Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well, that could be something inside the club. Or something outside it - like interest from another club or the feeling that he needed to jump ship to keep Project Poyet on track. We don't know.

What I do know is that his public pronouncements from the Reading approach onwards were not typical of a manager pursuing promotion or with any intention of staying at that club beyond the next decent job offer.

I think if I were a manager on the cusp of the play-offs and the team playing well I would be seriously pissed of if the club said I could speak to another club .
would have been very pleased if the club contacted me to say another club had showed interest but we told them to go away as we are going to hold on to the manager that got us this far and we are very happy with him
just my opinion

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
And the offer is just what "the argus understands" so might not be fact, either, or an entirely accurate one.

"The Argus understands" is journalistic code for "someone high up in the club has told us". This is the club getti g their retaliation in first. Setting up the fact that Poyet will be gone on Monday.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm assuming the "offer"is some form of compromise deal, which presumably binds both parties with certain obligations - those on Poyet's side could well be - no financial compensation; confidentiality agreement; no poaching of any current Albion players if he gets a new job, etc. Just a guess, by the way. In these sort of situations, no matter what the rights and wrongs on either side, it's always best to enter into a compromise agreement. I would imagine it will, in any case, be time-limited, so Gus may not have long to decide/negotiate, before the club could decide to dispense with the niceties and just sack him. Again, just guesses. Who knows - he may have done nothing wrong......

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This. I personally am absolutely furious with the board, or any individual that is responsible for suspending the management team in the first place.

I can't decide who's more ridiculous, you or kevtherev. I think I'll call it a tie.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
To those supporting GP over this, nobody has really explained why the club would want to get rid of their most successful manager for ages. We have him on a long term contract so that's worth money to us if he gets poached by another club so why try to engineer his dismissal? We know GP has always been ambitious so nothing changed there and his time in charge has been good for him and the club, so why would we want him out? It doesn't seem to make sense so I can only conclude that this situation is more of GPs making than the clubs.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
why does every asume offer was to payout to Gus. TB could have offerred Gus the chance to cancel contract if gus pays 1 million for example.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Lots of people seem to be linking the offer with gus being innocent of all charges and a board error. Gus is still suspended and still has a hearing to attend. Once this is done we will know the rights and wrongs, not before.

In my work place we will take a view with regards to payoffs. Yes we will often have grounds to dismiss but the cost of time and money and damage to the brand is more expensive in the long run to a reduced and accepted offer. Both parties can then move on. Clearly here if the hearing looks like delaying pre season then that is brand damaging and a quick payout one way or the other would be better. The offer is without prejudice and should be viewed as such.

All this sack the person responsible for the suspension. Employment law is complex. Mosg companies will only let hr professionals make the decision, guess the same at the club

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"The Argus understands" is journalistic code for "someone high up in the club has told us". This is the club getti g their retaliation in first. Setting up the fact that Poyet will be gone on Monday.

But in this situation, with so many people claiming to be in the know with inscrutable, highly placed sources that seem to contradict each other, would suggest it is still something that might not be entirely factual.

Gus Poyet appreciation thread
I have noticed an ever increasing resentment of Gus building up on NSC over the last few weeks.

I will admit that in the past I have questioned his tactical nous and ability to change to Plan B during a match if things are not going to plan

Yes he has made the odd mistake in the transfer Market, but then again what manager hasn't?

He has also made some incredible signings in Buckley, Bruno, Bridge, Bridcutt and Kuczczak.

Now more than ever is the time to get behind Gus and the boys. On the fringes of the play offs and with the promise of further marquee signings in January, this is one of the most successful periods in the clubs history.

However, one thing you can never doubt is Poyet's commitment to our football club, and his ambition to reach the Premier League

So let's universally get behind the manager and the players, and give it our best shot to reach the promised land.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. If it is then the club has got itself into a pretty bad place - an assistant that they've pissed off but had to re-instate and a manager that can hold the club to ransom.

Who cares, I find it hard to forgive him for the post Palace interview diatribe,..... the rest is just frills, I would like him to move on now.

Again he is showing his contempt for the fans by blundering into the most crucial period of the pre season.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
My guess is that after the Palace game Poyet wanted to walk away and TB wanted him gone. But TB not only wanted Poyet to go but also wanted to maximise his chances of getting some compensation from Poyet's next employer. So rather than just letting him go after the Palace game he suspended him. Everyone then knew he was available - but as he was still an employee we could still get the compensation due in his contract.

Unfortunately both TB and Poyet grossly overestimated his appeal to other clubs. The compensation clause was irrelevent because no club that could afford to pay it would be interested in Poyet.

So TB still wants him gone, and now realises he isn't going to get a payout from another club. But Gus now realises he won't get another job if he just walks away, so he is holding TB to the existing contract.

Our best outcome now is to sack Poyet for breach of contract. Lets see what Monday brings.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think if I were a manager on the cusp of the play-offs and the team playing well I would be seriously pissed of if the club said I could speak to another club .
would have been very pleased if the club contacted me to say another club had showed interest but we told them to go away as we are going to hold on to the manager that got us this far and we are very happy with him
just my opinion

How do we know that Poyet didn't insist on speaking to Reading, and making sure it was well publicised? Maybe that was his way of putting himself in the shop window?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
why does every asume offer was to payout to Gus. TB could have offerred Gus the chance to cancel contract if gus pays 1 million for example.

exactly.

i suspect an offer was made to Gus (not necessarily financial) to sign a compromise agreement - everyone keeps whats left of their dignity and its all confidential. Gus (presumably on advice) has told them to shove it and has called TB's hand. My gut is that Gus will get sacked on monday and then the gloves will be off. Lets just hope TB's hand is a good one and he aint bluffing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here