[Albion] Potterball failure?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Considering the radical change of approach in our play from last year it is not surprising either that things sometimes seem to go badly or that some fans are getting nervous. I remain convinced that Potter is the right choice but there are a few things I might do differently. In particular I might not tinker so much each game. For example I do feel that it was strange to relegate AJ to the bench after 2goals in 2 games which must have put his morale at an all time high.

After some doubt I am also with those saying we need an additional striker now. For whatever reason those we have are not scoring enough. This does not mean we should bin anyone simply we need alternative options. If we cant get a new one then my suggestion would be trying Maupay and Murray together or perhaps a lateral thought would be putting AJ upfront. Too many of our squad are reluctant even to shoot when they have a chance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The first sub killed us - then taking off Trossard meant we lost almost all width and any kind of pace. But then again Potter only has the team he has to work with.

IMO if we stay up there is a good 3-4 players that need replacing to fit in with Potter style of play

This,

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've had a look at Bournemouth's forum this evening and there is less hand wringing, and blame culture on there than there is on here. So we were total crap in the second half. It's happened before and it will happen again. Yes it's frustrating, but when you are a small club in the Premier League it comes with the territory. We gifted Villa a point, so should we abandon everything we have been trying to build since our new manager's arrival?

The only thing about 'Potterball' that is a failure is the cringe inducing term itself. We are not the proponents of 'Potterball', we are Brighton & Hove Albion and we always will be. Some weeks it will be dull, some weeks awful, some weeks it will be joyous and every now and then it will be the most life affirming thing you will ever experience. Saddling a modest, thoughtful and flexible young manager with such an embarrassing, hubris filled label, is not going to do him or us any favours at all.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
For much of this season I was lulled by the pretty passing, which is more watchable than the parking the bus of last season, but if we can’t win games (especially against the ever-dwindling number of teams below us) then what’s the point?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Playing every time from the back is wrong. You need to mix it up. We are soooooo slow at the back when it does go forward it’s instead of a keepers clearance being a 50-50 in the opposing half we get one 30 yards from our own goal.

This. So so much this.
We shouldn't be switching to hoofball but every once in a while we need Maty to play it long, just so we aren't so predictable!!!

Considering the radical change of approach in our play from last year it is not surprising either that things sometimes seem to go badly or that some fans are getting nervous. I remain convinced that Potter is the right choice but there are a few things I might do differently. In particular I might not tinker so much each game. For example I do feel that it was strange to relegate AJ to the bench after 2goals in 2 games which must have put his morale at an all time high.

After some doubt I am also with those saying we need an additional striker now. For whatever reason those we have are not scoring enough. This does not mean we should bin anyone simply we need alternative options. If we cant get a new one then my suggestion would be trying Maupay and Murray together or perhaps a lateral thought would be putting AJ upfront. Too many of our squad are reluctant even to shoot when they have a chance.

That reluctance is infuriating to say the least.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That reluctance is infuriating to say the least.

A lot of people discussing the atmosphere today, but to be fair there has been a distinct lack of goalmouth action over the last few seasons from us overall, and a hell of a lot of frustrating action in the final third. It's no surprise that the atmosphere has dropped off somewhat really

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I've had a look at Bournemouth's forum this evening and there is less hand wringing, and blame culture on there than there is on here. So we were total crap in the second half. It's happened before and it will happen again. Yes it's frustrating, but when you are a small club in the Premier League it comes with the territory. We gifted Villa a point, so should we abandon everything we have been trying to build since our new manager's arrival?

The only thing about 'Potterball' that is a failure is the cringe inducing term itself. We are not the proponents of 'Potterball', we are Brighton & Hove Albion and we always will be. Some weeks it will be dull, some weeks awful, some weeks it will be joyous and every now and then it will be the most life affirming thing you will ever experience. Saddling a modest, thoughtful and flexible young manager with such an embarrassing, hubris filled label, is not going to do him or us any favours at all.

Good post agreed, largely.

I think Potterball started off more as a joke, largely influenced by the media buzzword ‘Sarri-ball’ which was used to describe Chelsea’s style last season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Should’ve reacted with Bissouma or Gross on for Connolly by the 50th minute.

It was obvious the tide had turned, they’d packed midfield and that Connolly was a spent force.

Instead GP did a Hughton, nothing. Painful to watch, it was obvious they were going to score.

