Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet at it again!

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
You can just imagine his "discontent" has increased ever so slightly in the hours since Sherwood was let go, can't you?

Will he hold out for gross misconduct clause to kick in this time? Always leave under a cloud with your bridges blazing merrily. That's my motto.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No we don't - we want the MANAGER to be given complete control over the AVAILABLE budget. Two completely different things. I for one don't blame Gus for wanting that and we probably wouldn't have lost two talented managers / head coaches if they had been given that control.

EDIT - I'll add, if Gus had been given that control IMO we would now be in the Premiership with Gus at the helm.

Pretty poor effort at imitating ENREST.

Nonsensical enough but lacking sufficient capitalised words.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And because of that you are taking my opinion with a HUGE pinch of salt. Which is exactly what should be done with the article the OP is referring. That article is no more than the opinion of the journo, and should be treated as such.

It was ever thus. Poyet hasn't said anything, the Daily Mail (sigh) has printed an article with an opinion by a journalist, and Poyet has already confirmed that he is staying at Sunderland, but some on Nsc still want to start threads about him!
We have our own problems without looking around for others.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I doubt very much that Poyet will be Sunderland manager when the new season kicks off.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Off to spurs I reckon. Bet Bridcutt is gutted he didn't wait the season out with us now.
On another note now that Sunderland are remaining in the prem did the deal for Bridders include any further advances to us in that scenario?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I thought that Poyets contract at Sunderland included a release clause if relegated, and for him to agree, he felt it only fair that there should be a clause allowing him to walk away if he kept them up and this too was included in his contract when he joined Sunderland.

This just seems to be wild speculation based on this clause existing and i doubt he intends to walk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can't see Poyet hanging around at Sunderland a moment longer than he thinks he has to. If West Ham, Spurs or even Villa came knocking he'd be off. If not this summer then in the autumn when the Premier League sacking season begins.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Can't see Poyet hanging around at Sunderland a moment longer than he thinks he has to. If West Ham, Spurs or even Villa came knocking he'd be off. If not this summer then in the autumn when the Premier League sacking season begins.

Why would he go to West ham or Villa, both have been there or there abouts at the bottom in recent years, get a lower support and probably dont have as much money to spend currently, Spurs on the other hand I understand given European football etc

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No we don't - we want the MANAGER to be given complete control over the AVAILABLE budget. Two completely different things. I for one don't blame Gus for wanting that and we probably wouldn't have lost two talented managers / head coaches if they had been given that control.

EDIT - I'll add, if Gus had been given that control IMO we would now be in the Premiership with Gus at the helm.

Really, why do you think Poyet has any financial sense and Garcia spends the budget that he has and then tenders his resignation. Managers should be consulted, identify players but should not spend the clubs money, in the same way that Burkew and Barber should not influence the style of play by the head coach/manager.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Happy with however it ends, and if it ends this summer so be it, great season in the end including a cup final and staying up so done a good job for me
I'm pleased that you are pleased. Its a good news story.

:)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why would he go to West ham or Villa, both have been there or there abouts at the bottom in recent years, get a lower support and probably dont have as much money to spend currently, Spurs on the other hand I understand given European football etc

London>Birmingham>Sunderland.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You're making the simplistic assumption that giving control of the playing budget to the manager somehow excludes other personnel being involved. So the manager identifies a player and then discusses with them coming here. Others discuss with the players agent what the player is looking for and negotiate to an agreed point. These others then tell the manager, well Gus, it's going to cost you x from your overall budget. Do you still want him ?

The manager still has control of the budget in these circumstances. Sadly the club have clearly gone the other way where Burke controls how the budget is spent and tells the manager / head coach which players he can buy. If we're going to use this system then, in seasons when the manager is sacked for a poor performance then so should Burke. Currently he would appear to not have his performance connected to the results the team produces. If people consider Oscar failed ( whether that be via league position or just footballing style ) then so did Burke.

EDIT - and as for your "look who Poyet signed" statement, well yes, and he was highly successful in rescuing Sunderland from what looked like a guaranteed relegation. So the boy did good ( despite what the Gus haters would like to think ).

Players signed by Poyet in January

Liam Bridcutt 9 games
Ignacio Scocco 6 games
Santiago Vergini 11 games

Thats out of about 21 games. Yes he stopped them getting relegated but did so primarily with the existing squad. The report suggests that the board aren't convinced by his signings and are therefore reluctant to give him a free reign on transfers as he seems to think he should have.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think you are right with regard to London/SE PL clubs - he lives in Bromley, all his roots are in the London vicinity. Cannot see him fancying be in NE every day for training, for too long a period.

Don't think any owner should give him total control on spending. £3.25m was a ridiculous fee for CMS. Fair dues in that he did keep Sunderland up, but his own signings for Sunderland flopped I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here