Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe somebody post-Hughton that wasn't Potter might have turned it around a lot quicker? We'll never know. But Potter's first two seasons were excrement. There's many a chairman that would have got rid without indulging him in a third season
You say that, “excrement”, but Potter was in the process of turning a defensive team into a more offensive team, it simply is not a ‘click of the fingers’. IMO he managed to keep the best bits of Hughton and add more flair and attacking.

Turning round a playing style is a project and as Ten Haag and countless Everton managers and Forest, have found you can’t just throw money at it, there is a whole path to go on, so actually 3 season feels about right…..

He was lucky at Brighton to have the time, but it paid off.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Very much this and would add even extra spice to the fixture were it needed.

The only downside is that Potter might actually get their act together which of course we don't want :(

You think the throat slitting signage Ultras will wait a season and a half for him to come good? Especially if he asks if he needs a history lesson after a frustrating performance at Selhurst.

He’d be a mug to go there, Viera and De Boer experiences should spell that out to him. If he thought we were impatient he’ll have a wake up call!

Let’s hope he goes there :thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just don’t want Potter at that club.

He is our 2nd best manager of all time and is clearly too good for them.

Fortunately, I think he is too rich and arrogant to take that role. He’ll wait for a bigger one to turn up.

Tactically, he is on another level, similar to RDZ. His problem is motivation. He can’t inspire players despite knowing exactly how they should be performing. He could never make the likes of March believe that they could score goals. The XG for his teams was always astonishing but it was only converted into real goals and points in his last year with us.

If Potter has been away and worked on his weaknesses, he might do a fantastic job at Selhurst. I do hope he does not end up there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You say that, “excrement”, but Potter was in the process of turning a defensive team into a more offensive team, it simply is not a ‘click of the fingers’. IMO he managed to keep the best bits of Hughton and add more flair and attacking.

Turning round a playing style is a project and as Ten Haag and countless Everton managers and Forest, have found you can’t just throw money at it, there is a whole path to go on, so actually 3 season feels about right…..

With respect, you're projecting something onto Potter that was probably never there. The recruitment team was the star of that show. I'd suggest his positive input was next to nothing. Not that we'll ever agree. Guess we'll both be watching his next managerial appointment and subsequent performance to confirm our differing assessments of the bloke. But hope we can both agree that his next appointment will stamp the form on any reputation he may still have remaining

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Maybe somebody post-Hughton that wasn't Potter might have turned it around a lot quicker? We'll never know. But Potter's first two seasons were excrement. There's many a chairman that would have got rid without indulging him in a third season
Didn’t he make some remark that Covid was a blessing because there was nobody to boo them? I seem to remember him quipping that it may have extended his playing career by a couple of years! Maybe he is just lucky?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With respect, you're projecting something onto Potter that was probably never there. The recruitment team was the star of that show. I'd suggest his positive input was next to nothing. Not that we'll ever agree. Guess we'll both be watching his next managerial appointment and subsequent performance to confirm our differing assessment of the bloke
To what tactics?
If you don’t think the head coach/manager dictates this then I really don’t agree 😃

If you mean the recruitment then possibly, though I understand the head coach has the final say….. Read it somewhere.

As for Potter and next move, never warmed to him when he was here. He’s not as good as he thinks, and a team like West Ham would probably be a better fit for him, but any manager Potter or whoever will need time to turn a team’s playing style around.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I think this sums up Palaces problem eactly, the whole set up, is for a defensive minded style of play, and has been for a decade. It does the job of keeping them comfortably in the prem hovering between 15-10th, no real threat of relegation, no real chance of Europe.

Palace fans have now grown restless, partly because they have seen what we have done and the sucess its bought. The problem is that the board, the vocal fans, have shown they are not willing to wait for the 3 year period it will take to change the whole set up from First team to youth academy teams.
To some outside the club, it appears that Brighton achieved sudden success in the past 2.5 seasons, whereas the reality was that its taken 5 years or so, firstly to stabalise in the division which Hughton did, then 2.5 years of potter slowly changing the style and the squads, the acadamey changing to the same style of the first team, then De Zerbi to add the finishing touches. We all saw through Potters time the changing style, the periods of so nearly getting it right, and now the whole set up is geared to play the type of football we have come to expect, and that there are players waiting to come in when we lose first teamers to injusry of transfer.

I simply cant see Palace (or many other teams) allowing for the years it takes to get right, and as Palace showed with DB and PV they lose the nerve at the time when they should be holding it. PV had just gone through a run of 10 of the hardest games of the season, heading into a run of much easier games (on paper at least), had they held their nerve for another month, who knows what could have transpired

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn’t he make some remark that Covid was a blessing because there was nobody to boo them? I seem to remember him quipping that it may have extended his playing career by a couple of years! Maybe he is just lucky?
Covid may have extended Potter's playing career by a couple of years?! WTF. With the utmost respect, you've gone a bit head-mental there :lolol:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
:ROFLMAO: No, I was sure that was what he said. Made me laugh at the time.
Pretty sure I remember him making that joke as well.
Also worth remembering that lots of teams came back from the break during the first lockdown and played like complete shite for the remainder of the season. It was an achievement on the part of the whole club (including Potter) that we came back and were decent.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Pretty sure I remember him making that joke as well.
Also worth remembering that lots of teams came back from the break during the first lockdown and played like complete shite for the remainder of the season. It was an achievement on the part of the whole club (including Potter) that we came back and were decent.
You’re right. Wasn’t there a lot of away wins that people put down to the empty stadiums?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
And a world-class talent in Mitoma that he rarely used other than as an impact sub
Hardly. Mitoma was signed in 2021 and, as you well know, went straight out on loan to USG for a year. On his return, there were only 6 games before Potter left for Chelsea. Of those, he came on as a sub in the second match. And remember, that was just after a week after Albion had beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford for the first time ever in the club's history. It was also when Trossard had established himself as the natural first choice on the left-hand, attacking side, and was in the form of his life.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's because they were right then, and they're wrong now. You at least have consistency on your side.
Like I say, they were projecting properties onto Potter that were never really there. They're only now getting brave enough to admit that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here