Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter to Palace

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Southampton would have been ideal but Russell Martin has got the gig.
West Ham would have been ideal but Moyes will survive due to getting to the final of the Inter-Toto cup thingy.
Spurs will be too nervous to take a chance after GP's Chelsea tenure.
Wolves look a possible Premier League destination if Julen Lopetegui walks due to lack of budget.
Leeds are a basket case and would be a decent possibility as they need some kind of calmness.
Leicester with their training facilities would be a good fit but their fans will be expecting an immediate return.

Probably somewhere in France, Spain, Germany is the most suitable if he's happy to relocate his family again.

Hindsight is a great thing but staying at Brighton delivering on a top ten target with the wealth of talent available would seem to have been a good choice.

But I suppose there were millions of reasons to take the Chelsea job.
I wouldn't be so sure about Moyes.
I think all the final guarantees is that he leaves without a boot up his arse.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He would be mad to take the Palace job. Can you imagine the reaction is they didn’t win for 5 or 10 games!
He wouldn’t last and when the inevitable sack happens he would struggle to get another job in the top flight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But we accepted Murray (and Mullery), even Gary ‘hoof’ O’Reilly didn’t receive too much abuse.

Sorry, @Harry Wilson's tackle but I still love Bruno, and we all make mistakes.
(Not that my wife goes on NSC, but to be clear this does not apply to her, oh sh!t she’s behind me)😧
I suppose what I meant was I don't hate him and I won't hate him more if he goes to Palace. It is, as always, what it is :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
West Ham would have been ideal but Moyes will survive due to getting to the final of the Inter-Toto cup thingy.
Wolves look a possible Premier League destination if Julen Lopetegui walks due to lack of budget.
Leeds are a basket case and would be a decent possibility as they need some kind of calmness.
Leicester with their training facilities would be a good fit but their fans will be expecting an immediate return.

Probably somewhere in France, Spain, Germany is the most suitable if he's happy to relocate his family again.

Hindsight is a great thing but staying at Brighton delivering on a top ten target with the wealth of talent available would seem to have been a good choice.

It is said he trousered £7.5 million for failing at Chelsea (out of a salary worth £60 million if served complete). I wonder how many years at Brighton it would have taken to cross the £7.5 million rubicon?

If it would have been another 3, he would have been a mug to have turned down the chance. Especially given that we were not looking, at the time, we would go up another level (despite being 4th when he left).

It was what it was.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I think and hope it’ll be Leicester. I really don’t want to be playing a Potter team in Premier League next season, too toxic still.

And as you say, a good fit. He took over at Swansea as they cut away all the EPL level earners. He was given a team of kids and absolutely excelled. He could do the same with Leicester. I think he’d take them straight back up with a proper pre-season.

And seeing that we don’t have a bitter owner or deputy Chairman, it’s likely we may loan them a player or two. It would be brilliant development for our future stars under his tutelage in the Championship, much better than the toxic hate filled club that is Leeds ****ing United.

He has had his karma. I wish him ill no more.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I can’t see him being in a hurry to find another job just yet. He’s now minted and can afford to take his time to find the right fit for himself and family. The way Chelsea get through managers is hardly going to reflect on his abilities is it. It’s not like Lampard was any great improvement unlike RdZ who took us to another level. Being out of work hasn’t stopped Poch getting the Chelsea gig and he was out for a year.

He’ll be back somewhere and Palace is easily commutable, look at Murray. It’s not as if he is a fan or anything and Palace have always had good youngsters. I still think he will end up at Spurs. They have a history of hiring ex Chelsea managers is my theory.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Potter is definitely a bit of a Nigel, he'll get them playing but wouldn't be too concerned as they'll probably score less.

The pantomime would be brilliant.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Now, where did I put my boos. The guy with a degree in emotional intelligence goes for an interview with his breakthrough club's arch rivals. Bit like Kloppy going for an interview at Everton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloke doesn’t want to move his family so Saints, Palace and Spurs would all be considerations for him. Much like the reason Muzza went there. Not a lot different to me commuting to East Croydon, Redhill or The City, all of which I’ve done.

Would make the derby absolutely brilliant fun and he famously doesn’t get it. Will take them two years to understand his style of play by which time a bored Prince Charming will have fired the revolver. Their fans will hate it. And Swansman will take up residence on the BBS.

