Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter to West Ham?

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I don't think Potter will ever be our Head Coach again. I am not convinced there is any bad blood (although I have spoken to people close to the club who say he did speak to Chelsea in the summer before he went, this could easily be bollocks of course), I do think that Bloom and Barber will want to move forward when RDZ goes. The Potter chapter is done and dusted now, the successor to RDZ will need to be someone who is ambitious and doesn't see a ceiling or that we are little old Brighton.
I'm not so sure they would go for a very ambitious manager actually. Let's face it, Barber likes a healthy balance sheet and our model of selling our best and replacing with inexperience, is not typically what managers aiming for Europe want.

RDZ frustrations with his squad depth this season is evidence of that i.e Caicedo vs Baleba. When RDZ leaves, I suspect the clubs aspirations and targets for our new manager will stay as they have always been, a top 10 finish.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Very possibly true. I never got the feeling he enjoyed football management very much. Now he has the Chelsea money I doubt he's too bothered about getting back into it!
But he wouldn’t come back as manager - it would be coach.
I think he will still want to coach at the highest level - he is young and it’s what he’s qualified for and bloody good at it. He was naive to go to Chelsea where they wanted instant success - he’s a coach, not a magician. Any club or national side and its supporters would have to accept a 12 month period of limbo before he had them playing his way on a consistent basis.
Time heals, I’m not as against it as I was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They say, 'Never go back' - and TBF, the Albion haven't had good experiences when re-appointing previous managers, but regardless of the outrage that might be expressed by some on here, I'd be quite happy if he did return when RDZ leaves.
Eventually he took us to the highest league position we'd ever reached, playing good football, and set us off at a cracking pace the following season to give RDZ the start he needed to get us even higher and into Europe. He was good enough to be offered a plum job by a big (money-wise) club, and you can't really blame him for taking the chance. Now that he's more than secured his family's financial future, he might be more likely to stick with a project rather than chasing a fortune. All in all, we could do a lot worse.
So could Wet Sham, so it may become irrelevant anyway!

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
They say, 'Never go back' - and TBF, the Albion haven't had good experiences when re-appointing previous managers, but regardless of the outrage that might be expressed by some on here, I'd be quite happy if he did return when RDZ leaves.
Eventually he took us to the highest league position we'd ever reached, playing good football, and set us off at a cracking pace the following season to give RDZ the start he needed to get us even higher and into Europe. He was good enough to be offered a plum job by a big (money-wise) club, and you can't really blame him for taking the chance. Now that he's more than secured his family's financial future, he might be more likely to stick with a project rather than chasing a fortune. All in all, we could do a lot worse.
Wait. He mugs us off, becomes a snakey cog in the machine that nearly rips our club apart and you would welcome him back with open arms?

He was hard to warm to originally with his condensending and rediculously thin skin. I would not want him anywhere near our dugout again. In my view, his reappointment would split the fanbase badly.

"If I wanted a nice easy life, I could have quite easily stayed working at Brighton." Graham Potter.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree that he's a good manager but, no, I don't want him back

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wait. He mugs us off, becomes a snakey cog in the machine that nearly rips our club apart and you would welcome him back with open arms?

He was hard to warm to originally with his condensending and rediculously thin skin. I would not want him anywhere near our dugout again. In my view, his reappointment would split the fanbase.

"If I wanted a nice easy life, I could have quite easily stayed working at Brighton." Graham Potter.
Well, obviously it would split you from me. If he were to be re-appointed, it would split you from TB and PBOBE as well, wouldn't it. :shrug:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Only he knows if his stint at Chelsea and reflection afterward has led to some new ideas that will allow him to hit the ground running, rather than needing multiple seasons to get Potterball across to a new squad.

Until he does he won’t succeed in the PL, as there is no set of PL fans willing to sit through that long period of 2+ years where you’re never sure if you are actually moving forward or it’s a temporary one match mirage. I still maintain that Covid saved his job at Brighton, he’d have been gone if he’d served up some of those home performances in front of a crowd.

If he’s found a way to get his ideas across quickly, he’s a good coach and will do well. If he hasn’t then he’d be better off taking a championship or yo-yo team and given time to rebuild and get his ideas across.

If Tony Bloom thinks it’s right for him to come back, I’d accept it, TB’s rarely wrong, but I don’t want him back. I’d rather he went to West Ham tbh.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
But he wouldn’t come back as manager - it would be coach.
I think he will still want to coach at the highest level - he is young and it’s what he’s qualified for and bloody good at it. He was naive to go to Chelsea where they wanted instant success - he’s a coach, not a magician. Any club or national side and its supporters would have to accept a 12 month period of limbo before he had them playing his way on a consistent basis.
Time heals, I’m not as against it as I was.
In my opinion he's a complete football purist. I think he hates the commercial side completely,
which explains why he was swanning around in Sweden and doing opera as team bonding. The teeth sucking and dourness in interviews also reflects that. He'd still have to deal with it all as a coach.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Well, obviously it would split you from me. If he were to be re-appointed, it would split you from TB and PBOBE as well, wouldn't it. :shrug:
I can't say that I wouldn't be disappointed if they took him back. Not because hes not a good coach but because that ship has sailed and it ended sour. Judging by his reception at the Amex against Chelsea, it would indeed be a brave move. That's just my feeling on it though, maybe I am in the minority.

As you say, if you're comforted by the fact his first affair has enabled him to line his pockets, thus making it less likely of him cheating on us again, then good for you. I personally think I would find it hard getting behind him again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And if he takes him back, you'll be against Tony presumably.

OK, fine.
I love your attitude. I hope I'm as balanced in 10 years when I get to your age :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here