Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surely Reading can only wait for so long for a decision.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It always baffles me at how poorly done these management discussions are. Why do we even get to know who is in the frame. Can no one keep secrets in football.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Jonny Fordham from local Reading rag is on holiday skiing but could be set to return home for presser tomorrow.

Source: His Twitter

Looks like it could be off the slopes and into a press conference tomorrow as #readingfc are closing in on Gus Poyet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Come off it - there was absolutely nothing new in the Indy piece. gus has been sounding off about budget restraints in every press conference since we were promoted. Remember him saying that if he had Cardiff or Blackburn's budgets he would guarantee promotion and pay back his salary if he didn't deliver it?

Anyone who knows newspapers will have a fair idea of what happened yesterday. The Independent sports editor - an Arsenal fan, as it happens - asked Sam Wallace to do something on the Poyet to Reading story, gave him a word count, and SW had to knock it out while simultaneously working on two England stories. He probably had a word with a few of the other hacks at the England press conference and then expanded the few facts he had with some hearsay and vague memories (for example Albion's "failure" to sign a new striker in January - really?).

99 percent of the time, no-one knows anything. Remember when Mourinho left Chelsea? Big story, right? And how many papers saw it coming. Not a single one.

FYI, the Independent's head of sport called someone with a closer knowledge of the BHA situation this morning to get some more accurate background.

Everyone should shut up and read this. Even if you're not talking, shut up. And read it ^^^.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
A move to Reading for Gus would be a very big gamble for him in my opinion. If you look at their remaining 8 fixtures it's not inconceivable that they could lose all or most of them. Say at the start of next season in the championship they get a tough set of fixtures, possibly QPR, Nottm. Forest, Aston Villa, he could be looking at maybe 1 win in 11 or 12 matches an easily sackable scenario. Where would his career be then?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He couldn't be bothered to walk 10 meters to the toilet?

I doubt he ever does a watery one, the Gus, so he'll fire out a little polished pellet at such a speed that it would burrow deeply into the sand below him. Reposition the thread of his thong and roll over to tan his back and shuffle warm granules into the steaming hole his sparkling bullet left behind it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon Reading have rung the Albion about Gus, the Albion have an understanding that notice of any interest will be passed on so they've told Gus, he's said yeah I'll speak to them, Barber has said he wants to be there, they've had a meeting with Reading at Gatwick, Gus has gone on holiday saying he's going to think things over for a few days - maybe 48 hours - and he'll let everybody know, hence this period of limbo.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gus gives it until tomorrow morning to make a decision, having had a full day to make some calls and a night to sleep on it. He isn't going to want his whole holiday taken up with this speculation as his missus will be pissed off. Also, he'll recognise Reading will need an answer fairly quickly, and that the longer he leaves it the worse it is for him as reagrds the Albion.

If, for whatever reason, it goes on beyond tomorrow then I'd say the chances of the move happening are reduced. I see Adkins is favourite for the Leeds job, so he has a Plan B too.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I can't see this mentioned anywhere, but I may have missed something.
I listened to the Five Live Football Daily Podcast after the Palace game & Gus was interviewed after by Ian Payne (pleb) who couldn't resist asking about when Gus would leave. Gus said what we already know, he wants the Premier League, with or without us. He then put to Gus the Reading interest, Gus was shocked, genuinely. It was quite un-nerving to listen to because in my opinion there sounded genuine excitement in his voice.
I'm away on my ship at present with very slow & expensive wifi, but surely someone can post a link.
Apologies if already mentioned.

Reading, oh my days.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
image.jpg

A reading reporter has just tweeted this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Jonny Fordham from local Reading rag is on holiday skiing but could be set to return home for presser tomorrow.

Source: His Twitter

Looks like it could be off the slopes and into a press conference tomorrow as #readingfc are closing in on Gus Poyet

View attachment 40647

A reading reporter has just tweeted this.

You were beaten to it, but I like the effort you have shown with the pic from your iphone. :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Brighton could turn to Karl Robinson, boss of League One's MK Dons, if Poyet goes..."

Yes, we COULD, Daily Mirror. Then again...

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Who still thinks that Gus will stay?

I think he’s on his bike.

Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Poyet" I can't work with this budget Mr chairman.....Bloom" best you f@!# off then and I will find someone who can".....maybe tony bloom is making decisions here and not Gus......in bloom we trust!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From The Reading forum "Hob Nob Anyone"

Pretty Football - Can our squad adapt?
by SPARTA » 21 Mar 2013 13:13

I read somewhere on here recently that someone (many) doubted the current crop would suit a passing style if Adkins or Poyet came in. I disagree.

Leigertwood actually looked a lot more composed when he was encouraged to play short tidy passes. The stats proved (on the OS) that most passes were forwards and sideways, not backwards. Yes United sat back a bit, but that was partly down to how organised we were, so much so they were playing the ball into corners to keep us quiet in the dying minutes. United, at home, keeping the ball in the corners!

We have the bright young Akpan, who has already shown his eye for a cutting pass. Karacan is a bit of a headless chicken, but he too is a talented young lad who can be coached to keep it, play it simple, and not hit it into the channels, or as he often does, over hit his pass. Some of his passes resemble a shot, he hits them so hard! There is also Danny Guthrie, who I suspect will be first out the door this summer, but if that were to change, we have some creativity in the side, and he already has it in him to slow the pace down and dictate play - or certainly the early signs were there until he was 'dropped' / 'injured' for questioning Brian's direct approach.

You look at the wingers here, and from a Championship perspective, we have some bloody good players there. These would thrive on a passing game, where we create space and look to open sides up with a killer ball. We have pace in abundance, and pace hurts teams at every level.

We will see many ins and outs this summer, and hopefully a top end budget to support the new manager, but the basis of a decent side is very much here in my opinion. I certainly feel we're better equipped for a passing game now than we were when Brendan Rodgers came in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here