Struggling to see a downside

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Now, where did I put my boos. The guy with a degree in emotional intelligence goes for an interview with his breakthrough club's arch rivals. Bit like Kloppy going for an interview at Everton.
Or Benitez going to Everton. No one would be that stupid!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It is said he trousered £7.5 million for failing at Chelsea (out of a salary worth £60 million if served complete). I wonder how many years at Brighton it would have taken to cross the £7.5 million rubicon?

If it would have been another 3, he would have been a mug to have turned down the chance. Especially given that we were not looking, at the time, we would go up another level (despite being 4th when he left).

It was what it was.
Had read he was on £2m a year with us.

If he’s taken 6 months money from Chelsea (£6m) and accepted severance of a year (£12m) you can see why he may have jumped.

Had he stayed with us for the 9 years to earn the equivalent I calculate that’s a cumulative 48 months of not picking up a home win over the period

stewart weir

Dec 14, 2006
Why would he take a Championship
Because it will be sold to him as a project and he’s failed with Chelsea so he will see it as an opportunity with a club that has money and potential. He needs to rebuild his brand and Leeds gives him that. If he comes back into PL and fails again I don’t think his reputation would recover and he would definitely go to a far lower/lesser team in Championship or Div 1

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Because it will be sold to him as a project and he’s failed with Chelsea so he will see it as an opportunity with a club that has money and potential. He needs to rebuild his brand and Leeds gives him that. If he comes back into PL and fails again I don’t think his reputation would recover and he would definitely go to a far lower/lesser team in Championship or Div 1
I don’t see Leeds fans having that level of patience- they will be looking for an instant fix. I agree a Championship club would be a good fit, somewhere he can develop a squad for a couple of years before taking them to the next level. Personally, I think he would have eventually got us into the top six but to do so again with another team he would have to start from scratch.
I also think that Leicester need a rebuild and may be the sort of club that would allow him the time he‘d need.
As far a Palace are concerned, it would probably piss their fans off, so maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bloke doesn’t want to move his family so Saints, Palace and Spurs would all be considerations for him. Much like the reason Muzza went there. Not a lot different to me commuting to East Croydon, Redhill or The City, all of which I’ve done.

Would make the derby absolutely brilliant fun and he famously doesn’t get it. Will take them two years to understand his style of play by which time a bored Prince Charming will have fired the revolver. Their fans will hate it. And Swansman will take up residence on the BBS.

Struggling to see a downside
The derby would be electric, something contentious happens and it would be like a nonce going to court in the prison van at the final whistle, but only if it got that far?

Potter, whilst having trousered Chelsea's dirty money, finds his career at the crossroads, wherever he goes, the first ten games are pivotal, if he starts well it will have been the toxic atmosphere at Chelsea, not him, if he starts badly, rightly or wrongly he remains a crap manager.

I think Palace is too big a risk for him, given the rivalry with us, and how well we've done without him.

If I was a betting man, I think he will look at the potential vacancies in the Championship and effectively reboot his career.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The derby would be electric, something contentious happens and it would be like a nonce going to court in the prison van at the final whistle, but only if it got that far?

Potter, whilst having trousered Chelsea's dirty money, finds his career at the crossroads, wherever he goes, the first ten games are pivotal, if he starts well it will have been the toxic atmosphere at Chelsea, not him, if he starts badly, rightly or wrongly he remains a crap manager.

I think Palace is too big a risk for him, given the rivalry with us, and how well we've done without him.

If I was a betting man, I think he will look at the potential vacancies in the Championship and effectively reboot his career.
I think he rates himself too highly to go to the Championship. Nothing wrong with having confidence in yourself, but as you say, it is high risk. I think a job abroad would be a better option, but if the Palace job is there for the taking then I'm sure he'll take it. Not many feasible other Premier League jobs out there for him without having to uproot his family etc.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think he rates himself too highly to go to the Championship. Nothing wrong with having confidence in yourself, but as you say, it is high risk. I think a job abroad would be a better option, but if the Palace job is there for the taking then I'm sure he'll take it. Not many feasible other Premier League jobs out there for him without having to uproot his family etc.
This is where I'm at. Going back to the Championship after 4 years in the Prem is an acknowledgement of failure, and he's not a failure or a manager in the PL. His stint as Chelsea boss arguably reflects worse on Chelsea than Potter. I also think that he's been vocal about going abroad again in the future, so that may be his logical next step.

The PL is a complete binfire of pressure. Palace fans will not warm to him. West Ham will be going through the same stylistic change as we went through, so will he want to do that again? Wolves look like they're in areal state financially...

Still, at least if he went to Palace we might actually get a win there for a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here