Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wouldn't say it was assumption (or it didn't mean to come across that way), it was based on the argus article of an offer being made. You would hope that the argus had something from either the club or Poyet's people to make such a statement.

Once again, you don't know that 'offer' actually means a pay out TO Gus.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When we KNOW so little, I don't understand the strong anti-Poyet feeling over this.

Quite. It's why I believe the poyet anger is based more on the reasons I posted earlier, than for whatever it was he was suspended for allegedly doing.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
He may be within his rights but you're conveniently setting aside his very public want-away attitude towards the end of the season. He was agitating to create this situation where his position would become untenable. That's why people are understandably blaming Gus more than the club.

As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere between the two polarised viewpoints. I suspect an agreement will be reached where Gus still receives a handsome pay-off but not the full £2.5m or whatever amount it's now assumed to be.

But surely Gus doesn't hold all the cards? If it's going to cost a fortune to get rid of him anyway then what's to stop the club putting him on 'gardening leave' , unable to move elsewhere for 2 years. Vindictive but if it reached that stage, it'd be hard to say he didn't deserve it.

Top post.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

Over the years I have made many settlement payments to employees which might not be strictly justified or warranted but are intended to "oil tbe wheels" to resolve an issue expeditiously. Normal business practise and they leave with a reference they otherwise would not have. Certainly nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of the issue.
Your last statement is the nub of it. "Never accept the first offer" is an inviolable rule.
I would add that "dont get too greedy" is another

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When we KNOW so little, I don't understand the strong anti-Poyet feeling over this.

Read the press conference after the Palace game and that should explain it to you. Also he failed to gain promotion when he had the likes of Wayne Bridge in the side.

that last bit is a bit odd....anti poyet feeling because he failed to get us promoted.....apart from the obvious posters...i doubt that

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Poyet has said that he becomes a fan of any team he plays for or coaches, so as an Albion fan he obviously doesn't want to leave. How much would you have to be paid to quit the Albion?

Feb 14, 2010
I actually think he is a good manager even tho' he failed last season despite the likes of Bridge, Vicente and Ulloa in his squad. If he doesnt want to quit then fine, he can be manager, you dont have to like your employer or your employees as long as the job gets done.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
This. I personally am absolutely furious with the board, or any individual that is responsible for suspending the management team in the first place.

Why? do you know the outcome of the suspension's .
hmm.gif

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
All so unnecessary. Gus wanted to to leave and i think most fans agreed that it was perhaps time for a change of management for next season. So why bother with this farcical suspension nonsense. In reality, Gus has all the power - he's the one who's highly sought after.

I find it really sad to see so many negative or even aggressive comments about Gus on here now. I assume this is exactly what the club are trying to achieve.

Whatever happens now or whatever anti-Gus stories are leaked to the press, he'll still go down in history as one of the all time greatest Albion managers. I still love him and always will. We were utter turd when he took over. Under Gus we've played by far the best football i've ever seen in my 20 years plus of following the albion and provided me with some amazing and very special memories. Tony build the stadium, but Gus built the Albion on the pitch. Thanks Gus. I hope you do well at Swansea next season and i'll always treasure your time in charge.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

Completely agree with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports