[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of the problems was the massive squad, too big to train together, and the impossibility of using it as feed for a match day squad.

Poch wanted to reduce the squad. In this frenzy of continued acquisition, has he succeeded?

What a mess of a club.
Well, he's certainly shipped out a fair few big names that were likely part of the problem. Probably the same thing that Potter would have planned to do this summer.
Whether he's kicked out enough, and whether he'll be given time to rebuild, remain as unanswered questions.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hmmm. Not sure Chelsea is a blight on anyone’s record. Potter did not do his diligence on Chelsea, believed his own hype and walked into a complete shitshow of Boehly’s making. His learnings from RDZ @ Brighton is that he WAS overhyped and he needs to work on (a) being a better coach, (b) produce possession football with more successful attacking outcomes and (c) despite mentions of his oft-quoted masters in emotional intelligence, he needs to rethink how to instil belief and positive mentality into elite players.

This. Both his reputation and, I suspect his confidence will have taken more of a knock from what RDZ has done here, than what Potter did at Chelsea :thumbsup:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think he's waiting for Moyes to leave, West Ham perfect for him!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Potter has to be very careful about the next job he takes - he has to be at least to some small degree a success. Another debacle like Chelsea and he will be off the boards for most clubs who will adopt the attitude that his success at Brighton was down to the club and not the man (particularly as RDZ has walked in and the team haven't missed a beat).

Here is one out of left-field - Phil Parkinson is a limited coach - good at the grudge work of getting a team out of the conference and maybe L2 - but Reynolds is ambitious for Wrexham and has a lot of money - when Parkinson is pushed aside (which could happen by the end of this coming season - he will go for a much bigger name to replace him and that could be Potter with the idea that he will build the squad through the divisions. Reynolds needs to hire a few people and get them to intern at Brighton - there is a roadmap there to build the club from a low point - and he has the money to accelerate the process.
Plenty of history to get his teeth into

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think he's waiting for Moyes to leave, West Ham perfect for him!
This, then the England job soon after. The Chelsea debacle will not reflect on his career at all despite what some on here would like. We all know it is an impossible job.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Here's my take on this. Potter is bright, relatively young and a good football coach. He knew this and I suspect he placed himself somewhere pretty near the top of the coaching ability pile. Regardless of what happened at Chelsea (although obviously not good) DZ replaced him at the Albion and is quite clearly one or two levels better than Potter as a coach. The football has been transformed to the extent that even fans with no tactical awareness can see the difference. G Pott may be reflecting on what DZ is doing and what he needs to improve on in order to get near to DZ in coaching ability.
I’m not in complete agreement with this, RDZ has one style with variations within it. Potter had more fluid tactics that took about 2 years to bed in. One can only imagine where the season could have gone if he’d stayed. I think one massive error he made was the time it can take to implement his ideas successfully and consistently, consistency being the critical word.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In counselling I shouldn’t wonder. His confidence took one hell of a beating. I know he sold out but it’s the nature of the job. There are few in his position who would have turned it down. We look at it all with Albion coloured glasses on - not many in professional football view it the same. Whilst he completely pissed me off at the time, alls well that ends well. We have RDZ and a table topping football team. Potter probably has some regrets, a pile of money and a lot of angst.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes abroad again - get out of the PL rat race where his goose has been cooked.
I just hope he and his family are OK and can get on with their lives without some dipstick making their lives miserable.
All of this. I never felt comfortable on the hatred that was directed his way. In the grand scheme of things, he was just a guy who went for a job that he saw as a promotion (European football, more money, etc). In pretty much any other line of work that would not register but because of the emotive nature of football he was abused for it. And then he was abused in his new position and we all know how that ended.

I don't really care what he is up to now, but I hope he – and his family – are happy. Nothing else really matters.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I suspect he doesn’t want to move away from Hove all the time he hasn’t agreed another job offer as his kids are at ( a top school here )
How odd. I'd have expected him to be schlepping them off to Mile Oak Primary so that they were fully prepared for PACA to give them an education in how to vape and chew gummies.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
All of this. I never felt comfortable on the hatred that was directed his way. In the grand scheme of things, he was just a guy who went for a job that he saw as a promotion (European football, more money, etc). In pretty much any other line of work that would not register but because of the emotive nature of football he was abused for it. And then he was abused in his new position and we all know how that ended.

I don't really care what he is up to now, but I hope he – and his family – are happy. Nothing else really matters.
I feel perfectly comfortable with the way he was treated (apart from the threats thing, which was inexcusable). You reap what you sow and all that. Crap on people and you should expect it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Have seen West Ham, Everton and England suggested.

All have fans with famously low expectations and/or lots of patience, of course...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I feel perfectly comfortable with the way he was treated (apart from the threats thing, which was inexcusable). You reap what you sow and all that. Crap on people and you should expect it.
And that completely proves my point. Pretty much any other person – in any other profession – wouldn't be called out for crapping on people or told that they reap what they sow. No-one should 'expect' anything from strangers when they get a new job.

But hey, it's football and it's all a bit weird when you think about it :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whatever he's doing it will be what it will be
And that's he's major issue. He accepted the position he found himself or the team is or was in. He lacks drive to push forwards, he will never succeed. RDZ, even after a huge win always looks for more, never talks about the opposition only ever refers to us. He constantly challenges our players to achieve more, Potter would say it is what it is, no Potter you are in control to change it.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
How odd. I'd have expected him to be schlepping them off to Mile Oak Primary so that they were fully prepared for PACA to give them an education in how to vape and chew gummies.
Ha. My old schools (well pcc back then). Sounds like nothings changed.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

When he back with Chelsea everything was still pretty raw, they had also just taken Paul Winstanley, we were backing RDZ but still not won a game, and the last thing we wanted was to be turned over by them so they could justify their decisions.

I think anyone still holding a grudge against him now is a little odd. If he came back to the Amex, I hope there would be a better reception.

The issue now is Chelsea and the way they continually raid our club, I hope when we play them the atmosphere is even more hostile.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Haven’t read the whole thread so not sure if anyone thinks the same !
When RDZ is ultimately snatched by a Chelsea or another selfish elite (in their minds) club with only their well-being considered in their actions by them, with no thought or consideration to the club, fans or future of the club they are raping, then I would not be against his return here to continue the improvement he undoubtedly instigated in our club. Not the attitude of some on here I know and I can sympathise with their position but our club is bigger than any individuals, and if it’s to the benefit of BHA and Mr Bloom agrees then I won’t be anti return but would insist loyalty and integrity must be mutual. No more effing off at the drop of the sound of cash falling.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
And that completely proves my point. Pretty much any other person – in any other profession – wouldn't be called out for crapping on people or told that they reap what they sow. No-one should 'expect' anything from strangers when they get a new job.

But hey, it's football and it's all a bit weird when you think about it :shrug:
Fair point Greg. I guess football stirs a lot more emotions than other professions.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It wouldn't surprise me if he is not looking as he is probably receiving compensation until he returns to football, may be 1 or 2 seasons... I doubt he will give up £10m(?) For a chance at another club for less money and most likely a short time...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports