Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pounds and Ounces

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not mixed up at all. The politicians in power were all gung-ho for going out and out metric (like the good little Europeans they all were) but public pressure wasn't having it - or at least not all of it. I reckon they metricated as much as they could get away with, and wisely left it there.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Not mixed up at all. The politicians in power were all gung-ho for going out and out metric (like the good little Europeans they all were) but public pressure wasn't having it - or at least not all of it. I reckon they metricated as much as they could get away with, and wisely left it there.

But as far as I was aware Europe basically means - The Germans make up rules, the French bend those rules, the Italians and Spanish ignore the rules and the Brits follow the rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But as far as I was aware Europe basically means - The Germans make up rules, the French bend those rules, the Italians and Spanish ignore the rules and the Brits follow the rules!

The Germans make up rules, the French bend those rules, the Italians and Spanish ignore the rules and the Brits follow the rules........but sometimes manage to wring a reluctant opt-out from our masters in Europe. Just not often enough to persuade 17 million of us to want to stay in the bloody thing!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Too right, we would all be permanently pissed if we drank metric quantities of lager, or kill ourselves speeding at crazy KPH, thank God we wisely clung on to Pints and Miles.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too right, we would all be permanently pissed if we drank metric quantities of lager, or kill ourselves speeding at crazy KPH, thank God we wisely clung on to Pints and Miles.

I don't think we're supposed to agree with each other on a thread which is, sort of, about Europe!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think we're supposed to agree with each other on a thread which is, sort of, about Europe!

Don't worry, if you find me agreeing with you, just pretend I was being sarcastic.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Have you got £50k sat in your wallet , there are 2 fivers still to be found in general circulation that are worth a hell of a lot of american Hardgums and gallons of petrol .

The banknotes have the following serial numbers and quotes:
AM32 885551: "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more," from the Austen novel, Emma
AM32 885552: "To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love," from Pride and Prejudice
AM32 885553: "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of," from the Austen novel, Mansfield Park
AM32 885554: "I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good," from Pride and Prejudice

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
You know where you are with g and Kg. Pounds are ridiculas.

Utter rubbish.
For what it's worth, here's my tuppence
The metric unit was introduced to make dumb kids look smarter, as they couldn't count in base twelve......maybe in East Anglia they could, but your average townie just ran out of fingers and toes.
Generally, it's the wagon wheel syndrome. Rulers are shorter these days so they had to put a base ten on them. Wives are in imperial as well. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. Death is still in old money.......unless you want to end up 1.82m under, you'll you'll.....lost my train of thought???

I still remember some sound advice that was printed on the back of a packet of Co-op own-brand cornflakes, years ago:-

A litre of water's a pint and three-quarters.

Two and a quarter pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram.

You have not been charged for this information. I was, but you can have it for free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here