do this and perhaps point to some of the good things that have happened under poyet you are automatically labelled a poyet 'lover' instead of perhaps balancing the argument up somewhat

It's sad isn't it. Our club is going through a difficult time and all some people can do is gloat about it (even though they don't really have anything to gloat about). I just hope once this is sorted we can all move on and support the team and manager!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agree. He has burned his bridges I think but I am still grateful for his contribution and the journey. Sorry it didn't work out but he needs a better PR advisor for the future.

I liked the way that Poyet told us what he was thinking and wore his heart on his sleeve, I found it quite refreshing. I think that in current times where every statement is gone over by a team of PR people so as it gives exactly the right message (usually saying **** all) having a manager come out and tell us what he was thinking was wonderful. I do understand that this is out of the ordinary and hearing the truth (that we all know anyway) is very difficult.

I don't buy into this idea that finishing the was some how a failure. We were competing with teams that have been in that division for many years with quality sqauds, with teams that were enjoying parachute payments and Premier League quality players and teams with far Richer owners than us. We came up with our League One squad and were adapting quickly to our new surroundings and putting together something very special.

I for one and sad to see Gus leave and remain skeptical that our next manager will be able to do as good a job as Poyet. I hope the differences can be reconciled and that Gus remains out manager for the next few years, until Chelsea or Spurs come knocking as i think this is the best outcome for all parties (although I understand how unlikely this is).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I liked the way that Poyet told us what he was thinking and wore his heart on his sleeve, I found it quite refreshing. I think that in current times where every statement is gone over by a team of PR people so as it gives exactly the right message (usually saying **** all) having a manager come out and tell us what he was thinking was wonderful. I do understand that this is out of the ordinary and hearing the truth (that we all know anyway) is very difficult.

I don't buy into this idea that finishing the was some how a failure. We were competing with teams that have been in that division for many years with quality sqauds, with teams that were enjoying parachute payments and Premier League quality players and teams with far Richer owners than us. We came up with our League One squad and were adapting quickly to our new surroundings and putting together something very special.

I for one and sad to see Gus leave and remain skeptical that our next manager will be able to do as good a job as Poyet. I hope the differences can be reconciled and that Gus remains out manager for the next few years, until Chelsea or Spurs come knocking as i think this is the best outcome for all parties (although I understand how unlikely this is).
well said sir :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here