Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's all bullcrap anyway as both the Argus and Andy Naylor that no approach has been made for Potter, so it's a case of the media doing what they do best in making the news, not reporting it.

Still a shame there are millions of ****nuckles in this country that believe it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's all bullcrap anyway as both the Argus and Andy Naylor that no approach has been made for Potter, so it's a case of the media doing what they do best in making the news, not reporting it.

So no discussions are made with players or managers prior to a bid being accepted?

This comes up on NSC fairly often and I thought the consensus was this sort of thing does happen a lot unofficially.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So no discussions are made with players or managers prior to a bid being accepted?

This comes up on NSC fairly often and I thought the consensus was this sort of thing does happen a lot unofficially.

All these players and managers have agents and no doubt calls are made to agents to say hypothetically would X be interested in a move to Y, and that might have happened here but we have no evidence either way.

There is a difference between an official approach to the club and sounding someone out over a move, but there is a blurry line on tapping someone up.

I also know that even if a transfer hasn't been agreed a club can give permission for a player to discuss terms and then leave it to the clubs to discuss fees in order to speed the process up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
All these players and managers have agents and no doubt calls are made to agents to say hypothetically would X be interested in a move to Y, and that might have happened here but we have no evidence either way.

There is a difference between an official approach to the club and sounding someone out over a move, but there is a blurry line on tapping someone up.

I also know that even if a transfer hasn't been agreed a club can give permission for a player to discuss terms and then leave it to the clubs to discuss fees in order to speed the process up.

Exactly.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
According to The Telegraph (via The Express), Graham Potter turned down the chance to manage Tottenham Hotspur as he did not want to work with Daniel Levy.

The Lowdown: Potter flying
Potter was linked with the Tottenham job before Spurs finally settled on appointing Nuno Espirito Santo.

It seems the Brighton manager did well to stay with the Seagulls, though – the south-coast side have won six of their opening eight games in all competitions (75 per cent), with their only defeat coming against Everton (Sky Sports).

The Latest: Potter snubbed role
As per this latest report, Spurs did indeed approach Potter about making the move to north London.

However, the former Swansea manager did not want to make the switch as he did not want to tarnish his budding reputation by working for Levy.

The Verdict: Damaging for Levy
Tottenham’s search for a new permanent boss after the sacking of Jose Mourinho was a farce. They went through a whole host of candidates, including Antonio Conte (The Guardian), Gennaro Gattuso (ESPN) and Paulo Fonseca (The Mirror), before finally deciding to choose Espirito Santo – mainly, it seems, because he was out of work and obtainable.

Potter’s Brighton have enjoyed a fantastic start to the new term and look to only be getting better. It is early days, of course, but they are four points ahead of Spurs at the moment in the Premier League table.

This report is damning news for Daniel Levy, whose reputation is taking a battering at the moment, and one has to wonder where the future lies for the club if an up and coming manager would rather – with all due respect to the Seagulls – stay put than join a club who were in the Champions League final just a few short years ago.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to The Telegraph (via The Express), Graham Potter turned down the chance to manage Tottenham Hotspur as he did not want to work with Daniel Levy.

The Lowdown: Potter flying
Potter was linked with the Tottenham job before Spurs finally settled on appointing Nuno Espirito Santo.

It seems the Brighton manager did well to stay with the Seagulls, though – the south-coast side have won six of their opening eight games in all competitions (75 per cent), with their only defeat coming against Everton (Sky Sports).

The Latest: Potter snubbed role
As per this latest report, Spurs did indeed approach Potter about making the move to north London.

However, the former Swansea manager did not want to make the switch as he did not want to tarnish his budding reputation by working for Levy.

The Verdict: Damaging for Levy
Tottenham’s search for a new permanent boss after the sacking of Jose Mourinho was a farce. They went through a whole host of candidates, including Antonio Conte (The Guardian), Gennaro Gattuso (ESPN) and Paulo Fonseca (The Mirror), before finally deciding to choose Espirito Santo – mainly, it seems, because he was out of work and obtainable.

Potter’s Brighton have enjoyed a fantastic start to the new term and look to only be getting better. It is early days, of course, but they are four points ahead of Spurs at the moment in the Premier League table.

This report is damning news for Daniel Levy, whose reputation is taking a battering at the moment, and one has to wonder where the future lies for the club if an up and coming manager would rather – with all due respect to the Seagulls – stay put than join a club who were in the Champions League final just a few short years ago.

I'm not sure I believe that this actually happened - in whose interest would it be to let this information out? - but I'm certainly pretty relaxed about a possible approach from Tottenham.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm not sure I believe that this actually happened - in whose interest would it be to let this information out? - but I'm certainly pretty relaxed about a possible approach from Tottenham.

When he was first linked with the Spurs job, he played it down saying there was nothing in it and was committed to his job at Brighton.

Then weeks later after he was seemingly ruled out, he then came back in to focus and was linked again. But this time he switched position to say "That he wasn't interested in Spurs as it was the wrong time in his career to make that move". I thought people were saying at the time that the change in answer seemed to suggest Spurs had actually approached him.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Leaked perhaps? - it does happen! Someone who doesn't like Levy, perhaps?

That does seem to be the tone of the story, that Levy is holding Spurs back and they missed out on a manager as a result, and look at the mess they are in now, rather than being about GP specifically.

If there is any element of truth in it, it is good news for when Nuno loses his job in the next few weeks. Again stories being leaked that Nuno isn't getting on with players, they don't like his style of play and tactics etc..

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
That does seem to be the tone of the story, that Levy is holding Spurs back and they missed out on a manager as a result, and look at the mess they are in now, rather than being about GP specifically.

If there is any element of truth in it, it is good news for when Nuno loses his job in the next few weeks. Again stories being leaked that Nuno isn't getting on with players, they don't like his style of play and tactics etc..

Spuds are a basket case. Glad Barber Out isn't tempted to jump ship and join them to try and sort them out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Arteta was on the verge of losing his job over the last few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here