Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, defensive set pieces was a problem over at Swansea. The smallest and youngest squad in the league had issues in duelling in the air and having two mediocre Eredivisie keepers at his disposal definitely didnt help.

Cooper has done a good job at Swansea, they are incredibly boring to watch but have great defensive stability. What GP's record at Swansea would have looked like if he had access to one of the best goalies in the league (Freddie Woodman), a left back (of any sort, in this case Jake Bidwell) and then best attacking player in the Championship (Andre Ayew) as well as loaning two class players in Gallagher & Brewster would have been interesting to see. Its just not comparable though. Its like asking how well CH would have done with last seasons Brighton squad... ask a 100 people and you would get about a 100 different answers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A rather odd reaction to a game where set pieces were defended well and the keeper made a mistake so bad even Ryan wouldn't have made it.

Quite how Potter is responsible for Jelly Wrists Steele, I'll never know.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rubbish.
He played a strong team at Newport because HE was desperate for a win, any win. You could see it in his body language. He was on edge, tight, racked with tension all game. He couldn't watch at times. He is feeling the pressure that managing an underperforming squad brings. He still didn't beat a League Two side over 120 mins and was rescued by an extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shootout. Three of his first team regulars carried their onfield shooting ability into the shootout and he was rescued by two CB's and the goalkeeper.
He banked on a solid win to take into the next few PL games. He knows a solid defeat looms at City but he had no choice last night. He is without three of his star men and it was a chance for the fringe players to shine. That they didn't was down to an appalling pitch,a multitude of poor passes all nigh poor finishing and fine goalkeeping. Last night answered very few questions. We, at least got a glimpse of Percy Tau, who will fit in well, looking decent in link-up/build-up and showing no goalscoring aptitude whatsoever.
We know one or two things about Potter. He is clearly, not a good tactician from set pieces ( a vital part of the game ) He is pretty set in his ways. i.e We will play the same way, almost always, irrespective of circumstances. This is fine, if played with pace and accuracy. Anything less and it descends into a rather tedious, possession based display with no end product.
What we still don't know is how much he can adapt and learn. Time will tell.

Almost nailed it. I would say Zeqiri's acrobatic effort was not only a good set piece but also not poor finishing. A great strike and brilliant save. A few inches either side and that's in. Their keeper was inspired. He was very good.

I would also add that we are not clever or nasty enough to close down games. The only time I would be quite happy to see us keep the ball is in the last two minutes of the game when we're one up. If you can stroke it round for 93 mins you can do it for the final two. If not, buy a foul, hoof it into their corner, anything but head it meekly back to them and sit back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Almost nailed it. I would say Zeqiri's acrobatic effort was not only a good set piece but also not poor finishing. A great strike and brilliant save. A few inches either side and that's in. Their keeper was inspired. He was very good.

I would also add that we are not clever or nasty enough to close down games. The only time I would be quite happy to see us keep the ball is in the last two minutes of the game when we're one up. If you can stroke it round for 93 mins you can do it for the final two. If not, buy a foul, hoof it into their corner, anything but head it meekly back to them and sit back.

Indeed. We used to be 'plucky'. That has gone now. We are much better than that. But, as you note, cleverness and ruthlessness are what need to be added. I watched the Spuds game. At first I thought 'blimey, you're making hard work of this' but they weren't; they were being ruthless.

Oh well.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
These are Potter's and Hughton's stats after 53 Premier league games;
Potter - W10 D22 L21 F59 A78 Points 52
Hughton - W15 D16 L22 F53 A75 Points 61

For the percentages of those 53 games
Potter - W 18.87% / D 41.51% / L 39.62
Hughton - W 28.30% / D 30.19% / L 41.51%

After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth is there isn't much between them. It is worth noting that Hughton's record doesnt include the bad run of results at the end of that second season, which is largely what is held accountable for his sacking. The point I'm making is that prior to the bad run Hughton had, a lot of people were content for him to remain, and from the results that is largely where Potter is in terms of results/points.

Personally I think two decent managers having a similar records with our club, demonstrates how difficult it is to get a club to progress in the premier league. And begs the question, if you got rid of Potter who could realistically come in and do a better job. I think you would be looking for a miracle worker, one of those right place right time scenarios, but you can't plan for that you get lucky with them. I think we should keep faith with the plan, and let Potter build on what we have. Continuity is the only way to build consistency, and consistency is what you need if you want to progress in my opinion.

What a nice, balanced, sensible, long term and realistic point of view you have.

What on earth are you doing posting here? [emoji6]

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
These are Potter's and Hughton's stats after 53 Premier league games;
Potter - W10 D22 L21 F59 A78 Points 52
Hughton - W15 D16 L22 F53 A75 Points 61

For the percentages of those 53 games
Potter - W 18.87% / D 41.51% / L 39.62
Hughton - W 28.30% / D 30.19% / L 41.51%

After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth is there isn't much between them. It is worth noting that Hughton's record doesnt include the bad run of results at the end of that second season, which is largely what is held accountable for his sacking. The point I'm making is that prior to the bad run Hughton had, a lot of people were content for him to remain, and from the results that is largely where Potter is in terms of results/points.

Personally I think two decent managers having a similar records with our club, demonstrates how difficult it is to get a club to progress in the premier league. And begs the question, if you got rid of Potter who could realistically come in and do a better job. I think you would be looking for a miracle worker, one of those right place right time scenarios, but you can't plan for that you get lucky with them. I think we should keep faith with the plan, and let Potter build on what we have. Continuity is the only way to build consistency, and consistency is what you need if you want to progress in my opinion.

Consistency in team selection would be a good start, especially up front. He keeps twatting about with the strikers who never seem to get a run of games playing together.
I don't think he has a clue what his best 11 is even if they were all fit.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The OP is basically suggesting that he knows better than the people who run the Albion, I have got that right haven’t I?

TB didn’t do his due diligence on Potter, which is why we find ourselves where we are and not in mid table comfort.

Correct.

I trust Tony Bloom and everyone at the club. Not a few moaners on NSC who want the manager out after a less than good result.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Correct.

I trust Tony Bloom and everyone at the club. Not a few moaners on NSC who want the manager out after a less than good result.

In fairness we have had a run of mostly less than inspiring results although not as bad as some would have you beleive

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bad at defending set pieces, there would appear to be two solutions (neither of which require Potter to be replaced).

1. Don't concede free kicks or corners
2. Bring in another coach who has sole charge of sessions on defending set pieces.

Simples

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Consistency in team selection would be a good start, especially up front. He keeps twatting about with the strikers who never seem to get a run of games playing together.
I don't think he has a clue what his best 11 is even if they were all fit.

Given the shitness of finishing does anyone know our best combination?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bad at defending set pieces, there would appear to be two solutions (neither of which require Potter to be replaced).

2. Bring in another coach who has sole charge of sessions on defending set pieces.

Simples

What do we do with Bruno?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Opponents are scoring more goals having only 1/3 rd of the possession they used to have.

Potter is a lot "Braver" in the way he approaches games than CH was because that's what he has been brought in for and told to do.

But is he a better defensive Coach. Most certainly not .

Very astute point.
Is a bit of a worry, Grimes (albeit very brief) comments. I don't actually think set pieces are our biggest worry though. Which shows the mess we are in.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Simples

Our main defender, our captain has played 114 times in the EPL 296 times in his career, if he one, hasn't got the ability to organise his defence there's an issue. Two, if he believes there's something wrong with the set up as instructed by the coach, he should bloody well say something. He is a far better player than Potter could ever have hoped to be therefore he should show some leadership.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Rubbish.
He played a strong team at Newport because HE was desperate for a win, any win. You could see it in his body language. He was on edge, tight, racked with tension all game. He couldn't watch at times. He is feeling the pressure that managing an underperforming squad brings. He still didn't beat a League Two side over 120 mins and was rescued by an extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shootout. Three of his first team regulars carried their onfield shooting ability into the shootout and he was rescued by two CB's and the goalkeeper.
He banked on a solid win to take into the next few PL games. He knows a solid defeat looms at City but he had no choice last night. He is without three of his star men and it was a chance for the fringe players to shine. That they didn't was down to an appalling pitch,a multitude of poor passes all nigh poor finishing and fine goalkeeping. Last night answered very few questions. We, at least got a glimpse of Percy Tau, who will fit in well, looking decent in link-up/build-up and showing no goalscoring aptitude whatsoever.
We know one or two things about Potter. He is clearly, not a good tactician from set pieces ( a vital part of the game ) He is pretty set in his ways. i.e We will play the same way, almost always, irrespective of circumstances. This is fine, if played with pace and accuracy. Anything less and it descends into a rather tedious, possession based display with no end product.
What we still don't know is how much he can adapt and learn. Time will tell.

You are not saying anything I didn't say - We just said it in a different way - All I was saying was ; He wouldn't have been so desperate for the win if results prior to yesterday had been better and fans wern't on his back, he may not have felt he needed to play a full strength team.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Maybe guilty of overplaying a little bit too much. Often the hoof is the best option. Last night was a case in point. One up, with barely any time left, we still had players trying flicks and back heels and short passes around our own area. Hughton always had Murray as his ' foul winner ' A past master at going down, when it was needed. We seem to want to stick to the gameplan/the script almost irrespective of circumstance. Not only are we more lightweight, I agree, we are definitely not clever enough.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A rather odd reaction to a game where set pieces were defended well and the keeper made a mistake so bad even Ryan wouldn't have made it.

Quite how Potter is responsible for Jelly Wrists Steele, I'll never know.

Thats funny just fell off me chair.

I actually thought he must have forgot to put his contact lenses in but your terminology makes for better reading

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If i hear one of those women on MOTD, or Radio5, or TalkSport, or wherever saying 'they're not nasty enough', 'they're too easy to play against', 'they've no game management'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here