[Albion] Potter SHREDDED by Cascarino

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't we beat Arsenal and Man Utd then?

The issue for me isn't the attacking it's the three at the back, which for better teams is too easy to play against.

Nail on head as our CBs are not quick enough or good enough defenders to play that way. Horses for courses if you have the players to play it by all means do so but we do not have the players.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The great majority of Albion fans (no idea if you were included in their number or not) have spend the last 2 years frustrated at our team's ability to get up and support our isolated strikers.

Did anyone imagine there wouldn't be consequences?

Sometime's we'll get picked off sure ... but getting players up the pitch has meant we're not camped in our box constantly relying on last ditch defending to bail us out. It also means we might score a few more as well

However we set up against Leicester, we're dealing with different degrees of we'll probably lose. It's not necessarily the manager's fault if we do. If Duffy nails his header or Mike Dean gives Maupay a penalty, we'd have probably drawn or won.

A good old-fashioned 'THIS' :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't we beat Arsenal and Man Utd then?

The issue for me isn't the attacking it's the three at the back, which for better teams is too easy to play against.

There were four at the back and we haven’t got anything against an in form Top Six team, not even a point in 2 and a 1/3 seasons. We are easy to play against and beat however we set up against an in form top team. I will argue until I’m blue in the face that the United victories (which were fantastic, as was the win against Arsenal) all came against teams in a shit run of form.

Under Potter we are entertaining to watch in these defeats though....imo

I will concede however that top teams must love us going toe to toe with them under Potter, we may even have been architects of our own downfall against Chelsea and United but not against Leicester.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Imho, Potter was out-thought by Rogers, who got his tactics spot on.
We defended well 1st half, got a bit lucky but thwarted the pace of Vardy, Barnes and Perez because they were pressing us so well, they have a very good midfield as well as attack.
2nd half, they relaxed the press and we fell into the trap of thinking we were on top. We pushed up because we were in the ascendancy and they allowed us, because that brought Vardy's and Perez's pace into play, we were sucked in, one lost possesion , bang.bang, 1-0 to Leicester.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Stopped reading when he mentioned the formation, which wasn’t 3 at the back.

Thank feck somebody else has posted this. I’ve seen lots of people, as well as the the clueless Cascarino, suggesting we were using a back 3 with wingbacks. To me it was clearly a flat back with Dan Burn playing at left back again?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

We were undone by the pace of ol' ferret face and all his little elves. Same as many clubs will be this season. It was no contest on saturday.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
There were four at the back and we haven’t got anything against an in form Top Six team, not even a point in 2 and a 1/3 seasons. We are easy to play against and beat however we set up against an in form top team. I will argue until I’m blue in the face that the United victories (which were fantastic, as was the win against Arsenal) all came against teams in a shit run of form.

I will concede however that top teams must love us going toe to toe with them under Potter, we may even have been architects of our own downfall against Chelsea and United but not against Leicester.

You actually expect little old Brighton to get a result against any "in form Top Six Team"?

Say, wha ?

We might get a result if we are on top form and they have an off day.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But on that basis Tottenham doesn't count....... and we were brilliant - so actually we are worse off, as Utd outplayed us, as did Chelsea.
The first year we beat Utd, didn't they finish second?

You weren't the poster who said penalties don't count, when Ashley Barnes took them were you Icy ;-) ?

Seriously though, we never particularly gave it a go against Leicester IMO, as we were nowhere near them ability wise. 0 shots on target........
We didn't play with four Saturday we lined up at kick off with three and Montoya and Solly tucked in, in fact arguably almost a five. The MotD graphic is wrong.
Potter changed it as the game progressed, which he frequently does (thankfully).

Edit - And cock or not, Vardy stick aside, Cascarino is correct in his summary.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

Captain hindsight. What a cock.

It was a soppy missplaced pass that let Vardy run through for the goal.

We need a couple of player upgrades and a bit more practice, that's all.

Anyway, nice to see [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] has got a nice job after his dazzling career as a bogus Irish international :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Imho, Potter was out-thought by Rogers, who got his tactics spot on.
We defended well 1st half, got a bit lucky but thwarted the pace of Vardy, Barnes and Perez because they were pressing us so well, they have a very good midfield as well as attack.
2nd half, they relaxed the press and we fell into the trap of thinking we were on top. We pushed up because we were in the ascendancy and they allowed us, because that brought Vardy's and Perez's pace into play, we were sucked in, one lost possesion , bang.bang, 1-0 to Leicester.

He did.

But actually, IMO Leicester were brilliant, and whilst the goals we conceded were largely down to individual errors, we got what we deserved.

Just outclassed, nothing wrong with that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Even Lawrenson wouldn’t have been able to catch Vardy. The only chance we’d have had would have been a man to man approach where our guy was quicker than him. Not sure if we have one of those!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought March was said to be one of our quickest players.

He maybe, but his actual anticipation and reading of the game is not the best, which means defensively he is always reacting - see the first minute when he had no idea what was behind him. (Though neither Burn or Ryan could have given him a call).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He did.

But actually, IMO Leicester were brilliant, and whilst the goals we conceded were largely down to individual errors, we got what we deserved.

Just outclassed, nothing wrong with that.

100% this.
There is not much between them, Liverpool and City imho.
Have they got the depth of squad if they get injuries though

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Erm, I’m not sure if you were at the game, but it 100% was 5 atb in first half. March hardly ventured over the half way line in his LWB position.

This was switched at half time to what looked a more conventional 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

That's because every time he got the ball with space in front of him (quite often) he stopped, looked around like a little boy lost and passed the ball inside to an adult.

my opinion fwiw is that as the home team and seeing as we won our last 3 with ease, Potter probably felt we should just go for it so played an attacking formation. Had that been Manc or Liverpool, even at home i suspect it would have been a lot more defensive setup. We will get a very quick change to learn if this is Potter neivity in the very next match. Go to liverpool expecting to play the same and we will get hammered 6-0 +

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You actually expect little old Brighton to get a result against any "in form Top Six Team"?

Say, wha ?

We might get a result if we are on top form and they have an off day.

I expect NOTHING against an in form top team, it was just a comment to highlight the fact that I expected nothing on Saturday and I don’t next weekend either

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Against Southampton and Leicester we have been caught upfield going for a goal and ended up losing as a result. Both were gambles, the first time when down to ten men and the second against a team that is fantastic on the break. If you're going to take that risk, you can't afford to make the sort of basic errors that we did on each occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports