Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet "on the verge of quitting Brighton"

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Isn't this all just snowballing a bit from one article which is a rehash of another one last week, and has now been picked up on elsewhere?

Seriously think Gus will NOT be offered any of the vacancies, whether he'd accept them or not.

Wolves - Holloway, or the 1/5 favourite Danish guy

West Brom - Hughton

Villa - take your pick from many with way better CVs than Gus.
Thing about Villa is that if they take a manager in work then maybe that club would look at Gus.
Swansea or Wigan would make sense to approach him.

Or, can you imagine, Norwich :facepalm:

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I'd rather all this speculation over Gus' future happened in the close-season rather than halfway through it and affecting form. West Brom and Aston Villa will have so many names in the pipeline that we can't worry too much about the media stirring things up. It would be sickening but there's some fantastic managers to replace him if he did leave.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If Villa did come knocking on Mr Blooms door for Gus I am sure he would let him go, come to think of it any team willing to pay compensation.

I for one would think Gus would be mad to turn it down, and good luck to him.

Good managers are always wanted and it so happens we have one, something to be proud of.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Stories with absolutely no quotes whatsoever, never strike me as being especially accurate. What about that story suggests it's anything other than a journo just sitting at his desk, licking the end of his pencil and coming up with a possible manager / club combination? The story even tries to hedge it's bets by naming multiple clubs.

Nothing to see here.

it is what is known inthe trade as a easy 1-2.

1- make a claim that somethinhg is happening.
2 - write another story the following day carrying the denials from all parties that it was happening at all.

so 2 for the price of 1. lazy journalism but pay dirt if you are a freelancer

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I couldn't disagree more. Gus clearly wants to manage Chelsea or Spurs. In order to get there he has to keep improving and moving forwards. One way is to do that with us, as it has to be fairly likely that in the next couple of years he could get us in the EPL. Another way is to go to a struggling EPL club or a superior NPC club and improve them and move them on to a higher position, strenthening his reputation. However, what definitely won't attract Chelsea or Spurs is taking a relatively safe job and plodding along in the same position for a few years. Realistically, if he took over West Brom, all he can hope to do is to achieve exactly what they have done in the last two seasons - mid-table security. However, if he took over Villa, there is the potential to improve their league position by about ten places reasonably quickly. Even Wolves, if they promised him a good wedge of cash, might be a better bet than us for rapid advancement. But his career is dead in the water if he goes to West Brom.

West Brom is a stable club, confirmed in the Premier League for next year and with as good a chance as a number of teams of finishing somewhere between 7th & 16th. With a couple of astute signings and a decent coach, who's to say they can't do a Newcastle?

GP is an ambitious manager who I'm sure will take the shortest route he can to the top. Fortunately, he's also not stupid, so unless he sees it as the right move (i.e an opportunity to succeed at the right level with the support and control he enjoys at the Albion), he won't be going anywhere.

It's all pure speculation of course, but if WBA were to come in for him, I have no doubt that he would want to talk to them. And as much as I'd like him to stay, I really couldn't blame him if he were to go.

Villa would have the pull of being a bigger club, but seem to be in a total mess so I'd see that as a less likely destination - a club on the way down is going to be harder to turn around than a side that is ticking over quite nicely.

Wolves? I'd be surprised if Gus went to another side in the Championship, even though they are a bigger club.

We shall see... I still reckon the most likely outcome is for him to be exactly where he is at the start of next season...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I couldn't disagree more. Gus clearly wants to manage Chelsea or Spurs. In order to get there he has to keep improving and moving forwards. One way is to do that with us, as it has to be fairly likely that in the next couple of years he could get us in the EPL. Another way is to go to a struggling EPL club or a superior NPC club and improve them and move them on to a higher position, strenthening his reputation. However, what definitely won't attract Chelsea or Spurs is taking a relatively safe job and plodding along in the same position for a few years. Realistically, if he took over West Brom, all he can hope to do is to achieve exactly what they have done in the last two seasons - mid-table security. However, if he took over Villa, there is the potential to improve their league position by about ten places reasonably quickly. Even Wolves, if they promised him a good wedge of cash, might be a better bet than us for rapid advancement. But his career is dead in the water if he goes to West Brom.

I understand where you're coming from, but disagree completely. I think West Brom would be the perfect stepping stone for Gus at this time, they're not realistically going to be fighting relegation so they could have a good cup run and winning some silverware will deffinitely help Gus' cause when it comes to landing a bigger job in the future. Also, the Premier League experience is the most important thing and I can't see how going to a club like Aston Villa would help him. They are where they are in the league for a very valid reason, they're paying over the odds for average players and have a squad which has been so badly assembled it's incredible. Whoever goes to Aston Villa this summer, assuming they do the decent thing and sack the most overrated manager in the Premier League, will have a big job on their hands and it isn't one for Gus at the moment in my opinion.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Quite why anyone believes an ex News of the Screws muck raking journalist (and let's not forget a self confessed Palace fan whose dearest wish was ". . . to wear the red and blue sash strip of Crystal Palace") is beyond me
Quietish times now that the leagues have finished (except the Prem) and time for a bit of idle speculation which leads to banner headlines with no basis in fact

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Fair enough, but:

1) West Brom definitely are a potential relegation candidate. There is very little to choose between the teams at the bottom of the division and those at the bottom of the top half. Gus is inexperienced. If he got it slightly wrong, or took time to adjust, he could easily take West Brom down (as could most managers). Don't let a very good season under Hodgson make you think they're suddenly an established EPL club that can't go down.

2) I agree on the state of Villa currently, but all these problems only go to prove there is the potential for improvement. Gus will have to do something to catch the eye if he is to get the Chelsea/Spurs jobs. Taking us up and keeping us up comfortably (Swansea-style) would do the trick, as would revolutionising an existing top-flight club. I don't think finishing 12th with West Brom would. I see no better candidate than Villa. If he was allowed to move some of their players on then there is no reason why Villa shouldn't be finishing 6th rather than 16th, and if he did that then he would be in contention for the big jobs.

Wise words CB Wise words. IMHO Villa would be the only club out of that three he would go to and i dont think they will come knocking.......yet!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
it is what is known inthe trade as a easy 1-2.

1- make a claim that somethinhg is happening.
2 - write another story the following day carrying the denials from all parties that it was happening at all.

so 2 for the price of 1. lazy journalism but pay dirt if you are a freelancer

And the naming of 3 clubs is just a blatant scattergun approach. If and when Gus does leave, they have a shot at having named the club here, even without any knowledge whatsoever, and can reference this "scoop" from all the way back in 2012. "As we revealed 2 years ago, WBA have been chasing Gus for a long time."

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Total utter, fiction. Why do people even entertain this shit? 12 pages already! :facepalm:

Because, for some rather strange reason, the fact that Gus hasn't got BHAFC tattooed on his forehead and renamed all his family after Albion legends, that it must mean he is absolutely DESPERATE to get out of this job and into one where he will have far less of a say in off the field matters and policies, will have to spend years getting a new set of fans to appreciate passing, possession football, and work for a chairman far less supportive of him. All because we haven't got promoted to the Premiership at the first attempt in a brand new and expanding stadium

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fair enough, but:

1) West Brom definitely are a potential relegation candidate. There is very little to choose between the teams at the bottom of the division and those at the bottom of the top half. Gus is inexperienced. If he got it slightly wrong, or took time to adjust, he could easily take West Brom down (as could most managers). Don't let a very good season under Hodgson make you think they're suddenly an established EPL club that can't go down.

2) I agree on the state of Villa currently, but all these problems only go to prove there is the potential for improvement. Gus will have to do something to catch the eye if he is to get the Chelsea/Spurs jobs. Taking us up and keeping us up comfortably (Swansea-style) would do the trick, as would revolutionising an existing top-flight club. I don't think finishing 12th with West Brom would. I see no better candidate than Villa. If he was allowed to move some of their players on then there is no reason why Villa shouldn't be finishing 6th rather than 16th, and if he did that then he would be in contention for the big jobs.

West Brom have been comfortable mid-table for the last 2 seasons in the Premier League. Aston Villa are a club in decline. It wouldn't matter who Villa appoint, they won't be getting anywhere near 6th, or even 10th, next season. West Brom, on the other hand, have a good chance of being in that top 10 area with the right appointment. I'm not trying to talk Gus into going to them, but if you're comparing Aston Villa and West Brom as potential destinations for him, there really is only one winner in my opinion. Unless he wants a massive task with a delusional set of fans and a financial mess.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not trying to talk Gus into going to them, but if you're comparing Aston Villa and West Brom as potential destinations for him, there really is only one winner in my opinion. Unless he wants a massive task with a delusional set of fans and a financial mess.

Seriously? Villa average about 10,000 fans more every week then West Brom, have got a European cup win to their name and are the biggest club in Britain's 2nd city. West Brom's ground and average will be marginally smaller than ours next year.

Villa are by far the bigger club with the bigger potential.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here