Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I do believe that this has massively damaged our chances next season though.

I'd say there is a real danger that all the momentum we've built up over the last few years is going to grind to a halt, I just hope that if/when a new manager comes in that he's got a strong enough character to re-focus the players minds on making a push for another top six finish.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. If it is then the club has got itself into a pretty bad place - an assistant that they've pissed off but had to re-instate and a manager that can hold the club to ransom.

Not sure about this WS - think the move to re instate Taricco plays to Blooms poker skills - he knows Gus and Taricco are a team, forces Gus to make a decision - plus if Taricco doesn't turn up post break he's off with no compo.

Conjecture - my guess O.G with Vicente as player asst or coach. Charlie given a warning, re instated as a coach until new team decide on new team - may keep him as their attack dog but on a shorter chain. How did Charlie get on with Vicente?

Wouldn't be surprised if decision on Gus and manager announced at same time towards end of next week.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Not sure I agree with the bit about 'Gus holding better cards than TB'. Yes in the short term he can prevaricate over what sort of deal he might accept from The Club but looking at the big picture he has rather painted himself into a corner.

1. He loses a high profile job at BHA, a club that has progressed under his helm and is widely regarded as ready for the Prem, with a lot of positive media attention. How many managers would bite their arm off for a chance at a cub with so much going for it?
2. He will lose a well remunerated job and on top of that may have to settle for substantially less compensation, if any.
3. His timing now looks questionable with so many other managerial vacancies now filled and finally as you suggest his stock among prospective employers will have been damaged. He may not walk into the calibre of job that he might have hoped a month or two ago.
4. His CV will always show that he blinked when on the brink of taking the Albion into the Prem. Why would you allow so much good work to be unravelled so easily?
5. This already compounds his naivety in the media over the Suarez stuff and tendency to make questionable comments about his own circumstances.
6. This was his first managerial appointment and in spite of his relative success on the pitch has created more questions off the pitch than is healthy. However I guess many Clubs will put up with that.

Having said that I'm sure he will pick up another role soon however I agree it may not be at a blue chip club. It will be embarrassing and ironic if he has to lower his sights and join a club with less going for it than the Albion, in which case his judgement could be questioned further.

Again, I think you have summed up the situation very well. I think as Albion fans many overestimate Poyet as a manager because of where he has taken us from, and are blinkered as to how much of the football world outside planet BHA may now regard him, i.e. risky and damaged stock. He undoubtedly has his fans in the game, but many must wonder how he failed to get us to the final with the squad at his disposal, and why he feels the need to air so much dirty laundry in public so regularly, or get mixed up in issues that have nothing to do with him that end up potentially reflecting badly on his employer.

None of the above decries what he has achieved for us, but a bit of perspective is required when blindly defending his actions and criticising Bloom and Barber. I'd certainly rather be in Bloom's shoes right now than Poyet's.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes but I might view as reasonable might be at odds with what my boss thinks and then if things are allowed to spiral out of control without one side backing down you can get into a bit of a pickle with no real winners

The phrase "reasonable request" blighted the closing year of a previous job of mine. EVERYTHING fell under that bracket - it got seriously silly and almost led to a union walkout (which I opposed strongly, despite the liberties being taken).

The question really is, how much are you prepared to take on? Some people will naturally want to be involved, others will want to distance themselves from additional work. And then there are those who will argue for the benefit of having an argument.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Am I the only one enjoying all this DRAMA? Football is panto anyway, more so now that frankly ridiculous amounts of money are involved in buying players, wages, TICKETS. I don't think it's damaging to the club, I'll still be a fan and come to watch the team (frankly don't care what the outside world thinks), it'll soon blow over, managers, players, clubs fortunes they all go up and down, that's football. Monday will be interesting on here....can't wait!

Post of the day :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I get that, for 45mins though ? it just seems he could also have done B) after the match as he is not going to change the refs mind after the decision had been made and if he was going to contest the decision this done at a later date, no point getting upset over it and storming up the tunnel.

As for A) control yourself how much are you on a month and your supposed to be a professional setting an example not storming off because things are not going your way....

See a pattern emerging here and precursor of things that followed.

Since when do managers think like this? Alex ferguson came out after half time and made a big show of berating the ref in a match last season. He was never going to change the ref's mind, and is on far more than poyet, I'd wager, why didn't he control himself? Managers, like players and fans can get overly emotional, allowing their desire to win to overpower rational thought.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'd say there is a real danger that all the momentum we've built up over the last few years is going to grind to a halt, I just hope that if/when a new manager comes in that he's got a strong enough character to re-focus the players minds on making a push for another top six finish.

I'm anxious that this business will inevitably affect continuity and damage our momentum. But I'm also mindful that a new managerial team could actually inject fresh energy into Club and squad. OK it may take time to settle down especially if there are few new players to bed in but if we are in the top half or better still top third at Xmas then why shouldn't we push on to the play-offs or better? Look at the late run we put together that took us from 10th to a solid 4th in April/May plus Bolton came from even further behind. OK we were helped by rivals shedding points but I'm optimistic.

