[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yep, I agree with that. I also agree that he needs to turn things around - he’s probably more aware of that than anyone else. I’m still positive about Potter, I just wish others were as well.

I wish I was positive about Potter. As soon as those wins start coming then I will be. For me both Leeds and Fulham are teams we can beat, but sadly I think they will be draws.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Guardiola ? Not sure there is much coming through the City ranks into the First Team. Phil Foden has had a very difficult path, and even now is fairly 50/50 despite some very good performances.

For as long as a club can afford to spend massively, why do they need to rely on an academy? It's the same situation at Chelsea, other wealthy clubs too.

How many Chelsea academy players have forced their way through to play regular first team football in recent seasons? very very few.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wish I was positive about Potter. As soon as those wins start coming then I will be. For me both Leeds and Fulham are teams we can beat, but sadly I think they will be draws.

Fulham maybe, but do you really think that Leeds are a team that we should be beating? I don't, they have far more quality than us, and a much better coach.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Fulham maybe, but do you really think that Leeds are a team that we should be beating? I don't, they have far more quality than us, and a much better coach.

Yes I do, because of their coach and defensive injuries. He plays one way and that will allow us to create loads of chances against them if we play them right. They have the second worst defense in the league because of it and the players they have injured. If our attackers are on form and we show the kind of fight we showed against Wolves in the second half we can win.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For as long as a club can afford to spend massively, why do they need to rely on an academy? It's the same situation at Chelsea, other wealthy clubs too.

How many Chelsea academy players have forced their way through to play regular first team football in recent seasons? very very few.

In the current team - Mount, James, Abrahams, Hudson-Odoi I guess.

But my point was saying that Pep was the only manager that mapped onto Tony vision, however given Pep limited development of Youth players I am not sure. And we'd never know

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Wow, Guardiola is the only manager better than Potter who will fit into our strategy???? If that is true then we should keep potter, but I can't believe that. I can't name anyone else but I can't believe that in the whole world there is only one person better than Potter all things considered.

It is not about FIFA games or wanting everything now, It about believing that we should fight to keep what we have now. I haven't lost faith in Potter because he isn't getting us into top 10 or europe. I have lost faith in Potter because I think he will get us relegated. I don't want something we haven't already got, I don't want to loose what we have.

Guardiola and potter share the same footballing ideologies and that is what I mean by Guardiola being the only manager I can think of that would fit into our strategy of how we want to play as a club.
But would Guardiola do better than potter if he was to take over tomorrow?i would say no.
If potter was to take over at man city would he be successful?I would say yes.
Its all about resources of which man city have in abundance and we are making the very best of what we have.
Potter at the moment is the best person for the job.
I can see what you are saying about holding on to what we have now but I believe things will be better after January .

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Correct.

I trust Tony Bloom and everyone at the club. Not a few moaners on NSC who want the manager out after a less than good result.

Did you want Sami Hyppia to stay because Tony Bloom did. After a less than good result? It was a shocking result. We haven’t had a ‘good’ result for months. The bloke is hopeless.

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Guardiola and potter share the same footballing ideologies and that is what I mean by Guardiola being the only manager I can think of that would fit into our strategy of how we want to play as a club.
But would Guardiola do better than potter if he was to take over tomorrow?i would say no.
If potter was to take over at man city would he be successful?I would say yes.
Its all about resources of which man city have in abundance and we are making the very best of what we have.
Potter at the moment is the best person for the job.
I can see what you are saying about holding on to what we have now but I believe things will be better after January .

I think there must be hundreds of managers who fit in the mould we want. Why would we build a structure that no one fits into?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think there must be hundreds of managers who fit in the mould we want. Why would we build a structure that no one fits into?

Yes,that is true.
Part of the reason we have set up this structure is not only for the seamless transition of new recruits into the club and from the academy but also for a new manager coming in.
Potter is also laying the foundations for his replacement at some point which is maybe why he was able to negotiate a long contract for himself but also because his job is a long term one.
But at this point I cannot see anyone else other than potter to do the job of standardising the way we want to play football.
We have been going through a process of getting rid of those that will never fit in and developing those that have a chance and highlighting the areas we need to improve and recruit accordingly.
We are now coming to the end of that phase and we will see a few go who have reached the limit of Thier development and don't make th grade,some who have showed they are good enough and new players to come in to increase our quality.
These first couple of seasons have been for potter to sort the wheat from the chaff and prove with statiscal evidence what he needs in terms of recruitment.
I think we will see a clearer picture after January and then we will really start to see some different results.

