Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gus can only work with a massive budget but who couldn't. Gus got lucky with us. Any manager could of got us into the play offs with the Budget Gus had.

My God you do read some nonsense on here. What a load of absolute bollocks.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Let's get one thing straight. We have so far lost Vicente(didn't hardly play), Dicker(didn't hardly play) and Painter(didn't hardly play) from the first team squad. Bridge needs replacing no doubt. As for Upson, I'd love for us to sign him and hopefully we will, but Dunk's problems are all behind him now and hopefully he will return and it will be like having a new centre half. Crofts we all know is a very good player who for some reason had a poor season, he also could be like a new signing. So barring Bridge who definitely need replacing, as it stand will still basically have the same squad of players who finished 4th, four points off automatic promotion after drawing 18 games. I see no reason why we won't have a very good season indeed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let's get one thing straight. We have so far lost Vicente(didn't hardly play), Dicker(didn't hardly play) and Painter(didn't hardly play) from the first team squad. Bridge needs replacing no doubt. As for Upson, I'd love for us to sign him and hopefully we will, but Dunk's problems are all behind him now and hopefully he will return and it will be like having a new centre half. Crofts we all know is a very good player who for some reason had a poor season, he also could be like a new signing. So barring Bridge who definitely need replacing, as it stand will still basically have the same squad of players who finished 4th, four points off automatic promotion after drawing 18 games. I see no reason why we won't have a very good season indeed.

Yeah I agree, and I'm not sure Bridge was ever a realistic signing anyway. I think we'll sign Upson, and hopefully Hammond as well. I'm still not sure we'll do as well as last season with a new man in charge though, especially as he'll be starting late. I predicted 4th at the start of the season last year, this time I'm going with 6th. The new manager HAS to make the play-offs.

Who do you want in charge, Kev?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah I agree, and I'm not sure Bridge was ever a realistic signing anyway. I think we'll sign Upson, and hopefully Hammond as well. I'm still not sure we'll do as well as last season with a new man in charge though, especially as he'll be starting late. I predicted 4th at the start of the season last year, this time I'm going with 6th. The new manager HAS to make the play-offs.

Hammond would only be a loan wouldn't he as a year left

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
kevtherev;5768649 Dunk's problems are all behind him now and hopefully he will return and it will be like having a new centre half..[/QUOTE said:
Dunk I agree with. Some people don't understand what he went threw. I once was on remand looking at 6 years plus and manged to get bail to the bail hostel in Brighton then after a few months manged to get bail to my parents. Two years it took me to appear at Lewes crown court and not one day passed without me thinking of spending years behind bars and my life was crap, didn't communicate with mates, lost interest in life, wanted to give up so I know what Dunk went threw.

After his aquatile at the old bailey he must of felt like a new man and hopefully he can now concentrate on his footballing career.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I'm not sure how realistic Bridge was but there were rumours he had agreed to sign for us before the issues came up. It certainly took whatever chance we did have away. We are going to struggle to find a left back as good as Bridge for next season. Better offer signing a younger player who can grow into the role. Upson and Hammond are difficult to call but are replaceable, it just seems to be very close to the start of the season and we don't have a manager. I'm not even sure the play offs are a must as a new manager will have a different style (even if it is only slightly different) and will need time to settle and let new players bed in. We will see though. Whoever it is, it would be great to have them in this week and at least allow them to start planning for next season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Not forgetting that we have Ulloa for a full season this time.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Whoever Bloom appoints, I believe he will be proved right. But i'm not going to dodge the question because that's not my style. This Oscar on paper looks very good and exciting appointment. I worry about his lack of experience in the championship, which I think is a typical more like old style English league than the Prem, where players have far more time on the ball. And I would be surprised if Bloom appointed another foreigner(one bitten twice shy), although if Blooms happy after interviewing him then that's fair enough.....I think it all come's down to the interview process(which may well have already been done). You can have the best cv in the world but you have to give off the right vibes and impress the chairman to get the gig and that is something that none of us can know what happens. Someone can be nailed on for the job right up to the last minute but something could not feel right and so it won't happen. I thought Curbishley would be a good choice for us, if his heart was in it and he wanted it badly enough, but all this talk about Hoddle in the last few days has also been quite interesting. He is quite possibly the best English coach of his generation and his views are very well respected in the game. If he was 100% committed and wanted the job, i'd be very happy with him......Darren Ferguson is the name I have heard but I certainly hope not.......I do think experience of this division is a massive advantage to have, how many wise old heads out witted Poyet over the last couple of seasons tactically, despite not having the same quality of players on the pitch.......oh and someone who doesn't tell the opposition exactly what we are going to do, week in week out, so they can easily work us out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The starting late is key. Whilst we have had all the "don't panic", merchants on here, if the new manager doesn't fancy some of the players or does want to change the style, there will only be limited time to bring people in. Its all very well, saying David Burke has identified our targets, but what if player X does not fit? How many managers would believe in AEA for example or Ashley Barnes? Gus has proven both players, have what it takes at this level, but would a Oscar, Di Matteo or Redknapp agree? If not, that's 2 new players.

I am concerned about this..... Like all of us I do not want a season of consolidation.....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whoever Bloom appoints, I believe he will be proved right. But i'm not going to dodge the question because that's not my style. This Oscar on paper looks very good and exciting appointment. I worry about his lack of experience in the championship, which I think is a typical more like old style English league than the Prem, where players have far more time on the ball. And I would be surprised if Bloom appointed another foreigner(one bitten twice shy), although if Blooms happy after interviewing him then that's fair enough.....I think it all come's down to the interview process(which may well have already been done). You can have the best cv in the world but you have to give off the right vibes and impress the chairman to get the gig and that is something that none of us can know what happens. Someone can be nailed on for the job right up to the last minute but something could not feel right and so it won't happen. I thought Curbishley would be a good choice for us, if his heart was in it and he wanted it badly enough, but all this talk about Hoddle in the last few days has also been quite interesting. He is quite possibly the best English coach of his generation and his views are very well respected in the game. If he was 100% committed and wanted the job, i'd be very happy with him......Darren Ferguson is the name I have heard but I certainly hope not.......I do think experience of this division is a massive advantage to have, how many wise old heads out witted Poyet over the last couple of seasons tactically, despite not having the same quality of players on the pitch.......oh and someone who doesn't tell the opposition exactly what we are going to do, week in week out, so they can easily work us out.

I genuinely don't get some of your comments about Poyet. Yes, he played a certain way and we didn't come from behind very much (although that statistic ignores the fact that we did come from behind against Birmingham and Wolves only to concede last minute equalisers). However, we came fourth in the division which is pretty good for a team who can be so easily worked out.

However, I do agree with what you say about trusting Bloom. He has made one appointment so far and most people think he did pretty well in his time as manager. I actually think a foreigner would fit our ethos and playing style much better and I can't see any British managers that I want. Bloom obviously trusted his judgement with Gus (who was on nobody's list) and hopefully he will do so again and be as successful.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The starting late is key. Whilst we have had all the "don't panic", merchants on here, if the new manager doesn't fancy some of the players or does want to change the style, there will only be limited time to bring people in. Its all very well, saying David Burke has identified our targets, but what if player X does not fit? How many managers would believe in AEA for example or Ashley Barnes? Gus has proven both players, have what it takes at this level, but would a Oscar, Di Matteo or Redknapp agree? If not, that's 2 new players.

I am concerned about this..... Like all of us I do not want a season of consolidation.....

I know it sounds a little unambitious. Yes, we should be aiming for the play offs but if we were to drop to 8th this season under a new manager, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Hopefully, we will have done that without many loans and have a good position to build on the next season. Obviously, if the new manager hits the ground running and signs a few players quickly, the other side is we might do even better than this season as we had the best record in the league in the second half of the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know it sounds a little unambitious. Yes, we should be aiming for the play offs but if we were to drop to 8th this season under a new manager, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Hopefully, we will have done that without many loans and have a good position to build on the next season. Obviously, if the new manager hits the ground running and signs a few players quickly, the other side is we might do even better than this season as we had the best record in the league in the second half of the season.

Hope you're right. I guess my normal half full glass, is beginning to empty as time goes on......

If we don't start moving the situation on tomorrow or this week, then God help us. All this delaying the players return (as reported in the Argus) , must be nonsense as well, how many employers say take an extra week whilst we sort out our management structure.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I genuinely don't get some of your comments about Poyet. Yes, he played a certain way and we didn't come from behind very much (although that statistic ignores the fact that we did come from behind against Birmingham and Wolves only to concede last minute equalisers). However, we came fourth in the division which is pretty good for a team who can be so easily worked out.

However, I do agree with what you say about trusting Bloom. He has made one appointment so far and most people think he did pretty well in his time as manager. I actually think a foreigner would fit our ethos and playing style much better and I can't see any British managers that I want. Bloom obviously trusted his judgement with Gus (who was on nobody's list) and hopefully he will do so again and be as successful.

18 Draws tells it's own story. Gus always said on many occasions that he played every game to win. But 18 draws must lead you to believe the first objective was not to lose. Our defence was outstanding, if only we had been a bit more attack minded(and I don't mean throw the kitchen sink at it either) we would have gone up automatic without any shadow of doubt....The three away games against, Bristol City, Barnsley and Bolton where we took 1 point and the home games against Blackburn, Millwall and Charlton cost us promotion, not the two play off games against Palace. There is a massive myth around Poyet that he is an attack minded manager, that is total 100% shite. He is the most negative manager since Mike Bailey and 18 draws bares that out, despite having some of the best attacking players in the league.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Just to stoke the fires and as i just mentioned on the fathers day thread I was on the stadium tour today and the boardroom is set up for a meeting ready for tomorrow. The guide said it could be for anyone or anything but WE know the truth...its for a meeting *wink wink nod nod*.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
18 Draws tells it's own story. Gus always said on many occasions that he played every game to win. But 18 draws must lead you to believe the first objective was not to lose. Our defence was outstanding, if only we had been a bit more attack minded(and I don't mean throw the kitchen sink at it either) we would have gone up automatic without any shadow of doubt....The three away games against, Bristol City, Barnsley and Bolton where we took 1 point and the home games against Blackburn, Millwall and Charlton cost us promotion, not the two play off games against Palace. There is a massive myth around Poyet that he is an attack minded manager, that is total 100% shite. He is the most negative manager since Mike Bailey and 18 draws bares that out, despite having some of the best attacking players in the league.

I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with the tactics we used. The logic may have been for some games that we shouldn't lose first but that changed a lot in the second half of the season, after we signed Ulloa, where we were top of the form table. We had a bad three games away from home but you can look at all teams and say they threw points away. Some home games, we did everything but win. That wasn't Gus being defensive, it was due to other teams being allowed to play well against us and take points. Most teams find it difficult to beat teams who come and put 11 men behind the ball.

He may not be the attack minded manager ever (although there was some breath taking football at times) but he is definitely not that defensive. Peter Taylor, for example, was very defensive and we won a lot of games 1-0.

Just because you keep saying 18 draws, doesn't make your point any more valid. As an aside, if Poyet did such a bad job and Bloom appointed and twice gave him a new contract, what makes you trust Bloom's judgement in appointing a new manager?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with the tactics we used. The logic may have been for some games that we shouldn't lose first but that changed a lot in the second half of the season, after we signed Ulloa, where we were top of the form table. We had a bad three games away from home but you can look at all teams and say they threw points away. Some home games, we did everything but win. That wasn't Gus being defensive, it was due to other teams being allowed to play well against us and take points. Most teams find it difficult to beat teams who come and put 11 men behind the ball.

He may not be the attack minded manager ever (although there was some breath taking football at times) but he is definitely that defensive. Peter Taylor, for example, was very defensive and we won a lot of games 1-0.

Just because you keep saying 18 draws, doesn't make your point any more valid. As an aside, if Poyet did such a bad job and Bloom appointed and twice gave him a new contract, what makes you trust Bloom's judgement in appointing a new manager?

Some very valid comments

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

He may not be the attack minded manager ever (although there was some breath taking football at times) but he is definitely that defensive. Peter Taylor, for example, was very defensive and we won a lot of games 1-0.

Answer me one question...If YOU had the players available to you, that beat Palace 3-0 convincingly just a couple of months earlier, why would you not play them in a must win game against the same side???...Although I still think we should have gone up automatic, our pathetic performance against Palace over two legs was just unforgivable. The Amex game was a one off cup final. Now I can except defeat, that's part and parcel of life. What I can't except is to not go down fighting. I'd rather go down putting up a fight, than just covering up on the ropes. That game was taylor made for Vicente with 30 mins to go and where was he???...We know he was fit, but Poyet thought we could do without a world class player in our ranks that night.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Answer me one question...If YOU had the players available to you, that beat Palace 3-0 convincingly just a couple of months earlier, why would you not play them in a must win game against the same side???...Although I still think we should have gone up automatic, our pathetic performance against Palace over two legs was just unforgivable. The Amex game was a one off cup final. Now I can except defeat, that's part and parcel of life. What I can't except is to not go down fighting. I'd rather go down putting up a fight, than just covering up on the ropes. That game was taylor made for Vicente with 30 mins to go and where was he???...We know he was fit, by Poyet thought we could do without a world class player in our ranks that night.

I sure you have a camera and microphone in the Amex because you know a heck of a lot about was happened and whats going to happen either that or as pure usual you are talking shite please shut the **** up

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Answer me one question...If YOU had the players available to you, that beat Palace 3-0 convincingly just a couple of months earlier, why would you not play them in a must win game against the same side???...Although I still think we should have gone up automatic, our pathetic performance against Palace over two legs was just unforgivable. The Amex game was a one off cup final. Now I can except defeat, that's part and parcel of life. What I can't except is to not go down fighting. I'd rather go down putting up a fight, than just covering up on the ropes. That game was taylor made for Vicente with 30 mins to go and where was he???...We know he was fit, but Poyet thought we could do without a world class player in our ranks that night.

Safe your breath. Poyet isn't fit for purpose.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

If Hammond had buried his free header in the first leg, or Barnes' chip had not been saved by Speroni, then we would probably have gone through. We were outdone by a very defensive Palace side with two defensive midfielders, and a special player in Zaha. Our performance against Palace over two legs was far from pathetic.

Your hyperbolic drivel is becoming increasingly tedious..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here