Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
My take on the Argus report and based on the stuff that Gus has said publicly over the last few months (factual) is that following the investigation the matters are not considered serious enough to warrant Gus's dismissal but the Club is uncomfortable about reinstating him. There were enough questions about Gus's commitment to The Albion to a) warrant a formal investigation b) there are still enough questions to doubt the fundamental relationships at the core of the contract of employment and then c) BHA now either dismiss Gus with potential for paying him full compensation or d) negotiate a mutual parting of the ways. The latter seems to be where we are now.

I could imagine a scenario where Gus is/was formally asked 'based on your comments in the media you clearly no longer believe in the Chairman's 5 year plan and available budget, you express interest in managing other Clubs and do not deny reports linking you with other Clubs. You are happy to brief the media in a way that is not supportive of BHA or how we expect our manager to conduct himself. In view of that would you like to be released from your contract?'

So it now becomes a binfest for the lawyers until Gus agrees how ever many pieces of silver will be enough for him to walk. I think both parties will be disappointed that other Clubs aren't queuing up to sign Gus which might have speeded up his departure, eased by compensation from a third party. So you can imagine Gus's lawyers now holding out for every penny they can get.

This will appear messy until someone flinches. We could well be in the 'gardening leave' scenario if a swift agreement cannot be reached. No doubt Gus will be banking on BHA wanting this to be resolved so the Club can move on asap. BHA will be mindful that Gus has no obvious offers. Equally it is awkward for The Club to appoint a new manager while Gus is still on the books. Gus will know that.

I still think the Club had no choice but to stand up to Gus. The outcome suggests that even if reinstated it would not be trusted as a constructive working relationship. OK some will say we should have done the easy thing and just sacked the manager (like other Club Chairmen have done) but we would be facing a huge compensation bill. We may well end up paying him off but at least it could on lesser terms. Every penny we save for the next manager's transfer budget is crucial to our future.

However at the back of my mind I do wonder if the Club had given Gus the £2m to spend on transfers instead of what they may well pay him in compo then we could all now be focusing on the footie. But then I don't think Tony Bloom would be blackmailed so easily.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If Gus really had breached his contract - this would have ended some time ago.

The club has clearly let professional procedures surrounding Gus' SUSPECTED breach of contract let get in the way of common sense, in the process destroying the fantastic chairman/manager relationship between TB and the best manager in the history of the club. It should have only been a meeting behind closed doors and none of this should have happened.

Gus is totally within his rights to reject a resignation if he has been treated unfairly.

Whoever is responsible for suspending the management team needs to be SACKED. Is it too late for TB to make peace with Gus and the management team?

So you know EVERYTHING that is happening do you? Maybe you'd like to tell Tony Bloom he's fired in an Alan Sugar stylee?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
My take on the Argus report and based on the stuff that Gus has said publicly over the last few months (factual) is that following the investigation the matters are not considered serious enough to warrant Gus's dismissal but the Club is uncomfortable about reinstating him. There were enough questions about Gus's commitment to The Albion to a) warrant a formal investigation b) there are still enough questions to doubt the fundamental relationships at the core of the contract of employment and then c) BHA now either dismiss Gus with potential for paying him full compensation or d) negotiate a mutual parting of the ways. The latter seems to be where we are now.

I could imagine a scenario where Gus is/was formally asked 'based on your comments in the media you clearly no longer believe in the Chairman's 5 year plan and available budget, you express interest in managing other Clubs and do not deny reports linking you with other Clubs. You are happy to brief the media in a way that is not supportive of BHA or how we expect our manager to conduct himself. In view of that would you like to be released from your contract?'

So it now becomes a binfest for the lawyers until Gus agrees how ever many pieces of silver will be enough for him to walk. I think both parties will be disappointed that other Clubs aren't queuing up to sign Gus which might have speeded up his departure, eased by compensation from a third party. So you can imagine Gus's lawyers now holding out for every penny they can get.

This will appear messy until someone flinches. We could well be in the 'gardening leave' scenario if a swift agreement cannot be reached. No doubt Gus will be banking on BHA wanting this to be resolved so the Club can move on asap. BHA will be mindful that Gus has no obvious offers. Equally it is awkward for The Club to appoint a new manager while Gus is still on the books. Gus will know that.

I still think the Club had no choice but to stand up to Gus. The outcome suggests that even if reinstated it would not be trusted as a constructive working relationship. OK some will say we should have done the easy thing and just sacked the manager (like other Club Chairmen have done) but we would be facing a huge compensation bill. We may well end up paying him off but at least it could on lesser terms. Every penny we save for the next manager's transfer budget is crucial to our future.

However at the back of my mind I do wonder if the Club had given Gus the £2m to spend on transfers instead of what they may well pay him in compo then we could all now be focusing on the footie. But then I don't think Tony Bloom would be blackmailed so easily.

Sensible and balanced post, and very plausible.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
How do we know that Poyet didn't insist on speaking to Reading, and making sure it was well publicised? Maybe that was his way of putting himself in the shop window?

Charlie was asked about this in one of the pre-match interviews and he said Gus did not speak to Reading in fact even Charlie could not reach him while Gus was away on a break
now I don't know about you but I would rather believe Charlie than any red top paper
anyway I am sure that reading would not come into Gus's radar as they would not carry enough kudos even with the parachute payments

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Charlie was asked about this in one of the pre-match interviews and he said Gus did not speak to Reading in fact even Charlie could not reach him while Gus was away on a break
now I don't know about you but I would rather believe Charlie than any red top paper
anyway I am sure that reading would not come into Gus's radar as they would not carry enough kudos even with the parachute payments

Charlie was a good player for the club, but holding him up as a reliable source of information is stretching it a bit.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Charlie was a good player for the club, but holding him up as a reliable source of information is stretching it a bit.

but I see no reason for him to lie
unless of coarse the trouble had already started
and lets put it this way ..who would you ever believe in a situation like this

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think we knew the meeting had been put back until Monday already thanks to Not Andy Naylor.

I don't see how people can be so critical of Poyet when none of us know the alleged offer mentioned in The Argus. It could have been: "If you want to pay up the rest of your contract we'll let you go."

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Am I the only one enjoying all this DRAMA? Football is panto anyway, more so now that frankly ridiculous amounts of money are involved in buying players, wages, TICKETS. I don't think it's damaging to the club, I'll still be a fan and come to watch the team (frankly don't care what the outside world thinks), it'll soon blow over, managers, players, clubs fortunes they all go up and down, that's football. Monday will be interesting on here....can't wait!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People on here make me laugh things such as monumental **** up and sticking up for poyet, we have no idea what he is supposed to have done and do you really think bloom is stupid enough to put himself in a poor position legally? Whatever poyet did i'm backing bloom all the way love people jumping on the '**** up by the club' side of things, based on what?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Gus Poyet appreciation thread
I have noticed an ever increasing resentment of Gus building up on NSC over the last few weeks.

I will admit that in the past I have questioned his tactical nous and ability to change to Plan B during a match if things are not going to plan

Yes he has made the odd mistake in the transfer Market, but then again what manager hasn't?

He has also made some incredible signings in Buckley, Bruno, Bridge, Bridcutt and Kuczczak.

Now more than ever is the time to get behind Gus and the boys. On the fringes of the play offs and with the promise of further marquee signings in January, this is one of the most successful periods in the clubs history.

However, one thing you can never doubt is Poyet's commitment to our football club, and his ambition to reach the Premier League

So let's universally get behind the manager and the players, and give it our best shot to reach the promised land.

very touching sentiment, but you forgot to say at he end...'whoever that manager might be ' .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports