Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Anyone else reckon he would have quit without hesitation if a mutual parting had been offered immediately after the play off game ? His recent statements about his future and links to other clubs sounded like he believed top tier job offers would be a formality. I do wonder how his ego has taken the recently available jobs passing him by.

In my opinion, his role is simply untenable now. Hopefully a compromise agreement can be reached.

I think both sides need a compromise now, Gus should realise that this is not doing his cv any good, especially with no offers coming in. I feel there is something deep rooted in all of this and cannot decide where the responsibility lies.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
For those of you thinking that the club are trying to reach a compromise whereby they pay Gus a reduced fee to leave, remember that Gus refused to deal with the retained list, I would imagine that is breach of contract right there!

Therefore I would suggest that the club have offered Gus the chance to buy out the remainder of his contract at a reduced fee and leave with his reputation intact.

Gus has refused this, which doesn't mean the gloves are off.... yet, as others have said, never accept the first offer. He will get another offer on Monday, in my opinion, and if that is refused he will be dismissed from his duties and the club will seek compensation through the courts.

That's how I see it anyway.

Aug 23, 2011
I think both sides need a compromise now, Gus should realise that this is not doing his cv any good, especially with no offers coming in. I feel there is something deep rooted in all of this and cannot decide where the responsibility lies.

As ever with these things, neither side will be innocent, however how much to blame either party has is not possible to fathom without any info.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There will almost certainly be an agreement in any settlement which prevents actual details of all this being made public.

I agree. Both sides have done a good job in (rightly) keeping a lid on the investigation so far. Better to take comfort that a line is being drawn under the matter and we move on.

Because we will never know the full details it will inevitably leave a bitter taste at what appears to be the end of Gus's reign. A pity his glorious era at The Albion looks like ending this way. Shows what a fine line there is between success and relative failure. Remarkable that a cock up of these proportions can be made in spite of all the great things happening on and off the pitch. A month ago we looked to be on the brink of a huge step forward. Clearly there were tensions behind the scenes and overnight the wheels came off.

No doubt there will be mutually acceptable media statements but I do wonder if Gus will be able to resist not wanting the last word at some point.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gus has got to be careful, a major tussle won't just damage the Albion, it will damage his career prospects too. All rather disappointing really Gus did a lot but risks ruining his legacy..

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
For those of you thinking that the club are trying to reach a compromise whereby they pay Gus a reduced fee to leave, remember that Gus refused to deal with the retained list, I would imagine that is breach of contract right there!

Therefore I would suggest that the club have offered Gus the chance to buy out the remainder of his contract at a reduced fee and leave with his reputation intact.

Gus has refused this, which doesn't mean the gloves are off.... yet, as others have said, never accept the first offer. He will get another offer on Monday, in my opinion, and if that is refused he will be dismissed from his duties and the club will seek compensation through the courts.

With absolutely no knowledge, that's my take too!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Gus Poyet appreciation thread
I have noticed an ever increasing resentment of Gus building up on NSC over the last few weeks.

I will admit that in the past I have questioned his tactical nous and ability to change to Plan B during a match if things are not going to plan

Yes he has made the odd mistake in the transfer Market, but then again what manager hasn't?

He has also made some incredible signings in Buckley, Bruno, Bridge, Bridcutt and Kuczczak.

Now more than ever is the time to get behind Gus and the boys. On the fringes of the play offs and with the promise of further marquee signings in January, this is one of the most successful periods in the clubs history.

However, one thing you can never doubt is Poyet's commitment to our football club, and his ambition to reach the Premier League

So let's universally get behind the manager and the players, and give it our best shot to reach the promised land.

Have you forgotten his absence during the game with Burnley during the previous season. We had two men sent off so Gus went absent, i'm afraid this exposed his character.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why should Poyet go quietly ? The club suspended him. This in itself would be good reason for Poyet to f*ck the club up as much as he can. Tanno " coming back " , it is 100% he will not be back on Monday or any other day after that. What is Gus susposed to have done except an ill judged post match speech ? What is it exactly that he has done that is so bad the club felt their hand was so strong they could suspend him and the team ? This has been badly handled imo. Who will be taking training in 9 days time, who will pick the team in 3 weeks time ? This could drag on as Poyet is playing the game and to me it seems he holds the strongest deck at the moment. "

Barber/BHAFC club disclaimer.

" This is my opinion only and I may or may not be right "

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm assuming the "offer"is some form of compromise deal, which presumably binds both parties with certain obligations - those on Poyet's side could well be - no financial compensation; confidentiality agreement; no poaching of any current Albion players if he gets a new job, etc. Just a guess, by the way. In these sort of situations, no matter what the rights and wrongs on either side, it's always best to enter into a compromise agreement. I would imagine it will, in any case, be time-limited, so Gus may not have long to decide/negotiate, before the club could decide to dispense with the niceties and just sack him. Again, just guesses. Who knows - he may have done nothing wrong......

I assume this is what often happens behind the scenes, resulting in bland announcements that "xxxx has left by mutual consent". As you say, it's all guesswork at the moment, so people might as well wait until Monday. Some of the "knowledge" on here is laughable.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am sure the fact Poyet was suspended he will see that as a huge insult to his reputation so unless there is something 100% surefire the club can hang their hat on with regard to employment law Gus knows he may have us by the nuts.

Barber disclaimer.
" This is my opinion and may or may not be right "

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry to piss on anyones chips but this is football, prospective employers won't give two shits about Gus's fall out. They will want to know what he can do for them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Yes I could see that as an option the Club have in their back pocket if their initial offer is declined. Make a reasonable offer that shows the employer acting reasonably in the circumstances (moral high ground and all that) then play hardball if necessary. If Gus's lawyers are too intransigent he could end up with serious egg on his face.

You would think that Gus would want to emerge from this with his reputation from his first role as a footie manager as intact as possible. Prospective employers will be watching closely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here