Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet "on the verge of quitting Brighton"

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Seriously? Villa average about 10,000 fans more every week then West Brom, have got a European cup win to their name and are the biggest club in Britain's 2nd city. West Brom's ground and average will be marginally smaller than ours next year.

Villa are by far the bigger club with the bigger potential.

The European cup doesn't mean anything. Their squad is a mess, their wage bill is completely unsustainable and their fans are still convinced they're a massive club. West Brom have none of the delusion, they get good attendances and they have a good squad of players which only needs a couple of additions to maybe challenge for a top 10 finish and a cup. Villa probably are the bigger club overall, but right now it's a poisoned chalice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Won't be Wolves for sure.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The European cup doesn't mean anything.

Tell that to Roman Abromovic.

Villa's debt is only to the owner and thier wage bill isn't that bad. Villa could be a top 6 side with the right guidance. West Brom have reached thier potential - A mid table finish with the odd cup run thrown in.

ezmally

Sep 16, 2006
Hastings
Yeah born in brazil, but classed as english because hes been living here for years and hasnt played for brazil yet..

Please stop, its becoming painful to read now!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No you are right...that barcelona eh wankers! ..what have they ever won playing the "latin way"

A bit of thin ice bearing in mind they were knocked out by 10 man Chelski.

There is no such thing as perfect football. But I would say that the style of possession football that the current European and World Champions play is probably about as close to it as you can get.

Have you ever played a game against a team that keep the ball brilliantly? Because I can tell you it is f***ing soul destroying, there is nothing worse than running around unable to get the ball. You make mistakes and leave gaps, which the other team can then exploit, if they are good enough.

And they said the same about Holland in the 70s with their 'total football'. Spain are exceptionally good at the moment, and credit to them, but there still is a lot of media frenzy about them and they are certainly flavour of the moment. Spain have always tried to play a passing game but they have only won two tournaments in the last 40 years, both in the last 4 years. France won in 98 and 2000 but their not currently considered a great team. Spain, and for that matter Barcelona, are great at what they do because they have two exceptional midfielders, Iniesta and Xavi, who have come along at the same time. What will happen when they are both gone? Are there ready made replacements of the same calibre?

As for Brighton, we play a passing game but it currently bears no relation to the game Spain play simply because we only have one player, who may well leave before the start of the next season, that can actually play the game. Passing the ball around the back four and retaining possession is not the way Spain play. The best we can say is that we are still a work in progress and a lot will depend on what players come in during the close season as to how close we get to playing the spanish way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The best we can say is that we are still a work in progress and a lot will depend on what players come in during the close season as to how close we get to playing the spanish way.

Which isn't a bad thing to be saying at all in all honesty. I totally agree with the above, and we are rightly a work in progress developing at a steady if not rapid pace given the position of 2.5 seasons ago. I'd say this season was massive positive for that reason, and long may the upward development continue.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spain, and for that matter Barcelona, are great at what they do because they have two exceptional midfielders, Iniesta and Xavi, who have come along at the same time. What will happen when they are both gone? Are there ready made replacements of the same calibre?

As for this statement, you are aware Barcelona won stuff and played amazing football prior to Iniesta, Xavi and Messi!? It's as if Guardiola, Bakero, Koeman and Stoichkov never played!!

You're only statement that Spain "only won 2 tournaments in the last 40 years", that must be being said with some irony coming from what I presume is an Englishman!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A bit of thin ice bearing in mind they were knocked out by 10 man Chelski.

And they said the same about Holland in the 70s with their 'total football'. Spain are exceptionally good at the moment, and credit to them, but there still is a lot of media frenzy about them and they are certainly flavour of the moment. Spain have always tried to play a passing game but they have only won two tournaments in the last 40 years, both in the last 4 years. France won in 98 and 2000 but their not currently considered a great team. Spain, and for that matter Barcelona, are great at what they do because they have two exceptional midfielders, Iniesta and Xavi, who have come along at the same time. What will happen when they are both gone? Are there ready made replacements of the same calibre?

As for Brighton, we play a passing game but it currently bears no relation to the game Spain play simply because we only have one player, who may well leave before the start of the next season, that can actually play the game. Passing the ball around the back four and retaining possession is not the way Spain play. The best we can say is that we are still a work in progress and a lot will depend on what players come in during the close season as to how close we get to playing the spanish way.

Only one player? Have you been this season at all? How did we win the league last season without our one player? I would say it very clearly bears a relation. No obviously we are not as good as Barcelona. I blame Poyet, oh hang on, no I blame the FA, our budget, donkey's years of history, the climate and about 100 other things. We are not even as good as say Swansea, but we are playing the best if not the most effective football in the Championship or we are from my seat.

What we do not have is sufficient quality in key areas, we may or may not get that next season. We are a work in progress that is going rather well IMO...

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Time for Gus to show a bit of love. Perfect opportunity and should do it NOW if he has any regards for his army of worshippers.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Time for Gus to show a bit of love. Perfect opportunity and should do it NOW if he has any regards for his army of worshippers.
Fat chance of that,gus loves the speculation,like i said if villa or Westbrom approach him he's off,may even go wolves as they it seems have a great budget next season,gus will get frustrated and restricted with our budget and salary caps,he will say we can't compete with the rest.

We,ve seen enough managers come and go so not fussed one little bit:)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fat chance of that,gus loves the speculation,like i said if villa or Westbrom approach him he's off,may even go wolves as they it seems have a great budget next season,gus will get frustrated and restricted with our budget and salary caps,he will say we can't compete with the rest.

We,ve seen enough managers come and go so not fussed one little bit:)

When I say that I get slated lol...Agree with this, however I think Gus's stock might have gone down some what in the last few months (hence why he has toned things down a bit, talking himself up) so I think a prem club might see it as a bit to much of a gamble. Wolves may well come back in for him, but the one I think would really tempt him would be West Ham, if they lose the play off final. Which I think they will, as Blackpool will realise West Ham's weakness is their defence and I don't think West Ham will be able to keep the Blackpool attack out.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If Gus keeps being linked to every prem team that has a vacancy then that's fine by me, it means we have a top notch manager ! Don't think he will leave

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If he stays, great. If he goes, we get £2 million compo, great.

There is too much bed wetting taking place.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Gus Poyet is favourite for the Barcelona job and taking charlie and tanno with him, talks due tomorrow.

Rumour has it here in Crawley is that his 1st signing is going to be Ashley Barnes in a swap with Inniesta. Then Zara for £185m.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As for this statement, you are aware Barcelona won stuff and played amazing football prior to Iniesta, Xavi and Messi!? It's as if Guardiola, Bakero, Koeman and Stoichkov never played!!

You're only statement that Spain "only won 2 tournaments in the last 40 years", that must be being said with some irony coming from what I presume is an Englishman!

No I am well aware that Barcelona won stuff prior to Iniesta and Xavi but surely you admit that the euphoria over the way they play now is considerably higher than the way they played before. As for their previous success, prior to the xavi/iniesta/messi years, they only won the European Cup/champions league once. Man Utd have won it 3 times and Liverpool 5. That doesn't mean they played better football than the current Barcelona team play. Also, must apologise as I didn't include Messi as one of the key players in my original quote although of course he only affects the way Barcelona play and not Spain.

As for the tournaments won by Spain, what is wrong with that statement. Germany have won a host of trophies and they don't play football the way Barcelona play, neither do Italy and Brazil. I stand by what I said in that Spains success is based the quality of Iniesta and Xavi. Maybe they have others in the pipeline and maybe they don't. Time will tell.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
why the f**k would he want to leave when we are on the verge of greatness and join a shite club going in the opposite direction!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here