This is what we were all saying. Villa had us under cosh for ten mins in second half with no signs of abating. Clearly we needed to change things and phew, here comes the substitution and it’s....Montoya on for Connolly??? Five mins later the inevitable happens.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
we're not gonna win every game

I believe the results will come

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that

Rome also burned down. Get your head out the sand man, we’re in a relegation battle and all this wallpapering is starting to grate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is what we were all saying. Villa had us under cosh for ten mins in second half with no signs of abating. Clearly we needed to change things and phew, here comes the substitution and it’s....Montoya on for Connolly??? Five mins later the inevitable happens.

A catalogue of errors:

1. Villa dominated from 45 minutes, Potter acted on 68. Why FFS?

2. Alzate had been OK, why screw that up?

3. Montoya, no surprise with him, forgot that his number one duty is to defend (especially when we hold a lead and Grealish is a danger down that side). Failed to do that yet again. A host of PL wide players have thrived against MM - Fraser, Redmond, McNeil, Grealish. Whatever division we’re in next season, shirley there are right backs out there who can defend week in week out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Dunk very occasionally launches one forward (maybe twice today?) and Ryan will hoof it only if the alternative appears to be actually taking on an attacker in his own box, but generally it looks to me like we just want to pass, pass and pass some more. Also, I’m not talking about the times when we are desperate and forced to get rid, I’m saying that we should actively look to play faster, longer balls at times just to avoid being entirely predictable.

Pundits and commentators are repeatedly picking up on this and even mocking our pass pass and pass a bit more without causing any danger whatsoever. It’s getting extremely frustrating when on the edge of the 6 yd box we’re looking for one possibly two more passes rather than just ****ing pull the trigger please!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A catalogue of errors:

1. Villa dominated from 45 minutes, Potter acted on 68. Why FFS?

2. Alzate had been OK, why screw that up?

3. Montoya, no surprise with him, forgot that his number one duty is to defend (especially when we hold a lead and Grealish is a danger down that side). Failed to do that yet again. A host of PL wide players have thrived against MM - Fraser, Redmond, McNeil, Grealish. Whatever division we’re in next season, shirley there are right backs out there who can defend week in week out.

Couldn’t agree more. Second half was embarrassing, we never looked at the races. For a home side, against a team below us it was poor. We looked slow and physically weak by comparison (why do Brighton sides always have so many little weedy puny players down the years relative to the opposition?!) and GP waited far too long until changing things,

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Instead of Barber talking shite on talk shite about top ten finishes which is never going to happen unless we have a top ten budget do something now and give GP some quality players to work with.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Couldn’t agree more. Second half was embarrassing, we never looked at the races. For a home side, against a team below us it was poor. We looked slow and physically weak by comparison (why do Brighton sides always have so many little weedy puny players down the years relative to the opposition?!) and GP waited far too long until changing things,

They had pace, power and bite in the second half, all 10 outfield players.

Only Bernardo maintained that for us.

Similarly Sheffield Utd bossed us.

Are we a team of decent technicians, who are easily knocked out of their stride and tire when up against superior athletes?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Instead of Barber talking shite on talk shite about top ten finishes which is never going to happen unless we have a top ten budget do something now and give GP some quality players to work with.

I rate PB, but I cringe when TB or PB talk publicly in those terms. No, I don’t get the dream bit, when aired to all and sundry. The PL is a brutal slog on the football side, almost every side has spent bottomless pits of money on decent or brilliant players, every win has to be earned, relegation can be achieved with ease. Under promise and over deliver.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
2) Even when we do play out and work our way past the opposition’s front three/four men, we don’t have the drive and vision in midfield to take advantage of it by launching a quick attack. Instead, we dither and dawdle and allow that front three/four back into the game, making the whole process pointless. If we had intent to counter attack in the second half today we’d have scored at least one more goal as Villa frequently committed too many men forward but we didn’t even try to exploit it.

We had exactly the same conversation at the game today. A lot of the problem as well as the slow dithering in central midfield is the lack of width to move the ball on to when they have it, therefore invariably we go back again or end up crowded out. We really have been sussed out in a big way.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Moan, moan moan, moan, moan.

I've been pretty hacked off that decent posters like Swansman has been banned when total wankers like Timmy and the gloating fairy post and post and post.

What a shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports