Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

matt

Mar 19, 2007
After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth is there isn't much between them.

I think you are being rather kind to Potter. Hughton's points return was 16% higher than Potter. Last season if we would have achieved 16% more points than we did, we would have finished two places higher in the table. It's not an insignificant difference.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I totally agree. All the negativity amongst the fans isn't helping. I think it forced him to play a full strength team at Newport on a bad pitch. Risking injury when many should have been rested and saved for the fight against Relegation.

Risking Injury? = Snowflake

Next up Man City, do you really think what happened in the FA Cup will make any difference to the next result?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do we need to get rid of the defensive coach then? Bruno something or other?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Why is he so stubborn about set plays? It's clear his way doesn't work and recently when asked, he said he disagreed and that the goals conceded were unlucky

That is worrying. He probably thinks Dan Burn has been unlucky at left back as well.

To learn from your mistakes you've got to admit them first.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem as I see it is we were (rightly) seen as being poor in attack under Hughton but OK defensively, and Potter was bought in to approve the attacking side at the expense of losing some of the defensive stability. However while we have lost that defensive stability we aren't really that much better at scoring goals, which is rather the point of playing more attacking football.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think you are being rather kind to Potter. Hughton's points return was 16% higher than Potter. Last season if we would have achieved 16% more points than we did, we would have finished two places higher in the table. It's not an insignificant difference.

There's a 9 point difference between them. Which I don't think is huge over 53 games. I think it's fair to say Hughton was marginaly better, but largely the records are pretty similar. The significance of that 16% certaibly depends on where you're sitting in the table.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Idea.

Clearly there are a large number who want Potter out, and it's fair enough to voice this

But there are always a load of threads about it

What if all were merged into one big Potter out thread, rather than having dozens pop up, every time we play badly

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The OP is basically suggesting that he knows better than the people who run the Albion, I have got that right haven’t I?

TB didn’t do his due diligence on Potter, which is why we find ourselves where we are and not in mid table comfort.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
FWIW, I'm still Potter in, but if he wants a crack at next season, i'd like to see him learn from his mistakes.

It's a fair comment that he has poor attacking players at his disposal.

He needs to be demanding money for a better striker, or if he can't get one, improving the ones he has.

He needs to be getting them concentrating for 90 minutes. Ridiculous how we can't hold a lead. Where's the winning mentality? The mental side of things would have been a big reason why he was appointed, but we're weak

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
These are Potter's and Hughton's stats after 53 Premier league games;
Potter - W10 D22 L21 F59 A78 Points 52
Hughton - W15 D16 L22 F53 A75 Points 61

For the percentages of those 53 games
Potter - W 18.87% / D 41.51% / L 39.62
Hughton - W 28.30% / D 30.19% / L 41.51%

After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth is there isn't much between them. It is worth noting that Hughton's record doesnt include the bad run of results at the end of that second season, which is largely what is held accountable for his sacking. The point I'm making is that prior to the bad run Hughton had, a lot of people were content for him to remain, and from the results that is largely where Potter is in terms of results/points.

Personally I think two decent managers having a similar records with our club, demonstrates how difficult it is to get a club to progress in the premier league. And begs the question, if you got rid of Potter who could realistically come in and do a better job. I think you would be looking for a miracle worker, one of those right place right time scenarios, but you can't plan for that you get lucky with them. I think we should keep faith with the plan, and let Potter build on what we have. Continuity is the only way to build consistency, and consistency is what you need if you want to progress in my opinion.

Good post, if I may build on that as well, Potter clearly plays the style of football TB wants and allows for the brave choice of blending youth into the ranks and lets be honest would they have a sniff with CH? Sticking with Potter allows for a greater shaping of the squad towards the future. I believe he will get it right but we may need upgrades in key positions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good post, if I may build on that as well, Potter clearly plays the style of football TB wants and allows for the brave choice of blending youth into the ranks and lets be honest would they have a sniff with CH? Sticking with Potter allows for a greater shaping of the squad towards the future. I believe he will get it right but we may need upgrades in key positions.

Spot on.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I think its a really key point to remember, that Potter wasn't just appointed to play attacking football, but to develop a side blended with players from the academy. That hasn't changed, that is a priority for the club. If Potter was removed, a new appointment would also have that as a remit. Personally I think Potter is the right manager to continue bring those players through and building the side. The building blocks are all there, we just need to be patient and keep faith.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The OP is basically suggesting that he knows better than the people who run the Albion, I have got that right haven’t I?

TB didn’t do his due diligence on Potter, which is why we find ourselves where we are and not in mid table comfort.

Bloom also hired Hyppia, whats your point? They dont get it right everytime.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I totally agree. All the negativity amongst the fans isn't helping. I think it forced him to play a full strength team at Newport on a bad pitch. Risking injury when many should have been rested and saved for the fight against Relegation.

Rubbish.
He played a strong team at Newport because HE was desperate for a win, any win. You could see it in his body language. He was on edge, tight, racked with tension all game. He couldn't watch at times. He is feeling the pressure that managing an underperforming squad brings. He still didn't beat a League Two side over 120 mins and was rescued by an extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shootout. Three of his first team regulars carried their onfield shooting ability into the shootout and he was rescued by two CB's and the goalkeeper.
He banked on a solid win to take into the next few PL games. He knows a solid defeat looms at City but he had no choice last night. He is without three of his star men and it was a chance for the fringe players to shine. That they didn't was down to an appalling pitch,a multitude of poor passes all nigh poor finishing and fine goalkeeping. Last night answered very few questions. We, at least got a glimpse of Percy Tau, who will fit in well, looking decent in link-up/build-up and showing no goalscoring aptitude whatsoever.
We know one or two things about Potter. He is clearly, not a good tactician from set pieces ( a vital part of the game ) He is pretty set in his ways. i.e We will play the same way, almost always, irrespective of circumstances. This is fine, if played with pace and accuracy. Anything less and it descends into a rather tedious, possession based display with no end product.
What we still don't know is how much he can adapt and learn. Time will tell.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Can we really compare the stats between CH with GP? Would we say one squad is better than the other? If so the stats aren't really a fair assessment.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Firstly, the club/team/manager are shielded from the negativity as we're not at games to remoind them

secondly It dodn't force him in any way, we have 20 odd+ players with PL experience and arguably ability.

Thirdly, professional atheltes should be fit enough to play football a few hours twice a week, we do have a squad remember. and as for the fight against relegation . . . . we've only seen 45 minutes so far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Everyone who stays in line can start tedious threads and, to an extent, do a 'Spence'. However if you do so, you run the risk of turning into a pub bore (thank goodness for the ignore function). Some heartening replies, though. Well done, boys and girls :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Rubbish.
He played a strong team at Newport because HE was desperate for a win, any win. You could see it in his body language. He was on edge, tight, racked with tension all game. He couldn't watch at times. He is feeling the pressure that managing an underperforming squad brings. He still didn't beat a League Two side over 120 mins and was rescued by an extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shootout. Three of his first team regulars carried their onfield shooting ability into the shootout and he was rescued by two CB's and the goalkeeper.
He banked on a solid win to take into the next few PL games. He knows a solid defeat looms at City but he had no choice last night. He is without three of his star men and it was a chance for the fringe players to shine. That they didn't was down to an appalling pitch,a multitude of poor passes all nigh poor finishing and fine goalkeeping. Last night answered very few questions. We, at least got a glimpse of Percy Tau, who will fit in well, looking decent in link-up/build-up and showing no goalscoring aptitude whatsoever.
We know one or two things about Potter. He is clearly, not a good tactician from set pieces ( a vital part of the game ) He is pretty set in his ways. i.e We will play the same way, almost always, irrespective of circumstances. This is fine, if played with pace and accuracy. Anything less and it descends into a rather tedious, possession based display with no end product.
What we still don't know is how much he can adapt and learn. Time will tell.

Good post . . . and I agree, although I'd add we do know that he doesn't appear to have adapted and learnt in his first 18 months. We did see a sniff of it at the restart and last 5 games last season, and in the second half Vs Wolves ( more players than Manager IMO)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here