Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough I wasn't paying attention to the bench, I actually rather enjoyed the game

The point is no one knows he may have had a family crisis to attend to for all we know but people will now assume the worst. The thing is for 99% of the time here he was a hero and now he is the devil.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Lots of people seem to be linking the offer with gus being innocent of all charges and a board error. Gus is still suspended and still has a hearing to attend. Once this is done we will know the rights and wrongs, not before.

In my work place we will take a view with regards to payoffs. Yes we will often have grounds to dismiss but the cost of time and money and damage to the brand is more expensive in the long run to a reduced and accepted offer. Both parties can then move on. Clearly here if the hearing looks like delaying pre season then that is brand damaging and a quick payout one way or the other would be better. The offer is without prejudice and should be viewed as such.

All this sack the person responsible for the suspension. Employment law is complex. Mosg companies will only let hr professionals make the decision, guess the same at the club

At last someone with common sense.

Aug 23, 2011
All I have to go on is what was reported, that Tony Bloom dealt with the retained list as Poyet refused to do so.
For all the slagging off that Andy Naylor and co get on here, mis-reporting of that magnitude would see him banned from the Amex and looking for another job, I would imagine!

True, but these things are rarely black and white

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
er, what is the point of the thread title then ?!

It does not mention a pay-off. Nor does the Argus article - it doesn't give details of the financial offer or in whose favour it was made:

"The Argus understands The Uruguayan has already rejected one financial offer to settle the dispute and sever his ties with the club during an exhaustive four-week investigation into his conduct."

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
it has been pointed out several times in this thread that the offer could have been for Gus to buy out his contract for a certain sum or any number of other scenarios

True. We don't know. I do believe that this has massively damaged our chances next season though.

Aug 23, 2011
We don't know. But we are reliably informed that there are 8 charges of breach of contract against him.

A breach of contract doesn't necessarily mean much. In my contract I'm not allowed to use web based email at work yet people do, it's not exactly a major breach but it is a breach. Additionally my contract has my job description with the wonderful line " and any other duties that can be reasonably expected of you" basically covering themselves to ask me to do anything. If I was asked to clean the toilets (I'm not a cleaner) then I might think that was outside my job remit and refuse and am I then breaching?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Whilst Gus may be accused of breaching his contract his lawyers may well be arguing that the club breached his contract long before that. Just saying.

So who's fault would that be in this hyperthetical situation. And therefore who would have to make the payment to resolve the situation.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes. A) he was getting too worked up and in danger of being sent off. B) he wanted to study the decisions on the telly inside, before remonstrating with the ref.

Aint rocket science.

I get that, for 45mins though ? it just seems he could also have done B) after the match as he is not going to change the refs mind after the decision had been made and if he was going to contest the decision this done at a later date, no point getting upset over it and storming up the tunnel.

As for A) control yourself how much are you on a month and your supposed to be a professional setting an example not storming off because things are not going your way....

See a pattern emerging here and precursor of things that followed.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
A breach of contract doesn't necessarily mean much. In my contract I'm not allowed to use web based email at work yet people do, it's not exactly a major breach but it is a breach. Additionally my contract has my job description with the wonderful line " and any other duties that can be reasonably expected of you" basically covering themselves to ask me to do anything. If I was asked to clean the toilets (I'm not a cleaner) then I might think that was outside my job remit and refuse and am I then breaching?

key word is reasonably there. if you are a brain surgeon being asked to clean the toilets would not be reasonable. if however you had some job related to cleaning or maintenance but toilets wasnt part of your specified job description then one could argue that cleaning the toilets might be reasonable. extreme example obviously.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
On the assumption that the club either are now convinced they don't have a case for dismissal of Gus without paying up his contract, or think they do but are unwilling to do so because of the inevitable court case that would follow, then I think there is realistically only one likely outcome.

Gus' contract cancelled by mutual consent. No payment for loss of office for Gus, no compensation for the club. Both parties move on.

Both parties will lose if this is not sorted quickly but the club will lose more. Yes Gus's future employment potential might be damaged but how many football club Chairman are likely to say we don't want Gus because there may be an issue with him. They will look at what he has achieved with us, OK they might ask him some searching questions, but I'm sure he won't have much problem finding another job. Maybe not at the level he was maybe hoping for, but if he's successful again then he will soon reach that level.

I think Gus holds better cards than TB, and if that's true TB will know that. And if one person knows when to fold a losing hand it's TB.

I strongly suspect this will all be sorted on Monday, but it may well take a few more days for the outcome to be made public. And then it will be without any details.

But quite where all this leaves Charlie I have no idea. It sounds like he may be a separate kettle of fish.

Not sure I agree with the bit about 'Gus holding better cards than TB'. Yes in the short term he can prevaricate over what sort of deal he might accept from The Club but looking at the big picture he has rather painted himself into a corner.

1. He loses a high profile job at BHA, a club that has progressed under his helm and is widely regarded as ready for the Prem, with a lot of positive media attention. How many managers would bite their arm off for a chance at a cub with so much going for it?
2. He will lose a well remunerated job and on top of that may have to settle for substantially less compensation, if any.
3. His timing now looks questionable with so many other managerial vacancies now filled and finally as you suggest his stock among prospective employers will have been damaged. He may not walk into the calibre of job that he might have hoped a month or two ago.
4. His CV will always show that he blinked when on the brink of taking the Albion into the Prem. Why would you allow so much good work to be unravelled so easily?
5. This already compounds his naivety in the media over the Suarez stuff and tendency to make questionable comments about his own circumstances.
6. This was his first managerial appointment and in spite of his relative success on the pitch has created more questions off the pitch than is healthy. However I guess many Clubs will put up with that.

Having said that I'm sure he will pick up another role soon however I agree it may not be at a blue chip club. It will be embarrassing and ironic if he has to lower his sights and join a club with less going for it than the Albion, in which case his judgement could be questioned further.

Aug 23, 2011
key word is reasonably there. if you are a brain surgeon being asked to clean the toilets would not be reasonable. if however you had some job related to cleaning or maintenance but toilets wasnt part of your specified job description then one could argue that cleaning the toilets might be reasonable. extreme example obviously.

Yes but I might view as reasonable might be at odds with what my boss thinks and then if things are allowed to spiral out of control without one side backing down you can get into a bit of a pickle with no real winners

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Anyone who thinks Bloom has gone into this without the cards being stacked in his favour, I think is fooling themselves. Gus was offered a pay off, he rejected it. I don't think you get to Tony Blooms status in life by bending over and taking it up the arse from the likes of Poyet...I'm still backing Bloom to have the upper hand, Gus had his chance I think he should have taken it. We will see.

This. A compromise means both parties walk away without the dirty washing being aired in public. Gus may have a "Full House" , what he doesn't know is that Tony is holding a "Royal Flush"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon the club feel they have a cast iron case of breach of contract but Gus and his legal team disagree. He faces the prospect of no work for several months, his house is on the market, one of his team has been cleared but himself has no prospect of working for the Albion and will need another job too.

The club could sack him and still to their guns that he will lose any court case. At least the club know they can proceed with a new manager but it could be very costly and I don't think the club can afford to take that risk.

Gus also won't know when a suitable job will come up for him and Tanno. He'll be OK long-term but the lack of suitors over the last month must have knocked his confidence a tad.

The sensible solution would be a modest pay-off to Gus, equivalent of 6 months wages, together with a confidentiality agreement over the whole affair. What worries me is that might well have been the sort of offer Gus has just rejected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here