Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Power of Attorney Question

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anyone know the best route for this, i.e, online or using a local solicitor? I’ve been quoted £900 plus VAT by a local solicitor for Lasting Power of Attorney for both my parents for property/finance/health/welfare, my dad having dementia (if that’s relevant), a figure that far exceeded what I’d expected.

Looking at gov.uk you can do it through them online for £164 per person:

‘It costs £82 to register each LPA unless you get a reduction or exemption. This means it costs £164 to register both a property and financial affairs LPA and a health and welfare LPA.’

Many thanks in advance.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
1676886431237.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone know the best route for this, i.e, online or using a local solicitor? I’ve been quoted £900 plus VAT by a local solicitor for Lasting Power of Attorney for both my parents for property/finance/health/welfare, my dad having dementia (if that’s relevant), a figure that far exceeded what I’d expected.

‘It costs £82 to register each LPA unless you get a reduction or exemption. This means it costs £164 to register both a property and financial affairs LPA and a health and welfare LPA.’

Many thanks in advance.
I did it online when my mother had a stroke and gave up all responsibilities. There was only my brother and I who were close family so it went through quite quickly. If more people could have been involved I guess it might have got more complicated and long winded?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Many thanks in advance.
Both my wife and I arranged this online on gov.uk regarding our respective parents.

All quite straightforward with a few forms to sign at the end of it all.

Pretty simple, no need for solicitors, imho, unless it's complicated.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Online. I've done it recently for my mum who has been diagnosed with dementia. I rang her solicitor and he recommended I tried online! I downloaded the forms and got witnesses together, posted it and it was registered in about 4 months. Make sure you familiarise yourself with what witnesses etc you need and think about any expression of wishes (although you don't need to state this on the form).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recently did our using solicitors (rates similar to what you’ve been quoted) but there were other pieces of work involved as well (new wills, change of property ownership etc) so made sense to do it all together - overall cost wasn’t excessive as the wills were done without charge as part of the overall work. If it was simply the LPAs I would have done them online.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Online. I've done it recently for my mum who has been diagnosed with dementia. I rang her solicitor and he recommended I tried online! I downloaded the forms and got witnesses together, posted it and it was registered in about 4 months. Make sure you familiarise yourself with what witnesses etc you need and think about any expression of wishes (although you don't need to state this on the form).
I bet the POA lawyers will be busy in the Fulham area this morning after all those severe head injuries on Saturday……

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My wife did it for her dad a few years ago. She used a solicitor and said it was all very easy, understandable and painless. Not sure of the cost but it wasn't a factor or a talking point afterwards.

Why didn't she do it online? Well it may not have been available as it was a few years ago (about six), but also she's very 'old school' and doesn't do anything online if she can do it face-to-face.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We have recently done ours through our solicitor.
Cost was £800.00 so not far off what you have been quoted. I must admit, I was a bit surprised that the fee was that high. Anyway, sounds like it is quite straightforward to do it online and a lot cheaper.

kjgood

Many thanks in advance.
I completed two POA's one for financial and property matters and the second for Health and Social affairs for my mother using a local solicitor in Hastings at the back end of last year. Total bill £360 and a few pence in total. Appears you are being quoted a lot from what my experience was.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My neice has just done this on-line for her dad. She tells me it was reasonably straight forward, but involved a little work.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I was originally quoted 400 pounds for my own POA when making future arrangements for myself should I ever be in that situation. Please DO NOT pay a solicitor 900 pound to do it. The online process really is quite simple as long as signatories required are done in the correct order. The answers required are basic stuff plus the guidance notes are well written in idiot proof form to make the process easy.

Be prepared for a long wait to get it sorted. An average of six months is the norm assuming all is in order.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As other have said, do it online, take your time completing and once you finally get them registered make sure you get certified copies done. They have been absolutely vital to sorting out my parents finances and health care who both have dementia.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have done both types for both parents. All on line. All pretty easy. The only difficult bit was /is managing their affairs and sending off evidence. Get a few copies of the financial ones when applying as it costs a bit to get solicitors to provide separate certified copies.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I did both PoA’s for my late mother and subsequently me and the missus did our own.
The former via a kit bought at W H Smith, the latter online.
As long as you keep it simple then it’s fairly easy - and is absolutely the right thing to do. Everyone should have both a Finance and a Health PoA (in my opinion), you owe it to yourself and to your family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here