Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Actually gone past caring now! I will arrive at amex on the first game of the season and just look around to see who is in the dugout and who is on the pitch playing for us

Why do people write shit like this?

Too right... We're away first game of the season*, he'd be looking at an empty Amex!

(I believe it's been confirmed Pride 2013 means we have to play away that weekend)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As with many issues these days, people look for a black or white, good or bad judgement on people and tend to end up re-writing history.

For what it's worth, for me, Poyet will be the man who brought unforgettable, fantastic continental-style football to the Albion at the start of the Amex era, and who delivered considerable success on the pitch. An engaging personality, entertaining off the pitch and at press conferences, always with a ready quote, his supreme self-confidence and impatience to progress was simultaneously a strength and a weakness. His shameless self-promotion and touting of himself to other clubs was always an irritant to fans and club officials, but indicative a ruthless will to get to the top as quickly as possible.

and on many occasions said he would rather that with the Albion
otherwise I totally agree

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
That's true mate , only been supporting Brighton over 45 years but I know nothing because I have only been on here a few weeks
But I will still wait until tomorrow, it's amazing there are only 3 People that know what is going to happen but we get over 20 pages of utter tosh. Still waving my nobody knows paddle in the air. But as for opinion this to end & ASAP so we can get on with next season.

Get used to it mate, you'll likely get called Jcl soon ffs, and as for pages of tosh well you have to learn to edit on here or you'll go mad....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Far from it, but suggestions that it'll be all doom and gloom on the management front post-Poyet is a load of bollogs. We should be embracing it. Plus ca change.

under Poyet we've gone from 13th L1 to 1st L1 to 10th Championship to 4th Championship. Why we should be willing for this rise to stop, to embrace that change is confusing to me. Its a shame that this will probably happen because of a personality clash at the top of the club. I doubt Gus is blameless in that, but still...

The managers you list, Allardyce, Bruce, Holloway are all more experienced. I can understand an argument of switching to someone like that, but whenever a name like that , e.g. Redknapp, is mentioned, the general opinion is one of dismay. Would you even get 50% in support of one of Allardyce, Bruce, Holloway taking us over now? I doubt it, the favoured names seem to be Oscar, Di Matteo, both fairly inexperienced managers.

The other managers took over their clubs when they were further down the line of progression than us, Cardiff had been in the play-offs 2 or 3 years in a row. It was inevitable in the end. Adkins is the most obvious comparison to Poyet. But Saints managed to hang on to Lambert and Lallana when we couldn't keep Bennett and Murray. Other way around, maybe it would have been us that went straight through the Champ.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new manager did well next year, but it will take an amazing season to make me not think that Poyet would have done better.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
nobody knows.jpg

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
under Poyet we've gone from 13th L1 to 1st L1 to 10th Championship to 4th Championship. Why we should be willing for this rise to stop, to embrace that change is confusing to me. Its a shame that this will probably happen because of a personality clash at the top of the club. I doubt Gus is blameless in that, but still...

The managers you list, Allardyce, Bruce, Holloway are all more experienced. I can understand an argument of switching to someone like that, but whenever a name like that , e.g. Redknapp, is mentioned, the general opinion is one of dismay. Would you even get 50% in support of one of Allardyce, Bruce, Holloway taking us over now? I doubt it, the favoured names seem to be Oscar, Di Matteo, both fairly inexperienced managers.

The other managers took over their clubs when they were further down the line of progression than us, Cardiff had been in the play-offs 2 or 3 years in a row. It was inevitable in the end. Adkins is the most obvious comparison to Poyet. But Saints managed to hang on to Lambert and Lallana when we couldn't keep Bennett and Murray. Other way around, maybe it would have been us that went straight through the Champ.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new manager did well next year, but it will take an amazing season to make me not think that Poyet would have done better.

I think we need to resign ourselves to next year being a season of transition to a different style. Would Poyet get us up next year? who knows..... This year was a good opportunity, had we had Ulloa...., if Kuszcz hadn't dropped a dolly at Birmingham, if Casper hadn't messed up at Forest, if Ashley/CMS had scored a penalties all very hypothetical.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

And I suspect there are many like you. In as much as whatever we go onto achieve in the future, people will always say Poyet would have done that or better. Forgetting the fact that it was all there for him to do it this season, christ on a bike just look at the amount of players he signed and still he wanted more. Maybe Poyet could have delivered promotion next season, but at what cost??? I will judge the new man on what he spends, the players he signs and the style of football we play. Poyet couldn't deliver promotion with a team half full of international players, where as Holloway did it with a team of misfits and rejects that other managers didn't deem good enough. There's more to management than just throwing money at it, if you throw enough shit some of it is bound to stick.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The tone of your comments seem to imply that it was Poyet alone that got us promoted, nothing to do with the rising status of the club in view of the impending move to the Amex.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And I suspect there are many like you. In as much as whatever we go onto achieve in the future, people will always say Poyet would have done that or better. Forgetting the fact that it was all there for him to do it this season, christ on a bike just look at the amount of players he signed and still he wanted more. Maybe Poyet could have delivered promotion next season, but at what cost??? I will judge the new man on what he spends, the players he signs and the style of football we play. Poyet couldn't deliver promotion with a team half full of international players, where as Holloway did it with a team of misfits and rejects that other managers didn't deem good enough. There's more to management than just throwing money at it, if you throw enough shit some of it is bound to stick.

Talk about ignoring the facts. Firstly, don't assume we are all like you. Just because you insist on saying any random bloke off the street could have achieved what Poyet did does not mean everyone looking at the situation rationally and saying Gus did a good job is going to moan about his successor and say Poyet would have done better. I would say most people who support Gus do so because they appreciate his achievements as manager and will do so for his successor unlike the serial moaners like you.

As for Holloway, before you go on about how great he is, remember that Freedman had his team of misfits top of the league and they included a player who has gone to Manchester United for an initial £10 million.

Sadly, I accept that Gus probably has to go now but that shouldn't diminish what he achieved. As for his successor, I have relatively low hopes for this season from whoever it is as this pre season has been terrible so far. I will support whoever it is and give them a chance. Judging by history, probably a lot more of a chance than you do.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we need to resign ourselves to next year being a season of transition to a different style. Would Poyet get us up next year? who knows..... This year was a good opportunity, had we had Ulloa...., if Kuszcz hadn't dropped a dolly at Birmingham, if Casper hadn't messed up at Forest, if Ashley/CMS had scored a penalties all very hypothetical.

My favorite hypothetical is that if we had won 1-0 at Hull on the opening day instead of losing 1-0, we would now be in the Premier League.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The tone of your comments seem to imply that it was Poyet alone that got us promoted, nothing to do with the rising status of the club in view of the impending move to the Amex.

It was Poyet. He took a team assembled by Wilkins, Adams and Slade that had almost been relegated to the bottom division, added a Scottish centreback from Swindon, couple of journeymen full-backs, a raw 19-yr old striker from Plymouth, a released Chelsea youth midfielder on a free transfer; then completely changed the style of play into the most beautiful thing seen at Withdean since Sally Gunnell last trained there, and won the league at a canter with games to spare.

Then we moved to the Amex. The new stadium, increased attendances and bigger budget helped get us to parity in this division, the likes of which Coppell and McGhee can only have dreamed of. But Poyet took us up and beyond teams with bigger stadiums and bigger budgets, with their own multi-millionaire owners and parachute payments and decades of playing in the top two divisions, all spending to get into the top flight. Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Middlesbrough, bigger stadiums, spending more, put in the rear-view mirror by Poyet and his brand of football. If I was him I'd have a big-head too.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I never understand this 'Gus had all these players and he still couldn't do it' argument. He signed those players, he persuaded players of that calibre to come to us, it was down to him that he built such a good side, with less money than a good few other clubs in the division. How can that somehow be used a negative against him? It doesn't make sense. He had these international players because he managed to get them in, which is all part of the job he was doing for us!

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Good post. Look at Manchester City, throwing hundreds of millions on players and what have they won? It's not about spunking money up the wall but having a good manager who can get the players at his despoil that can work for one another. Look at Palace for example, a squad assembled for peanuts but played as a team and gelled and that goes to show you don't have to spunk money like Gus wanted to.

Look at David moyes at Everton, never bought big as he couldn't afford it but made sure that Everton were always fighting for the Champions league, great manager working on peanuts.

Gus can only work with a massive budget but who couldn't. Gus got lucky with us. Any manager could of got us into the play offs with the Budget Gus had.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Di Matteo inexperienced? Sorry did you just say Di Matteo? A manager that has not only won the Championship but also the Champions League? I think my sides have just split

does that mean you'll be less vocal on here then? I was comparing to Bruce, Allardyce, Holloway, Redknapp, if you re-read the post, against whom he has far less experience. And he hasn't won the championship, if you're going to be bolshy.

I'd more than happy if he was our next manager, for the record

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We have absolutely no idea who the next manager will be.
This must be the best kept secret since...............the last best kept secret.
We all bandy names about but no one has a clue.
This is better than a Christie novel, 'Who is it' rather than 'Who done it'.
I don't give a toss about Poyet now, I just have to know who's coming!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never understand this 'Gus had all these players and he still couldn't do it' argument. He signed those players, he persuaded players of that calibre to come to us, it was down to him that he built such a good side, with less money than a good few other clubs in the division. How can that somehow be used a negative against him? It doesn't make sense. He had these international players because he managed to get them in, which is all part of the job he was doing for us!

There's also a sense of arrogance about it. We frequently criticise Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday fans, and others for their "we're a big club" attitude, their "we should walk this division" attitudes, and yet here on display are our own fans with similar self importance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports