Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
if i were the chairman, instead of paying him off in a lump sum (providing that was the offer) i'd carry on employing him and pay him his regular wage then get in another manager to share his role (houllier & evans). At least that way he can't take the money and then land a job straight away effectively giving us the middle finger.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
He may be within his rights but you're conveniently setting aside his very public want-away attitude towards the end of the season. He was agitating to create this situation where his position would become untenable. That's why people are understandably blaming Gus more than the club.

As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere between the two polarised viewpoints. I suspect an agreement will be reached where Gus still receives a handsome pay-off but not the full £2.5m or whatever amount it's now assumed to be.

But surely Gus doesn't hold all the cards? If it's going to cost a fortune to get rid of him anyway then what's to stop the club putting him on 'gardening leave' , unable to move elsewhere for 2 years. Vindictive but if it reached that stage, it'd be hard to say he didn't deserve it.

'his very public want-away attitude towards the end of the season. He was agitating to create this situation where his position would become untenable' not sure about your interpretation myself

I heard radio sussex sports journalist (cant remember his name) say that that since about March time Gus was talking to him and all the sports journalists as a group in a very different way and that his whole body language changed - this guy's view was that something had actually happened to bring about this change.

So all I am suggesting is that maybe Gus wasn't 'agitating to create this situation' maybe what we witnessed was simply his reaction to something/someone ... that's all

Feb 14, 2010
One thing we can all agree on this is all very bad for the club.

I dont think so. I think its good for the club. Poyets press conference was shall we say, interesting, bearing in mind he was talking about a club that get 30,000 at home. I think the club have acted superbly and Poyet seems to have made a huge U turn from "wanting bigger things" to "no I wont quit" should the story be true of course

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Shows what contempt Poyet holds the club and the fans in. If he had any dignity he would walk away with his payment and we could all get on with the future. But it's all about himself. It's a shoddy way to treat the club that basically put you on the map as a manager. I'm sure other clubs are looking on with great interest and Poyet is doing himself no favour's long term....Approach with caution.

As usual, you're completely speculating, you know nothing of what's actually going on, you're just using it to suit your agenda. If Poyet genuinely feels he's been wronged, why the hell would he accept an offer from the club for him to leave, when he's due a couple of million quid in compensation? If you were being forced out of your job but the one card you held was that if they sacked you they had to pay you a load of money, would you say "It's OK don't worry about it, even though I think you're treating me completely unfairly, I'll let you off the money you owe me"?

None of us really know what's going on behind the scenes, but both parties obviously feel they are in the right, so why would one party back down (and lose a load of money) which is as good as admitting that you are in the wrong? This is a total non story, of course he was going to reject that 'offer'.

What I don't understand in all this, is why the club and Poyet didn't just carry on as normal, both knowing that Poyet was going to leave, but making the right noises about him staying at the club and continuing the project? Poyet's stock would still be high, and he'd have had a much better chance at getting one of these other jobs available, the club could have got their compensation and everything would have worked out OK. Instead, both the club, and Poyet himself, have made it harder for him to move on, so know we're in this ridiculous situation where everyone is in limbo. The whole thing looks like a complete balls up from both parties, it didn't need to be like this.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All so unnecessary. Gus wanted to to leave and i think most fans agreed that it was perhaps time for a change of management for next season. So why bother with this farcical suspension nonsense. In reality, Gus has all the power - he's the one who's highly sought after.

I find it really sad to see so many negative or even aggressive comments about Gus on here now. I assume this is exactly what the club are trying to achieve.

Whatever happens now or whatever anti-Gus stories are leaked to the press, he'll still go down in history as one of the all time greatest Albion managers. I still love him and always will. We were utter turd when he took over. Under Gus we've played by far the best football i've ever seen in my 20 years plus of following the albion and provided me with some amazing and very special memories. Tony build the stadium, but Gus built the Albion on the pitch. Thanks Gus. I hope you do well at Swansea next season and i'll always treasure your time in charge.

Yep. Well put.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

Over the years I have made many settlent payments to employees which might not be stricy nustified or warranted but are intended to "oil tbe wheels" to resolve an issue expeditiously. Normal business practise and they leave with a reference they otherwise would not have.
Your last statement is the nub of it. "Never accepi the first offer" is an inviolable rule.
I would add that "dont get too greedy" is another

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Poyet has said that he becomes a fan of any team he plays for or coaches, so as an Albion fan he obviously doesn't want to leave. How much would you have to be paid to quit the Albion?

Well, as an Albion fan, I wouldn't have made it quite so clear in the first place that I'd far rather be managing somewhere else...