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Exactly.man city can go into other people's orchards and buy the best apples.
We will have to toil and grow our own or bring in a few slightly bruised ones we can clean up and maybe use.
But the thing is potter and Guardiola and man city and Brighton both want to play the same style.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Guess which team have conceded more from set pieces than us?

Leeds, oh no wait.. they are managed by the greatest coach in history aren’t they :lolol:

I’m a firm believer that defending set pieces is the responsibility of players not coaches, we had the exact same problem before Potter joined, we conceded too many from them and couldn’t take one for toffee. I’m sorry but I don’t care what coaching you have, Dunk, Webster, White, Veltman, Burn for example against Wolves should be enough to deal with set pieces.

Yes of course they should be but their not
What is the solution?...surely it has something to do with the coaching?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes,that is true.
Part of the reason we have set up this structure is not only for the seamless transition of new recruits into the club and from the academy but also for a new manager coming in.
Potter is also laying the foundations for his replacement at some point which is maybe why he was able to negotiate a long contract for himself but also because his job is a long term one.
But at this point I cannot see anyone else other than potter to do the job of standardising the way we want to play football.
We have been going through a process of getting rid of those that will never fit in and developing those that have a chance and highlighting the areas we need to improve and recruit accordingly.
We are now coming to the end of that phase and we will see a few go who have reached the limit of Thier development and don't make th grade,some who have showed they are good enough and new players to come in to increase our quality.
These first couple of seasons have been for potter to sort the wheat from the chaff and prove with statiscal evidence what he needs in terms of recruitment.
I think we will see a clearer picture after January and then we will really start to see some different results.

From what I remember Graham Potter said he was shocked with being offered a new long term contact so soon after joining. I can honestly say that I haven't read anything that suggest Tony has lost confidence in Potter or has even considered replacing him. I have to hope that Graham can turn it around because as much as I have lost faith in him I don't think he will be fired.

I agree that the structure of the club was set up so every person was like a cog so there is minimal disruption when one of them was given the push.

I have no problem with the idea of a transition period but I also believe results are important. staying where we are is important. I just don't believe Potter can bring either,

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I haven't got a manager in mind. I just think there has to be people out there who are better. The only thing I currently have against Potter is his ability to get us to win enough games to stay up. I think he is doing a good job with everything else.

It is unfortunate that this is a results based sport.

el punal

Did you want Sami Hyppia to stay because Tony Bloom did. After a less than good result? It was a shocking result. We haven’t had a ‘good’ result for months. The bloke is hopeless.

I hope, and I’d like to think you would as well, be proved wrong around the beginning of May. Let’s see and discuss then.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
From what I remember Graham Potter said he was shocked with being offered a new long term contact so soon after joining. I can honestly say that I haven't read anything that suggest Tony has lost confidence in Potter or has even considered replacing him. I have to hope that Graham can turn it around because as much as I have lost faith in him I don't think he will be fired.

I agree that the structure of the club was set up so every person was like a cog so there is minimal disruption when one of them was given the push.

I have no problem with the idea of a transition period but I also believe results are important. staying where we are is important. I just don't believe Potter can bring either,

Yes,I think you are right.i think I recall potter saying he was shocked now you mention it.
Maybe then it is a case of Tony bloom knowing this was a long term project for potter,a couple of seasons of identifying weaknesses and developing players and implenting the culture .
If you believe potter is not the right person then that's fair enough but at this point I believe it's far too early for me to think that way.
He has percy tau at his disposal now,moder coming in and I think we will see a striker in this window so I expect to see potter being able to further implement the style the club wants to see and results will improve.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Exactly.man city can go into other people's orchards and buy the best apples.
We will have to toil and grow our own or bring in a few slightly bruised ones we can clean up and maybe use.
But the thing is potter and Guardiola and man city and Brighton both want to play the same style.

And that is precisely the problem - you can play that way if you can afford to spent money on some of the best players in the world - when you have poorer quality players you end up getting exposed, struggling to get points - and then you are left with a team that is not set up for a relegation dog-fight.

For a team like Brighton the model should not be Man City - it should be the likes of Leicester (or dare I say Southampton) - both Rodgers and Hasenhüttl have been very impressive - a well run, well organised team, with pace and you find and keep a striker capable of scoring well into double figures every season.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Listen as much as I think there are very valid criticisms of Potter, having 3-4 threads started after each game about why he should be sacked is rather strange behaviour, in my opinion.

Why can't we just get behind him and support the efforts being made by all the team during unprecedented circumstances?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports