Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Power of Attorney Question

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone know the best route for this, i.e, online or using a local solicitor? I’ve been quoted £900 plus VAT by a local solicitor for Lasting Power of Attorney for both my parents for property/finance/health/welfare, my dad having dementia (if that’s relevant), a figure that far exceeded what I’d expected.

Looking at gov.uk you can do it through them online for £164 per person:

‘It costs £82 to register each LPA unless you get a reduction or exemption. This means it costs £164 to register both a property and financial affairs LPA and a health and welfare LPA.’

Many thanks in advance.
I was in exactly the same situation. My parents chose to use a solicitor, but you can do it online and save the cash. My main concern would be if your (or anyone else's) dad's dementia is advanced enough that they could be considered unable to give consent. Although a parent giving POA to their children isn't something I'd expect to be challenged, unless they leave any other children out.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do it yourself. It's easy. You definitely do NOT need a solicitor, although your Dad does need to give his consent and be able to sign the forms.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you’re an adult, of any age, you bloody well need to do this. If you’re an adult in your 40s or 50s with kids, then you’re a fecking idiot if not already done. If even older then you’re basically a prize **** and seriously need to give yourself a talking to and get it sorted immediately. Like NOW!

The first thing I’m going to do is slap, hard, my parents when I see them again in another world…if one exists.
They’ve shortened my life, without a shadow of a doubt, by their unforgivable refusal to get this shit sorted believing in the fairytale ending of life, that they’d die oldest first, in their sleep, no years of complications, like some Wethers Original advert. Rather than the f***ing nightmare I’ve experienced and continue to because of things like dementia which **** me they never considered getting IN OLD AGE! But will likely kill half of us on here, and turn us into vegetables for years and years with all manner of problems.

So get YOUR POA’s (plural) sorted NOW! For the sake of your kids. Or I’ll slap you too in the next world!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
On a related issue, can anyone recommend someone (a registered public notary) in Brighton and Hove to make certified copies of a POA to send to financial institutions etc. I don't fancy sending the originals through the post. Ta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here