Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Hi guys,

Reading fan in peace.

While I'm excited about the prospect of having Poyet as our manager, I'm concerned it might be too much of a step up for him. McDermott's main failure was not being able to manage the big egos, and with Poyet only dealing with League One players, I'd worry about how he'd get on with the more established players.

Still, you play nice football from what I've seen, so it will be a welcome change.

Looks like Hob Nob have sent over a WUM!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hi guys,

Reading fan in peace.

While I'm excited about the prospect of having Poyet as our manager, I'm concerned it might be too much of a step up for him. McDermott's main failure was not being able to manage the big egos, and with Poyet only dealing with League One players, I'd worry about how he'd get on with the more established players.

Still, you play nice football from what I've seen, so it will be a welcome change.

You're absolutely right.

Could you write to your chairman and enlighten them. Make sure they understand that he's had NO experience of managing any big names at all. He just doesn't understand how top flight footballers like Wayne Bridge, Vicente and Kuszczak's minds work. The man is incompetent.

Give them a call before it's too late and you're left with this tremendous BURDEN.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hi guys,

Reading fan in peace.

Step up!
League 1 players!
You need a reality check.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Things that dont add up to me:
1: He is one of the favourites to get the Chelsea job which is definitely for the taking at the end of the season, this could be his only chance to get that job,
I dont see him passing that opportunity to take a job at a club that are about 1/16 to be relegated.
2: Why do our fans have beef with Reading F.C., they have chanced their arm & asked for premission to speak to a great manager.
Doesn't mean he will go. (Its similar to a bloke eyeing up your bird in a nightclub, dont get pissed off & start a row take it as a compliment).
3: WHY would he leave us just as we are on the brink of the play offs for the premier league.
HE IS GOING NO WHERE....now back on the GUS BUS

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You're absolutely right.

Could you write to your chairman and enlighten them. Make sure they understand that he's had NO experience of managing any big names at all. He just doesn't understand how top flight footballers like Wayne Bridge, Vicente and Kuszczak's minds work. The man is incompetent.

Give them a call before it's too late and you're left with this tremendous BURDEN.

And Matthew Upson.. he's definitely a Lg 1 player.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I find it incredible he's even taking 24 hrs to consider this. They are v likely to be relegated, no guarantee they will be able to reproduce last seasons form without Mcdermot therefore leading to a sacking from the impatient chairman if theyre not doing well. In the meantime we could finish the season well, get into the playoffs and who knows maybe even be in the premiership next season whilst gus is back in the champ. More likely we'll both be in the champ but with a pretty even chance of promotion with the team hes building here. Seems all v strange

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesnt seem to take a lot of money to move the odds on those type of bets..judging from past stories
Indeed, which suggests not much has been put on Poyet.
I'm surprised they're still taking bets, done deal IMO. It'll be interesting to see who Bloom gets in and how the new boss uses our world class players.
So how much money have you put on Gus going?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Poyet's recent comment regarding Murray's exit speak volumes now. Especially(if true) taking into account what was mentioned in that Independent article. Maybe the relationship between Bloom and Gus isn't as great as some people might have thought.

Come off it - there was absolutely nothing new in the Indy piece. gus has been sounding off about budget restraints in every press conference since we were promoted. Remember him saying that if he had Cardiff or Blackburn's budgets he would guarantee promotion and pay back his salary if he didn't deliver it?

Anyone who knows newspapers will have a fair idea of what happened yesterday. The Independent sports editor - an Arsenal fan, as it happens - asked Sam Wallace to do something on the Poyet to Reading story, gave him a word count, and SW had to knock it out while simultaneously working on two England stories. He probably had a word with a few of the other hacks at the England press conference and then expanded the few facts he had with some hearsay and vague memories (for example Albion's "failure" to sign a new striker in January - really?).

99 percent of the time, no-one knows anything. Remember when Mourinho left Chelsea? Big story, right? And how many papers saw it coming. Not a single one.

FYI, the Independent's head of sport called someone with a closer knowledge of the BHA situation this morning to get some more accurate background.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

He has a very hot wife. Yet to see him splash the cash, but presumably part of the appeal for Poyet (if he comes) will be the promise of funds, so guess we'll see how the summer goes.

Ye well we now the wife bit (who doesn't)..but if he was going to splash the cash why didn't he sack McD in Jan and give the new boss the dosh then

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
Just so you know, about 95% of us know we will be playing in the Championship next season (and tbh i think the board know it too) - what we are looking for is someone to re-shape us and take us back up, the money will be there and a majority of the players will stay.

The major concern us Reading fans have with getting Poyet, is the tiki taka football, Brendan Rodgers tried that with us and it was dire and nearly got us relegated......so unless the transfer budget is going to be huge for Poyet to play with (to bring in the right players), i can't see him being our new manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here