Plus it would be satisfying to show we can do ok in the post-Gus era.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what a clusterfuk..........absolute bollox.........go on Gus , you did say that if you weren't appreciated you would "go home , play golf" of ya go then son....:bigwave:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he does then he's an idiot who understands nothing about employment contracts and etiquette. This I doubt. Suspensions are enforced to protect both parties whilst an investigation is undertaken. Stop with the emotive rubbish please.

It's not emotive rubbish. It is human nature when you are innocent that you don't tend to sit back all relaxed when you are suspended and instructed not to communicate with anyone while the people who employed you investigate to see if you are, as you know you are and have explained, innocent. How many people like to have their word questioned, and their lives examined when they know they've done nothing wrong and there should be no reason to suspect otherwise. It shows a lack of trust and a lack of faith.

Even if you can accept it is process, it is still likely to cause stress. Why did someone make a false accusation? Is this a conspiracy against me that will create dirt if there is none? Why is it taking so long to realise I'm telling the truth? What are all the people they're investigating saying - did I upset someone enough for the to lie about me, are they ambitious enough to throw me under a bus?

The idea that someone being upset with being suspended when they know they are not guilty is not emotive rubbish, it is simply human nature.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Am I the only one enjoying all this DRAMA? Football is panto anyway, more so now that frankly ridiculous amounts of money are involved in buying players, wages, TICKETS. I don't think it's damaging to the club, I'll still be a fan and come to watch the team (frankly don't care what the outside world thinks), it'll soon blow over, managers, players, clubs fortunes they all go up and down, that's football. Monday will be interesting on here....can't wait!

Post of the day :thumbsup:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's not emotive rubbish. It is human nature when you are innocent that you don't tend to sit back all relaxed when you are suspended and instructed not to communicate with anyone while the people who employed you investigate to see if you are, as you know you are and have explained, innocent. How many people like to have their word questioned, and their lives examined when they know they've done nothing wrong and there should be no reason to suspect otherwise. It shows a lack of trust and a lack of faith.

Even if you can accept it is process, it is still likely to cause stress. Why did someone make a false accusation? Is this a conspiracy against me that will create dirt if there is none? Why is it taking so long to realise I'm telling the truth? What are all the people they're investigating saying - did I upset someone enough for the to lie about me, are they ambitious enough to throw me under a bus?

The idea that someone being upset with being suspended when they know they are not guilty is not emotive rubbish, it is simply human nature.

All of the above would be relevant if you honestly think Gus is sitting there actually thinking "I've done nothing to bring this about". Egocentric he may be, but deluded I doubt. So yes, it is emotive rubbish in this case.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But nobody actually KNOWS whether Poyet actually wants to stay or leave. Equally nobody knows if the club want him to stay or get rid - although given that it suspended him it would appear more that they would not be devasted if he left one way or another.
Everything else is pure speculation.

For what it is worth, I would prefer him to stay unless and until there is anyone better. There remains the risk of a Hinchlewood type fiasco being repeated.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All of the above would be relevant if you honestly think Gus is sitting there actually thinking "I've done nothing to bring this about". Egocentric he may be, but deluded I doubt. So yes, it is emotive rubbish in this case.

I have no idea what gus is accused of doing, so have no idea if he is innocent or if he believes he is or not. I find it entirely believable that even if he doesn't think he is completely innocent, that he might think what he did wasn't bad enough for all this nonsense.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have no idea what gus is accused of doing, so have no idea if he is innocent or if he believes he is or not. I find it entirely believable that even if he doesn't think he is completely innocent, that he might think what he did wasn't bad enough for all this nonsense.

So you don't think saying something like "being suspended is reason enough to want to ***k the club up" is emotive rubbish?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I am very optimistic now... Situation should be sorted Monday, get new boss in and things start moving forwards.. We already have basis of decent squad, next thing is to plug gaps, tinker with playing style, reignite fans enthusiasm with some top players and all happy again... Lots can change in a week....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So you don't think saying something like "being suspended is reason enough to want to ***k the club up" is emotive rubbish?

Based on what (little) we actually know about the situation, no. It's as legitimate a comment as most other things being posted based on so little.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Based on what (little) I actually know about the situation, no.

Well in that case I'll add you to the list of "people I'm glad I don't employ" with US. Poyet is a professional. He'll understand that suspensions when allegations of breaches or contract, or any other terms of employment, are made that often all parties involved are suspended whilst an investigation takes place in order to protect all parties. He's hardly going to be thinking "aw, this isn't fair so I'm gonna **** the club up as much as possible". He'll do what he's done - keep schtum, go on holiday and let his lawyers do what they're paid for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports