Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Waiting for work permit to come through apparently.

Weird you decided to log in and post yesterday… So where’s the permit? Is it coming by post? Could be worth someone checking the Sainsbury’s customer service manager it hasn’t been delivered there? They’re bust so perhaps best one of your staff pops up at lunch?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Palace and Spurs manager hunts remind me of the summer "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" both came out in the same month with the same basic premise.

Spurs is the "Armageddon" one, stealing all the headlines due to having bigger names and a bigger budget, but like "Deep Impact" the Palace struggle feels a lot more realistic.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Getting Favre or Nuno to agree to join them, I was actually thinking that Palace were punching above their weight.
Losing out on both makes me think that something is fundamentally wrong within the club, i.e. they have less budget to spend than everyone thinks.

At some point very soon they should swallow their pride and get a pragmatic coach like Chris Wilder or Steve Cooper. (I think Eddie Howe sees Palace as below him).

But please, please let Beaky Parish go for a vanity project like Thierry Henry or Patrick Vieira. That would just be the icing on the cake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its so silly. Spurs, Everton and Palace... There is plenty of managers out there and yet these clubs keep running around in circles.

How about Kjetil Knutsen from Bodö/Glimt in Norway? Or Michael Flynn from Newport? Plenty of quality managers both in Europe and the lower divisions. I guess trying with Favre was a step in the right direction, but I guess they will go back to the tired inbreeding now.

I think Benitez is going to end up coaching Spurs rather than Everton. Palace are either going to resuscitate Roy Hodgson or they'll end up with Cooper. Everton... no idea. Duncan Ferguson?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Its so silly. Spurs, Everton and Palace... There is plenty of managers out there and yet these clubs keep running around in circles.

How about Kjetil Knutsen from Bodö/Glimt in Norway? Or Michael Flynn from Newport? Plenty of quality managers both in Europe and the lower divisions. I guess trying with Favre was a step in the right direction, but I guess they will go back to the tired inbreeding now.

I think Benitez is going to end up coaching Spurs rather than Everton. Palace are either going to resuscitate Roy Hodgson or they'll end up with Cooper. Everton... no idea. Duncan Ferguson?

Thanks for the update Kjetil.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thanks for the update Kjetil.
:thumbsup:

Nah but they play remarkable football, get remarkable results and have made remarkable sales. Clubs spend a lot of cash scouting and signing young talented players from everywhere, I dont understand why they dont do the same with managers. Sign them based on attributes rather than based on how familiar their names are. Brentford signed Thomas Frank who no one had heard of and went up, Norwich did the same thing with Daniel Farke, Huddersfield had a lot of success with their German, Swansea did well with GP and now Cooper and previously a couple of others, Barnsley did well with Struber and Ismael. In the Premier League, Wenger came from some club in Japan, Fergie came from the Scottish league.

The eternal hunt for "someone with PL experience" or "someone with a familiar name" is poor, lazy club management.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
:thumbsup:

Nah but they play remarkable football, get remarkable results and have made remarkable sales. Clubs spend a lot of cash scouting and signing young talented players from everywhere, I dont understand why they dont do the same with managers. Sign them based on attributes rather than based on how familiar their names are. Brentford signed Thomas Frank who no one had heard of and went up, Norwich did the same thing with Daniel Farke, Huddersfield had a lot of success with their German, Swansea did well with GP and now Cooper and previously a couple of others, Barnsley did well with Struber and Ismael. In the Premier League, Wenger came from some club in Japan, Fergie came from the Scottish league.

The eternal hunt for "someone with PL experience" or "someone with a familiar name" is poor, lazy club management.

And we appointed a certain Mr. Potter…

I agree there’s a real lack of imagination with managers being considered.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I have been told the Sun are reporting that Potter is interested in the move to Spurs...

I won't read the Sun so can't confirm or deny this story.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Palace were way, WAY beneath him. Was never a fit.

Not according to the league table at the end of the season, they weren't...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Agree to a degree but cant rub their noses in it untill we finish higher in the league.

Who finishes highest in the league is a nice little game between us, but the real competition is who stays in this division whilst the other drops. It will happen sooner or later. It could even happen to both of us in the same season. For us, coming off on the wrong side of this would not be a change from the last decades, we'd just still be waiting. For them it would be a change of Blackburn/Burnley proportions: years of crowing, followed by years of eating crow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here