Feb 14, 2010
if i were the chairman, instead of paying him off in a lump sum (providing that was the offer) i'd carry on employing him and pay him his regular wage then get in another manager to share his role (houllier & evans). At least that way he can't take the money and then land a job straight away effectively giving us the middle finger.

I would just say fine "stay as manager" and keep a very close eye on him and his press conferences. he can manage even if he did fail last year to get us promoted.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
All so unnecessary. Gus wanted to to leave and i think most fans agreed that it was perhaps time for a change of management for next season. So why bother with this farcical suspension nonsense. In reality, Gus has all the power - he's the one who's highly sought after.

I find it really sad to see so many negative or even aggressive comments about Gus on here now. I assume this is exactly what the club are trying to achieve.

Whatever happens now or whatever anti-Gus stories are leaked to the press, he'll still go down in history as one of the all time greatest Albion managers. I still love him and always will. We were utter turd when he took over. Under Gus we've played by far the best football i've ever seen in my 20 years plus of following the albion and provided me with some amazing and very special memories. Tony build the stadium, but Gus built the Albion on the pitch. Thanks Gus. I hope you do well at Swansea next season and i'll always treasure your time in charge.

yep:albion2:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
You are making a big assumption there, on the direction money would be moving, in that proposed offer. Offer was probably the wrong word for the argus to use. 'Settlement' might have been better. You don't know that the 'offer' presented to Gus, was not for example, to let him walk, in return for £500k compensation payable BY him to the club.

I've been thinking the same since I first read the article this morning. There's a of of people on here making some very loose assumptions based on a Naylor article. Let's hope the club finally get this sorted with sufficient information coming to light so that people can stop spouting bollox.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
When we KNOW so little, I don't understand the strong anti-Poyet feeling over this.

Read the press conference after the Palace game and that should explain it to you. Also he failed to gain promotion when he had the likes of Wayne Bridge in the side.

Thank you, but I have.

Neither are feathers in his cap, but I very much doubt either are the central issue he is facing a disciplinary over, and certainly doesn't explain the suspensions Tanno (now lifted) and Oateat received.

The club could be right, but the possibility also exists that the club have acted poorly over this. My point is that I don't understand the weight of feeling against Poyet until we know more

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
'his very public want-away attitude towards the end of the season. He was agitating to create this situation where his position would become untenable' not sure about your interpretation myself

I heard radio sussex sports journalist (cant remember his name) say that that since about March time Gus was talking to him and all the sports journalists as a group in a very different way and that his whole body language changed - this guy's view was that something had actually happened to bring about this change.

So all I am suggesting is that maybe Gus wasn't 'agitating to create this situation' maybe what we witnessed was simply his reaction to something/someone ... that's all

Well, that could be something inside the club. Or something outside it - like interest from another club or the feeling that he needed to jump ship to keep Project Poyet on track. We don't know.

What I do know is that his public pronouncements from the Reading approach onwards were not typical of a manager pursuing promotion or with any intention of staying at that club beyond the next decent job offer.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Why would they offer to cancel his contract and miss out on a compensation fee from a future suitor ?
Doesn't make sense.

Because someone in the club genuinely believes we'd get 25mil for him.

This shows him as all about money. On the pitch moaning about budgets, off the pitch all about budgets. Now in the boardroom, it's all about money.

Anyone want to defend him?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Because someone in the club genuinely believes we'd get 25mil for him.

This shows him as all about money. On the pitch moaning about budgets, off the pitch all about budgets. Now in the boardroom, it's all about money.

Anyone want to defend him?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ahh, another one for the ignore list. Excellent.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
If Gus really had breached his contract - this would have ended some time ago.

The club has clearly let professional procedures surrounding Gus' SUSPECTED breach of contract let get in the way of common sense, in the process destroying the fantastic chairman/manager relationship between TB and the best manager in the history of the club. It should have only been a meeting behind closed doors and none of this should have happened.

Gus is totally within his rights to reject a resignation if he has been treated unfairly.

Whoever is responsible for suspending the management team needs to be SACKED. Is it too late for TB to make peace with Gus and the management team?

my apologies to Giraffe........ I just found an infinitely more ridiculous statement!

BTW it was Tony Bloom who authorised the suspensions. All bridges have effectively been burned.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Completely this.

This suspension was absolute bollocks.

If they don't want him at the club for whatever odd reason then they need to pay him off.

It's not Poyet that wanted to go, it's the club that wanted rid of him, and have done for most of the season.

to say "it was not Poyet that wanted to go" has to be one of the most one-eyed and misinformed statements ever made on here.
The club have respected the law in suspending Poyet rather than throwing bundles of cash at him to let him go. Those who worry about the cost of football should applaud them..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here